My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Allof75

Pathfinder
No puncture but quite a few rock abrasion, slices and surface cuts in the 5000 miles to realize that they wouldn't last another 40,000 miles with me :)

Most MTs will take care of the sidewall strength issue but I'm *hoping* to stay in the AT territory for better on-road driving experience. When you say "Them and the ATs are well known in the prerunning scene as being pretty much unflappable" - which ATs are you referring to? Toyo Open Country ATs or BFG ATs? Got any info/links etc?

I'm mentioning the Toyo OC MT and the Toyo OC *previous* AT, the new one is extremely well reviewed too. I've discussed them at length with my buddy and others on GoFastBroncos, and they've been big on Dezert Rangers too- they're extremely durable, and basically some of the most overbuilt tires out there in terms of sidewall strength. Plus for what they are, very quiet on the street. I recommend the AT II for you if you don't want to go too extreme. Seriously, they're amazing.

Can't pinpoint any links right now for some reason. Not trying to steer you away from the BFGs, but as you know there's plenty of alternatives :) I kinda like the weird stuff anyway haha

stioc

Expedition Leader
I'm mentioning the Toyo OC MT and the Toyo OC *previous* AT, the new one is extremely well reviewed too.

You mean these Toyo OC ATs? :D

IMG_1242Custom.jpg

Excellent tire, good grip, very comfortable but more street-oriented similar to the Yokohama Geolander etc IMHO. I'm told the AT IIs are tougher especially the extreme model.

I've discussed them at length with my buddy and others on GoFastBroncos, and they've been big on Dezert Rangers too- they're extremely durable, and basically some of the most overbuilt tires out there in terms of sidewall strength. Plus for what they are, very quiet on the street. I recommend the AT II for you if you don't want to go too extreme. Seriously, they're amazing.

Can't pinpoint any links right now for some reason. Not trying to steer you away from the BFGs, but as you know there's plenty of alternatives :) I kinda like the weird stuff anyway haha

I like weird stuff too, I like to think of it as me being a trail blazer rather than a lemming lol I'm fully aware I'll be the lemming in this case :)

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Now the question is white lettering inside or outside. I prefer the clean black sidewall personally but sometimes the white lettering can make the tires look more tough.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Now the question is white lettering inside or outside. I prefer the clean black sidewall personally but sometimes the white lettering can make the tires look more tough.

If you have as many sidewall scrapes as you say, white inside.

I have the black out and like the cleaner look. The white lettering looks good but will wear

The BFGs should measure out a little taller than the duratracs. So 120$ for 4 new tires and a mild lift? No brainer

Allof75

Pathfinder
You mean these Toyo OC ATs? :D

IMG_1242Custom.jpg

Excellent tire, good grip, very comfortable but more street-oriented similar to the Yokohama Geolander etc IMHO. I'm told the AT IIs are tougher especially the extreme model.

Well now those were a little worn :) But yes the AT II is great, look into it.

And if you have to get the BFG ATs, then letters in. Cleaning the tires is a whole new ballgame with white anything.

Matto

Observer
I'm rebelling - white lettering out. Mine are all beat up, half brown, cuts and scrapes on the white, etc. Makes them look like you've used them as intended. Bright-white lettering out is the same as bright white canvas sneakers - you want them to be a bit beat up and obviously used.

I love my KM2's, they're my daily driver tyres, but I don't doubt the AT's will be good for what you want. The wife's father has BFG AT's on his pick up, and he loves them. So far they've taken him everywhere that he needs to go, and they're wearing really well.

Cheers!
Matto :)

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
snip...... Bright-white lettering out is the same as bright white canvas sneakers - you want them to be a bit beat up and obviously used.....snip

Not in my hood. you want them sneeks fresh and so clean.:26_7_2:
sorry had to come in to your build and make some wise crack.
btw I'm subscribed, i'm interested in what you end up with, for tyres.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Got my uni-cycle tires on :elkgrin:

3C416EFD-9242-4C8C-B662-6BF4505B00E9-3221-000001E11E0AD5B4_zpsb7e13152.jpg

4B058D50-F1E1-4949-9D69-D7765FC91145-3221-000001E0EF7D96EF_zps4e51ace2.jpg

My initial impressions (no off pavement driving yet):
The BFG ATs as I'd suspected are quite a bit skinnier than the Duratracs and as expected don't look quite as tough as the Duratracs so in this dept Duratracs get the nod. With that out of the way, holy cow what a difference! On the pavement the BFG ATs are whisper quiet compared to the Duratracs (I had less than 1000 miles on the latest Duratracs so it's not like they were well worn) and feel very predictable. I didn't expect this big of an improvement (from a skinnier tire no less). I'm really pleased with the on-road comfort and handling. The tire place filled them to 35psi and the ride is firm but well mannered, I like it better than with the Duratracs no question. I'll leave it at 35psi for a little while to break them in and hopefully they'll balloon up a bit with some use. I just noticed Co-opski's pics of his Frontier with the same tire/size and his tires look wider but could just be the angle.

Here's what I think would be a great setup for the Pathfinders and potentially the Xterra/Frontiers too. BFG AT 255/75/17 - I think it has the perfect height and width for our trucks. If I find some money under the mattress that'll be my next and final wheel/tire setup.

BTW is it wrong to sneak up on unsuspecting fellow trucks like this? :)

DC8AB8FC-E2C1-49CA-9740-DAD8232503B7-3221-000001E0E64A1201_zps47441e30.jpg

Here's a comparison pic with the Duratracs

0E907F12-B7DB-44DF-B5BC-20EDD837F8F5-176-00000005E63B34AB_zps2fcdd0e9.jpg

BTW there was a Ford Raptor at the tire shop getting some 37" Falken Wild Peaks put on. Full PRG setup with Fox shocks, interior loaded to the gills with GoPros, Lowrance, iPads etc...I talked to the owner for a bit and I won't lie the thought of taking out a home equity loan and a few other stupid ideas flashed across my mind lol

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
they look great! do they measure out any taller when on the tire vs the old duratracs ?

The 255 75R17 is a nice size (stock on the JK rubicons) they are a little taller and wider vs the 235 85s, I thought they only came in one tread pattern (BFG MT), maybe I am wrong.

I have thought about grabbing a set of the first gen supercharged alloys and a set of rubi take off tires in the future, would be nice if there were other tread patterns

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks, they do look nice in their own utilitarian way :) I just went out to the garage to measure the height, I filled all 4 of them to 40psi. My method of measurement is to lay a ruler across the tread of the tire, holding the ruler down at the center of the tread and then measuring from the ground up. I came up with 30.7". At the same psi I think the Duratracs were 30.9" if I recall. I wish they were 31.5" and they potentially could be because the max psi is 80! but I think 40 is about as high I would go on the streets for comfort. Still very happy with the new tires. The $120 prorated upgrade cost was a steal, considering the BFGs were $20 or so more per tire than the Duratracs anyway, the installation would typically run about $80 and i got the $60 rebate from Goodyear too ;)

You're probably right about the 255/75/17 but I could almost swear I saw a FJ with that size BFG AT, it was definitely a 255 tire on a 17" rim, that I'm sure of. It's a shame that other tires aren't available in that size because I find that size to be just perfect for most mid sized trucks.

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I was wrong, looks like there is about a dozen or so tires in that size, Firestone destination AT and cooper AT3 among them

I am running about 45 psi in mine

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks, they do look nice in their own utilitarian way :) I just went out to the garage to measure the height, I filled all 4 of them to 40psi. My method of measurement is to lay a ruler across the tread of the tire, holding the ruler down at the center of the tread and then measuring from the ground up. I came up with 30.7". At the same psi I think the Duratracs were 30.9" if I recall.

I just went outside and measured mine the same way, long flat surface across the middle of tread block, from the ground up I got just about exactly 31 inches, maybe 30.9.

Im surprised yours would read 30.7, considering I have 40,000 km on mine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad