My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

shmabs

Explorer
I like where your skidplate is heading! I have built a few skids out of 1/8th in material with great results.

If i may offer some input:

~1x1x1/8th (or thicker) angle welded to the backside can add a lot of strength.
~bends on the edges can add some rigidity as well, if you don't have a good way of bending the plate, i have welded angle on the edges as well.
~construction washers, or small slices of tubing welded around the bolt holes make great hardware protection.
~drain holes (or speed holes!!!) are awesome letting sand/mud/water escape. Like you said, they are great for drain plug access.

All of the above, with the exception of the drain holes will add weight. I have found unsupported steel plate whether it 1/8th or 3/16ths can bend relatively easily when unsupported, but i have been able to build with a well braced 1/8th in. skid plate that is lighter than a 3/16 facsimile and still do its job. I don't expect to be able to jack up my truck off of my skids, but much like you I want protection above what the factory skids provide.

pictures to explain above.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I like what you did with your skid plate, looks great! Awesome tips too, I'll have to incorporate some of those into mine- thank you!

I did think about doing an X pattern but at the time it seemed to me that the point where the braces cross would become the point with minimal lateral support and where the plate might warp/bend if it did. That's why I ran them length wise where I could since that span is almost 4ft. So far I've drive the truck about 90 miles (granted only on the pavement) but despite the speed bumps, some induced flexing, heating/cooling etc the plate is still as straight as a ruler so far. I forgot to mention a similar skid plate (in 3/16") from a vendor was $260 to my door with shipping, mine cost me $52 and change.

txfactor76

Observer
I am surprised its so bad. I have the VG33 in my Xterra but I can get 18 or 19 hwy and 13/14 city

15/16 average for the life of the truck

Time for some new plugs etc? Seafoam perhaps?

I did a full tune-up recently so everything is fresh. Most of it is due to my tires and driving style. If I keep it under 70mph, I can get about 18mpg highway.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Speaking of fresh...I changed out the cabin air-filter yesterday. Wow was it dirty?

AF9B1466-0565-4DD6-983E-311132363ED3-11596-000006806992BAA0_zps60569625.jpg

duckhunter71

Adventurer
Dang man! I need to check mine, as well. I turned over 30k miles so I think I'll get the 30k mile service done on my next oil change which includes that. I feel like it needs changing as the a/c has a funny smell when you turn it on at first.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Speaking of fresh...I changed out the cabin air-filter yesterday. Wow was it dirty?

AF9B1466-0565-4DD6-983E-311132363ED3-11596-000006806992BAA0_zps60569625.jpg

Casualty of the desert running I presume! :sombrero:

Definitely need to do mine, it's just above the glovebox right? I'm assuming just a few screws?

Matto

Observer
I've been meaning to buy one of these and install it in mine - AU-spec cars didn't get the cabin filters. My local dealer could get the parts for $90, which I thought was a rip-off since CourtesyNissan could do it for $30. I was about to order from CN last week, but then realised that they wanted to charge me $180 for shipping. So now the $90 local option doesn't sound too bad!

Looking at that, I'm suddenly thinking of all the dust and general crud that must be floating around inside my car, and hence, my lungs.

Cheers,
Matto :)

txfactor76

Observer
Thanks for the link and info. I'm gonna get in there today to see if I've got them. If they do, I bet they'll be ripe! Unchanged for 200k miles lol

stioc

Expedition Leader
No knock-outs either to add them as per the how-to?

I know they can be retrofitted I'm just not sure what's involved though, I was hoping it was just breaking the knock-out slots that're there and popping the filter in.

txfactor76

Observer
Ya, I saw the knockouts, but I don't care to add them. I just wanted to change them if I did have them - and with 200kmi on them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy