My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
Pretty simple actually. Two 1"-16ga square tube pieces bolted to the underside of the bumper. Then a J-bolt and a couple of ubolts to hold the jack down on the square tube pieces. It's on there solid, I can grab the jack and shake the whole truck with it. I'll replace the nuts on the ubolts with split washers and wing nuts for a quick release.

9E725B70-4C84-4E1C-9C6C-FE1661DC0BE4-10907-00000575A3828B2E_zps59b17f91.jpg

2B5E1F66-C1A1-4B58-B7ED-A36CA1E92ACC-10907-000005759D2F6D38_zps8e6c5837.jpg

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Nice and simple I like that.

The bottom of my frame horns are below the bumper (factory two hook is bolted to the one side)

I am considering an in winch bumper pretty hard this winter, if that doesn't happen I wouldn't mind a better way to mount the hi lift.

stioc

Expedition Leader
The bottom of my frame horns are below the bumper (factory two hook is bolted to the one side)

Not sure I follow, a pic may help.

I am considering an in winch bumper pretty hard this winter, if that doesn't happen I wouldn't mind a better way to mount the hi lift.

An aftermarket bumper would be the ultimate solution and lucky for you there are a few to choose from unlike us. An in-bumper winch is also quite doable if you just want the winching ability with a stock front-end.

Personally for me I would find a custom rear bumper more useful in that I can actually carry a full sized spare on it, room for gas-cans and even a hi-lift or Element ramps etc.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Not sure I follow, a pic may help.

An aftermarket bumper would be the ultimate solution and lucky for you there are a few to choose from unlike us. An in-bumper winch is also quite doable if you just want the winching ability with a stock front-end.

Personally for me I would find a custom rear bumper more useful in that I can actually carry a full sized spare on it, room for gas-cans and even a hi-lift or Element ramps etc.

It looks like where you bolted it to the frame is quite a bit higher up the bumper than where I would be able too. Xterras came with a factory tow hook on the bottom of the passenger frame horn.

I plan on putting the winch into the stock bumper. I don't think with my use I would see much benefit from spending $1000 on a heavy metal bumper.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I think I know what you mean and see the confusion. I didn't bolt the square tubing to the frame, there's actually a metal bumper under the plastic bumper-cover so the square tubing is simply bolted to the metal bumper from the bottom. In your case, assuming it too has a metal bumper under the plastic, you would have the square pieces bolted on the sides of your license plate frame (see the horrible illustration I've attached and assume the red lines are 3/8" bolts :)).

Attachments

• xterra.jpg
    xterra.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 46

Allof75

Pathfinder
Bringing up an old post here, but specifically, which Diehard Platinum model is under your hood? There's a good sale on diehards right now, in need of an upgrade.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I think I know what you mean and see the confusion. I didn't bolt the square tubing to the frame, there's actually a metal bumper under the plastic bumper-cover so the square tubing is simply bolted to the metal bumper from the bottom. In your case, assuming it too has a metal bumper under the plastic, you would have the square pieces bolted on the sides of your license plate frame (see the horrible illustration I've attached and assume the red lines are 3/8" bolts :)).

Ok thanks. That makes more sense. It would be nice tog et the hi lift out of the vehicle and I don't want the extra weight on my roof, I already have the tire up there.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Bringing up an old post here, but specifically, which Diehard Platinum model is under your hood? There's a good sale on diehards right now, in need of an upgrade.

It's a Group 34 Platinum and the sticker says model 50034. Basically you want the biggest Platinum battery you can stuff under the hood :) If I were to do it again I'd probably look at the ones with the second set of terminals as a nice to have if there's room. This way I can run all the aux stuff to them rather than making a bird's nest on the primary terminals.

Allof75

Pathfinder
It's a Group 34 Platinum and the sticker says model 50034. Basically you want the biggest Platinum battery you can stuff under the hood :) If I were to do it again I'd probably look at the ones with the second set of terminals as a nice to have if there's room. This way I can run all the aux stuff to them rather than making a bird's nest on the primary terminals.

Ok thank you very much! And I was thinking the same thing, definitely makes adding lights and future winches much easier. Seems like those things are bulletproof.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Ok thanks. That makes more sense. It would be nice tog et the hi lift out of the vehicle and I don't want the extra weight on my roof, I already have the tire up there.

This was precisely what I was after too.

Ok thank you very much! And I was thinking the same thing, definitely makes adding lights and future winches much easier. Seems like those things are bulletproof.

I've heard great things about them and that they're supposedly rebranded Odyssey batteries. Did you get one? what was the sale price?

Updates on the truck:
After putting some more miles on it the truck is still running almost 10F degs cooler which is great! :)

I also got a chance to play with the LSV (brake's load sensing valve) a bit because I couldn't find a definitive answer on how the LSV functions. Some people remove the bracket and others zip tie the spring shut. After back to back testing it seemed the braking was noticeably improved with the spring wound shut with a zip tie along with loosening and then pushing the bracket to towards the passenger tire (such that it would pull on the LSV valve).

Last edited:

Allof75

Pathfinder
I just bought one for the Ram, the thing weighs 53 lbs! But I'm looking to pop one in the Pathfinder, I think I could get it for $150ish.

Also, what is the diameter of your pod filter? Sorry about the old mod questions, but I'm getting some time on my hands now and can wrench again :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
So it's been a while since I last posted as I haven't really done anything new with/to the truck since the last update. I'm getting excited about my 6-day long trip to Moab that's coming up in about 4 weeks, it's going to be approx. 1700 miles of pavement driving. The comfort and handling of the truck will be important on this long haul trrip so I'm thinking I might throw the sway bars back on it? It wasn't a big difference in the handling when I removed them but they might help on the twisty roads? I'm also considering leaving behind the skid-plate and the hi-lift jack to save weight and fuel. I don't think the trails are rocky where I would need the skid plate and having 32" tires + lift I usually find plenty of clearance under the truck.

Anyone with Moab experience have any comments/feedback?

Rebelord

Semper Fi
I forget if you made your skid plate out of aluminum or steel? But, either way, I'd figure it would actually make the truck more aerodynamic by smoothing the air under it. Think the under side of Lambo's and Bugatti's.
As for the sway bars, I would put them back on for 1700 miles of pavement. Then when you hit the trail just pull off the links.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad