My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
This past Sat I ran the Cleghorn trail with the ExPo guys, all 13 to 14 of us, of all different capabilities and varieties- more on that in a bit. Cleghorn itself is a dirt road, fairly mild but it has optional off-shoots that make it a challenging trail. Unlike many trails in and around BigBear, Cleghorn is not rocky (it does have some boulders but not a typical rock garden) but it's a great training ground because it has a lot flexing/articulation/rutting combined with steep uphill or downhill sections. Lots of 3 wheeling, even momentary 2 wheeling action and teeter-totting.

I was without a co-pilot so didn't get a lot of pics of my truck but someone took a few in a couple of sections. To get a better idea of what was traversed take a look at all the pics posted, starting on page 12 (along with the gallery links):

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/101062-Cleghorn-Shake-Down-Run-May-11th/page12

Here's a few of the Pathy. This was the first obstacle, the Subarus and a couple of other rigs opted to not touch it. It doesn't look steep but walking up and especially downhill wasn't easy. Our trail leader and friend 'nwoods' recently bought a Montero and wanted to shake it down. He has taught and led trails for years in his Rubicon and LR3. He made it up but there was a bit of struggle and drama. So when they asked me if I wanted to give it a go I said I'd give it a go. Lowered the tire pressure, put it in 4Lo, hit the locker button and the way I climbed up it was like I was driving on pavement. People outside were yelling ata-boy and Nathan said 'dude, you made that look too easy'. I think the locker and my attempt to try and keep the truck as level as possible did the trick.

cleghorn016_zps5e3c8b88.jpg

Who says IFS doesn't flex? it does, though nothing like the SAs.

DSC_0393_zpsc46bcb2a.jpg

DSC_0397_zps6a20d4f5.jpg

DSC_0398_zps8292a0a3.jpg

Check out the flex on the PowerWagon- 35" tires, fully locked and armor'd
DSC_0424_zps93fb79b3.jpg

Same section as above- the sliders did their job on this section.
DSC_0496_zpsa1994685.jpg

DSC_0498_zps95255a9d.jpg

DSC_0499_zps8ef76517.jpg

DSC_0511_zpsd32a3941.jpg

Overall I was very pleased with how the Pathy did. There was a 'Jeeps only' section that I shouldn't have tried but by the time I got to the difficult part it was too late to turn back. After making my way through some tough terrain I came up to the part where you crest the hill, there was a 4ft rock that was vertical like a wall. My pseudo 31" tires tried as best as they could but there was no way to cllimb it without a front locker, the tires were just too small. On my third go I gave it some more power and the whole truck pitched sideways, burried itself and we heard a hisssssssss - crap! did I cut my tire open? did I break the bead? I asked the Power Wagon to tug me up as I didn't want to break anything else. We threw the stap on it and I told him to go easy while I'll try to give it some gas. As he started moving forward I chose a slightly different line, gave it some gas and pop it went over the rock. I thought I got some help from the Power Wagon but I later found out he never even took up the slack. This was the part where I felt I beat up the truck a bit. There was another section with huge ruts and boulders but with a couple of rock stacking on the toughest obstacleI made it up without a problem. Oh the hsssss? turns out it was the exhaust stuffed in the dirt- oops.

nwoods and I had the smallest tires in the group (minus the Subarus which bypassed the technical sections), the smallest lift/ground-clearance too and we both had rear lockers (his are factory). Even he bypassed three sections but I made it through them thanks to the better tires and articulation- though nothing like the Jeeps, Dodge etc.

What I learned about my truck: The only thing holding it back is the ground clearance and small tires. May be the taller tires will address the lift too but even with the AC lift and 245/75/16 people think it's stock, it does look about as high as a stock 4runner. I put my tires for sale in the for-sale section here...I'm hoping someone would buy them so I can get the next size or two up.

Carnage: It did develop a clunk and a creak that I couldn't figure out exactly where it's coming from but it's steering related. It sounds like something is binding as I turn the steering wheel left/right (even when not moving). It won't do it on the painted floor in the garage (too smooth) but in the driveway it does and sometimes even when I pump the brakes making the front end dip. I can also feel it under my feet but I think it's coming from the steering linkage or the rack. I did find a slight slop in the steering rack; if I hold the tie rod and have someone move the steering wheel I can feel the slop which I don't on the passenger side. Though if I try to move the tie rod itself there's no movement leading me to believe the slop is in the rack.

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
What I learned about my truck: The only thing holding it back is the ground clearance and small tires. May be the taller tires will address the lift too but even with the AC lift and 245/75/16 people think it's stock, it does look about as high as a stock 4runner. I put my tires for sale in the for-sale section here...I'm hoping someone would buy them so I can get the next size or two up.

pictures look great, looks like a fun time, now that you cant give me grief anymore for getting my suspension lift ordered, its time for me to give you grief over your tires :elkgrin:

have you made a size decision?

XPLORx4

Adventurer
My 2 cents on tires:
Go with 265/75R16's. They are a good balance between weight, rolling resistance, and height. You will probably not be able to fit 285's (33") without replacing your wheels and getting a subframe drop.

If your Pathy is your daily driver, stick with an all-terrain tread such as your Duratracs. If its not your DD, get BFG KM2.

BTW, did you have any high-engine-temp issues? I see you had your hood cracked open.

stioc

Expedition Leader
pictures look great, looks like a fun time, now that you cant give me grief anymore for getting my suspension lift ordered, its time for me to give you grief over your tires :elkgrin:

have you made a size decision?

Haha, trust me I give myself enough grief but it's hard to justify buying another set after putting just 5k miles on my current tires. They are listed for sale so IF they sell I'll definitely be buying bigger tires. Depending on what the steering noise is that will take priority over the tires.

Haven't fully decided on the tire size, I'll say this though- while my 31s struggled on a couple of sections they still made it through with a wee bit of help. The rest of the guys were on either 33s or 35s. Even the guys on 33s had to work at it to get through the sections I needed some help. My point is that if I see my truck as an expedition rig (not a rock crawler) the 31 Duratracs have been fantastic! Getting great gas mileage etc. I'm just wanting to keep up with the Jones'- which is a slippery slope and isn't the smartest thing.

My 2 cents on tires:
Go with 265/75R16's. They are a good balance between weight, rolling resistance, and height. You will probably not be able to fit 285's (33") without replacing your wheels and getting a subframe drop.

If your Pathy is your daily driver, stick with an all-terrain tread such as your Duratracs. If its not your DD, get BFG KM2.

The Pathy is not a daily driver but I do drive it sometimes just to switch off between cars, I love the Duratracs and will probably get the same for my next set. Here's the size delimma, I want 33s because it seems to be the lowest common denominator for the off road trucks around here. To fit 33s though I would need to buy/build a custom front bumper and likely remove the fender flares. I'm not sure I'm ready to remove the fender flares...the bumper may be but adds to the expense. With the shorter wheelbase I think 32s would be a good compromise for me as you pointed out. However, I'm conflicted between the 265/75/16 vs. 235/85/16. I've been leaning towards the 235/85/16 which are very popular with the Land Rovers and mortonm and co-opski have been running them. They're just a touch skinnier than my 245s, a touch more diameter over the 265/75/16 (depending on the manufacturer) and within 2-4lbs weight difference of the 265s even with the E load sidewalls they come with. Skinnier means easier to clear, less rolling resistance and a taller look, e-load gives an added sense of safety when loaded down.

BTW, did you have any high-engine-temp issues? I see you had your hood cracked open.

I guess it was precautionary since it was a warm day, 87-90F up in the mountains, 102F down below- but thankfully no overheating, it actually ran much cooler than expected never going past 195F and usually hovering around 188-190F.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
FWIW, I have never had tires any larger than 32x11.50R15 or 265/75R16. I've run some pretty insanely difficult trails (Rubicon, Golden Spike, Hell's Revenge), and I haven't ever really felt like 33" tires would make that much difference.

If you're still running 4.363 gears, you won't be very happy with substantially altered speedometer error, lower actual fuel economy, and poorer acceleration/braking going up from 245/75R16's to 235/85R16's (over 6% taller).

Based on the type of off-roading you do, I would not advise spending $800 on 33's. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend replacing your 31's with larger tires until you get more seat time. Unless you were getting high-centered or dragging the undercarriage on even the mildest stuff, you're better off working with what you have until you can be more certain of what you should invest in next.

Rebelord

Semper Fi
For a little bit of added lift what about running Fluery's spacers? From NPORA? However with the AC springs, it may just magnify any top out issues. But he has 1" spacers for front and rear. Just thought.

stioc

Expedition Leader
FWIW, I have never had tires any larger than 32x11.50R15 or 265/75R16. I've run some pretty insanely difficult trails (Rubicon, Golden Spike, Hell's Revenge), and I haven't ever really felt like 33" tires would make that much difference.

If you're still running 4.363 gears, you won't be very happy with substantially altered speedometer error, lower actual fuel economy, and poorer acceleration/braking going up from 245/75R16's to 235/85R16's (over 6% taller).

Based on the type of off-roading you do, I would not advise spending $800 on 33's. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend replacing your 31's with larger tires until you get more seat time. Unless you were getting high-centered or dragging the undercarriage on even the mildest stuff, you're better off working with what you have until you can be more certain of what you should invest in next.

Well said and that would be the smarter thing to do. Are those All-Terrains 31s or 32s in the pics? My 31s unfortunately only measure about 29.5" or so. It's not a true 31" just that it's the closest to it in the metric size - even then it should be about an inch taller (30.4").

EDIT: btw, I haven't really dragged the undercarriage so far, just the rock sliders.

Funny I was talking to 'nwoods' about running the Rubicon and he said I should be able to but there will be scraping, especially bumpers due to the approach and departure angles, what do you think?

For a little bit of added lift what about running Fluery's spacers? From NPORA? However with the AC springs, it may just magnify any top out issues. But he has 1" spacers for front and rear. Just thought.

That's a good option, I already have front spacers sitting in the garage and I can make the rears or order them from Steve but I don't want to go any higher on the smaller tires. It's going to look funny- looks are important ya know lol

Last edited:

Rebelord

Semper Fi
Yes how it looks is a factor. But gives options is you sell your tires and move up to 32-33"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

crismateski

American Adventurist
From someone who was watching you go through, and "pulling" you through the rough spot. You were fine on the "jeep" only section, you had it, you just did not have the confidence in your self or your rig. I knew you did not need a pull, but an not going to talk someone into doing what they are not comfortable with. You and your rig are more capable then you seem to believe. Now, when we going out again

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
From someone who was watching you go through, and "pulling" you through the rough spot. You were fine on the "jeep" only section, you had it, you just did not have the confidence in your self or your rig. I knew you did not need a pull, but an not going to talk someone into doing what they are not comfortable with. You and your rig are more capable then you seem to believe. Now, when we going out again

Great to see you over here Cris! Thanks for the perspective, it's great to hear it from someone who was there watching and helping. Man I'll tell you the confidence definitely shakes when you're the smallest kid on the block. Speaking of which your PW is a bulldozer on those 35s now. Let's get another trip going...I just have to find some time to look into the clunking noise. Until then the Pathfinder's sitting in the garage licking its wounds lol

your rig is awesome, looks great and I love the updates.

Thank you!

ih8philly

Adventurer
Carnage: It did develop a clunk and a creak that I couldn't figure out exactly where it's coming from but it's steering related. It sounds like something is binding as I turn the steering wheel left/right (even when not moving). It won't do it on the painted floor in the garage (too smooth) but in the driveway it does and sometimes even when I pump the brakes making the front end dip. I can also feel it under my feet but I think it's coming from the steering linkage or the rack. I did find a slight slop in the steering rack; if I hold the tie rod and have someone move the steering wheel I can feel the slop which I don't on the passenger side. Though if I try to move the tie rod itself there's no movement leading me to believe the slop is in the rack.

I'm happy I had a chance to see your Pathfinder in action as Ive been following your build for some time. It's also nice to get a reminder that you don't need to be locked/locked on huge tires to make it over some serious obstacles. I think those of us with Jeeps get a bit blind to this fact because there are so many over-built Jeeps.

My TJ has developed another rattle in the dash as a result of this run. Hopefully it will go away with the next trail run.

Rebelord

Semper Fi
Stoic: I ordered up some of those Fourtreks skid plate washers. I did call them to make sure they were in stock and for other shipping options. I would too, as UPS pricing is wrong on their site and they will do USPS shipping. Which they did for me, cutting shipping costs to $8. Which came to me in 3 days. From Cali to Miami, Fl
With how much rock crawling you have in your neck of the woods. I think these would be perfect.
IMG_20130513_150047.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
I'm happy I had a chance to see your Pathfinder in action as Ive been following your build for some time. It's also nice to get a reminder that you don't need to be locked/locked on huge tires to make it over some serious obstacles. I think those of us with Jeeps get a bit blind to this fact because there are so many over-built Jeeps.

My TJ has developed another rattle in the dash as a result of this run. Hopefully it will go away with the next trail run.

It was great to meet you too Travis- your TJ is super clean and nicely done. Thanks for the compliment and I agree with you on over building. I think a lot of us are just being prepared for what we might encounter whether we actually do or not. There are of course the few exceptions where they actually do use their rigs to their capabilities. In my case conquering rocks is not my cup of tea but a few fun obstacles along the way keeps things interesting for me especially areas not easily accessible to the casual SUV driver so I can get away from the daily grind once in a while.

Hope you get the rattle figured out. At least it isn't anything you need to be really worried about.

Stoic: I ordered up some of those Fourtreks skid plate washers. I did call them to make sure they were in stock and for other shipping options. I would too, as UPS pricing is wrong on their site and they will do USPS shipping. Which they did for me, cutting shipping costs to $8. Which came to me in 3 days. From Cali to Miami, Fl
With how much rock crawling you have in your neck of the woods. I think these would be perfect.
View attachment 160926

Thanks for the close up pics and the info man, can't wait to see them on the skid plate. I'll have to get a set soon.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
Are those All-Terrains 31s or 32s in the pics?

32x11.50R15 BFG AT

EDIT: btw, I haven't really dragged the undercarriage so far, just the rock sliders.

That's what they're for. Use 'em!

Funny I was talking to 'nwoods' about running the Rubicon and he said I should be able to but there will be scraping, especially bumpers due to the approach and departure angles, what do you think?

I probably would not recommend running the Rubicon in your R50, especially without a winch. That trail really took a toll on me. It was mentally and emotionally exhausting. 3 days @ 8+ hours per day of insanely challenging terrain, rock-stacking, spotting, winching... it's not something I'd be excited to repeat. When you look ahead and see rocks on the trail only 6" high and call that "paved"... um, yeah.

It's unlikely you'll make it without some kind of cosmetic damage to your front and rear bumpers, and possible that you'll come back with worse damage (rock rash on your doors or fenders). This photo shows some custom extensions that I added to my trailer hitch to protect the rear bumper. Those extensions were essential to prevent my bumper from being ripped from the body on the 'con and at Moab.

Before you tackle anything like the Rubicon, you should get at least a couple more years of seat time driving more difficult trails.

Don't forget that you've built a beautiful EXPEDITION rig, not a rock-crawler. While it might be able to tackle the occasional rock-strewn trail, that's not its forte.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy