My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Allof75

Pathfinder
Looking good! As far as storage I've been impressed by the door pockets, I have a trail library of socal in there haha But I can see having more than two people being an issue. If you find something like a ceiling net or overhead console, I'd be very interested!

Good to see the truck get cleaned up, I highly suggest getting a polisher- I bought the Meguiars G110v2, and love it for taking out nearly any imperfection. (with the right technique) Check out Autogeek, they make me look like a lightweight :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Fluids all good for the trip?

I did the oil change about 900miles ago, the coolant and brakes probably 300miles ago and the rest of the fluids (trans, transfer case, diff etc) probably have 10k on them so I'm good to go. I should change the spark plugs at some point, perhaps after the trip. My concern would be the ignition coils, fuel pump, starter due to the age or breaking a CV/ujoint etc but not much you can do about those. Hopefully it's a smooth trip with no mechanical issues.

Looking good! As far as storage I've been impressed by the door pockets, I have a trail library of socal in there haha But I can see having more than two people being an issue. If you find something like a ceiling net or overhead console, I'd be very interested!

Good to see the truck get cleaned up, I highly suggest getting a polisher- I bought the Meguiars G110v2, and love it for taking out nearly any imperfection. (with the right technique) Check out Autogeek, they make me look like a lightweight :)

Thanks. I've actually had a Porter Cable DA polisher for about 8 years now but it's probably only seen use 3 times lol The imperfections I have on the paint are deep scratches here and there not the kind that'll buff out- or at least I don't think they will. Then again it's a truck and the battle scars come with the territory :)

Allof75

Pathfinder
I did the oil change about 900miles ago, the coolant and brakes probably 300miles ago and the rest of the fluids (trans, transfer case, diff etc) probably have 10k on them so I'm good to go. I should change the spark plugs at some point, perhaps after the trip. My concern would be the ignition coils, fuel pump, starter due to the age or breaking a CV/ujoint etc but not much you can do about those. Hopefully it's a smooth trip with no mechanical issues.

Thanks. I've actually had a Porter Cable DA polisher for about 8 years now but it's probably only seen use 3 times lol The imperfections I have on the paint are deep scratches here and there not the kind that'll buff out- or at least I don't think they will. Then again it's a truck and the battle scars come with the territory :)

Especially since it's your daily I guess I can let you off the hook..... :)

And more than likely the trip should go without a hitch, what spares are you taking? And what tools?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yeah it's not my daily driver, thankfully or I'll be racking up a lot of miles on it everyday.

As for the spares I'll bring both Visa and MasterCard along with my AAA card :) Outside of that I carry an outer tie-rod and a small tool kit for minor trail-side repairs. My ScanGuageII serves as an on-board OBDII tool and I also carry a 12v multimeter but that's about it, nothing extensive :)

Allof75

Pathfinder
Yeah it's not my daily driver, thankfully or I'll be racking up a lot of miles on it everyday.

As for the spares I'll bring both Visa and MasterCard along with my AAA card :) Outside of that I carry an outer tie-rod and a small tool kit for minor trail-side repairs. My ScanGuageII serves as an on-board OBDII tool and I also carry a 12v multimeter but that's about it, nothing extensive :)

Wow, a braver man than I :sombrero:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Not really I just can't imagine what else to bring as far as commonly failed parts that could be fixed on the side of a trail. Care to share what spares you carried on your recent trip? Oh and I'll have a qt of motor oil and ATF too for good measure.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Not really I just can't imagine what else to bring as far as commonly failed parts that could be fixed on the side of a trail. Care to share what spares you carried on your recent trip? Oh and I'll have a qt of motor oil and ATF too for good measure.

Sure, I had several gallons of water, a full wrench set, fuses, channel locks, spare belt, spare air filter (dust/water intrusion backup), chilton's manual, assorted screw drivers, recovery strap, motor oil, sparkplugs, headlight bulbs, tire iron, jumper cables, and a bunch of gluten free food in case there wasn't hospitable eating accommodations. And that was primarily a non-off road trip, other than exploring some forest roads and trails to get to cabins etc. You're lucky since it won't be summertime, you should avoid the 115* that made everything a struggle on my trip.
Also, just as a warning, if you're going into elevation, the VQ is not so mighty- substantial power loss...

stioc

Expedition Leader
Oh I gotcha, I thought you meant the spares for the truck. I'll definitely have extra water, fuel, emergency food, small stove, first aid kit including basic medicines, SPOT, recovery kit (various straps, shackles, shovel etc), ARB tire repair kit etc. My small tool kit includes vise-grips, pliers, various wrenchs, sockets, fuses, screwdrivers etc. A spare belt is a good idea and I should bring my air-filter cleaning kit now that you mention it! :)

The weather should be nice but the biggest threat to my trip right now is the govt. shutdown...well not really but would be really nice if Zion and Bryce are open when we drive through them.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Oh I gotcha, I thought you meant the spares for the truck. I'll definitely have extra water, fuel, emergency food, small stove, first aid kit including basic medicines, SPOT, recovery kit (various straps, shackles, shovel etc), ARB tire repair kit etc. My small tool kit includes vise-grips, pliers, various wrenchs, sockets, fuses, screwdrivers etc. A spare belt is a good idea and I should bring my air-filter cleaning kit now that you mention it! :)

The weather should be nice but the biggest threat to my trip right now is the govt. shutdown...well not really but would be really nice if Zion and Bryce are open when we drive through them.

Well we're lucky enough to not really have to worry about carrying extra axles etc. :bike_rider: But that list ought to work well.

And yeah I mean that's a complete cluster****, without trying to be political- it sucks. When are you going? Maybe it'll be open by then?

XPLORx4

Adventurer

If, for some reason, the feds haven't figured out how to clean up their mess by the time your trip happens, and you have no choice but to skip Zion and Bryce, consider this alternative route from Vegas through St. George and on to Escalante (where you'll end up spending 2 nights, instead of one):
I-15 > UT9 > UT59 > AZ389 > AZ/UT89A > Kanab, UT > UT89 > Cottonwood Cyn Rd > Escalante

You will want to depart Vegas early to maximize the sunlight, but the scenery along Cottonwood Canyon Rd is pretty spectacular. Photos 49-66 from my visit there in 2005 show some of the really neat sights along that route.

The drive along Cottonwood Canyon Rd is about 4 hours, including a few hiking and photo stops.

The drive to the southern end of Cottonwood Canyon Rd is about 4 hours from Vegas.

Mo4130

Adventurer
For what it's worth the national forest roads are still open. Just no access to trail side ****ters and the like

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. I did call the Inn that we'll be staying at near Bryce and they told me hwy 9 and 12 are indeed open. I heard that the hwy that goes through Grand Canyon was closed after visitors kept trying to access other parts of the park.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys. I did call the Inn that we'll be staying at near Bryce and they told me hwy 9 and 12 are indeed open. I heard that the hwy that goes through Grand Canyon was closed after visitors kept trying to access other parts of the park.

Sitting in the Vegas airport as I type this. Unfortunately I only got to look at the mountains from my hotel room and wish I had my truck. Hoping they have everything sorted down here before you head out!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Things are looking good for us travel wise. This is the last weekend before the trip so I was working on tying up a few loose ends.

Here're some recent truck related updates or as I like to call it 'my interior optimization' :D

Passenger visor (handy docs, pen, foldable map etc):
28992D90-3744-46AD-B736-2224903FFE11-1650-0000021A53EFD330_zps877991bb.jpg

Driver's visor (SPOT messenger, HAM radio), SPOT is located so that when I flip the visor it has a clear view of the sky. The HAM radio is on a belt clip and allows me to easily use it out of the car too. I have the optional hand-held microphone for it too:
63B83537-E31C-49F2-849D-E3A4B92236C3-1650-0000021A5EC3CBF7_zpse555a8f0.jpg

Seat-back storage for my kid to have all the 'important stuff' handy such as the bluetooth speaker for the ipad, binoculars, sunglasses, snacks, books, pencils, etc:
2E6954E7-6909-43F4-8A42-FF33FBD5D6B9-1650-0000021A6B687BB7_zps01c36908.jpg

Cargo area net for the light stuff (parkas, hats, First-Aid kit etc):
6F264368-6178-4EC5-8047-62E4627D70EA-1667-0000021EC8A7064A_zps60f10298.jpg

...and this one I took just for Allof75, it's my ala-cart tool box (in addition to the tire repair kit, recovery gear and a generic car tool-kit-in-a-box) :). This oldschool metal toolbox I rescued from a garage sale for the whole sum of $1...I have several portable Craftsman toolboxes but I really like this one:
2dfb608b-fd95-40af-b0d8-aa4f7f0106d8_zpsad0a0144.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad