My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Allof75

Pathfinder
Looks good! Several lifesavers in there, especially the ipad for the kid :D

Sweet toolkit too, does it rattle much?

Dmski

Adventurer
Now this is a road trip setup! Your kid will certainly be happy! I'm also interested in the SPOT tracker cost?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Looks good! Several lifesavers in there, especially the ipad for the kid :D

Sweet toolkit too, does it rattle much?

The iPads are indeed a life saver, I have one up front too for my main source of navigation. I have my old Garmin Nuvi as a backup for road navigation and an Etrex for hiking). But seriously for kids an iPad is one cool all-in-one device in a small package; games, movies, educational apps, music and with the GPS app installed too I'm able to limit the classic 'are we there yet' question every 10 mins :) In our normal day-to-day life though I'm anti video games (and TV) for kids so she usually plays sports or with her friends.

The toolbox has a thin rubber liner in it and usually it's packed pretty full that I don't notice the rattle much.

How much was the SPOT tracker?

Now this is a road trip setup! Your kid will certainly be happy! I'm also interested in the SPOT tracker cost?

Thanks! The SPOT tracker was just under $100 and the yearly service is about $115 (without the tracking feature). It's just an insurance policy should something terrible happens. I do hope and pray I never have to use it.

Allof75

Pathfinder
The iPads are indeed a life saver, I have one up front too for my main source of navigation. I have my old Garmin Nuvi as a backup for road navigation and an Etrex for hiking). But seriously for kids an iPad is one cool all-in-one device in a small package; games, movies, educational apps, music and with the GPS app installed too I'm able to limit the classic 'are we there yet' question every 10 mins :) In our normal day-to-day life though I'm anti video games (and TV) for kids so she usually plays sports or with her friends.

The toolbox has a thin rubber liner in it and usually it's packed pretty full that I don't notice the rattle much.

Definitely agree on the iPad. What app do you use to navigate? I'm thinking of getting one for school, and I'm wondering if the iPhone 5s (getting it next week) will have the same apps.

stioc

Expedition Leader
I've tried a few and settled on MotionX - it used to be even better when I first started using it because I could download the Google maps to it for offline use. Now they're too big of a company and don't want to risk getting hit with a lawsuit so the downloadable maps available are the Open Street maps or if you have your own tile server then you can serve up whatever maps you want including Google/Bing etc...a way to get around the licensing issue. The interface is very slick and fairly intuitive. Yes it works on iPhones 4 through 5c. I have it on my iPhone 5, the iPad version looks more slick but the iPhone version has all the same functionality as far as I can tell.

Reservoir Pathy

Hi Sitoc,

Have enjoyed reading this thread, just a quick question what tyre pressure were you running with the 245 duratracks. I'm having weird steering issues just occasionally but I've been through the set up and all is tight. Well ok I should prob do those rear bushes but at the moment they are fine. Like your fridge rack I was going to just buy one but now I'm inspired. Hope your trips a blast we've just come back from 5 days in the little desert in Victoria, deep sand and she didn't put a wheel wrong

stioc

Expedition Leader
Hi Reservoir Pathy, I was running 35-36psi (street pressure) on my Dratracs and 20-22psi on the trails depending. Assuming the weird steering issue started after you got the Duratracs try rotating the tires front to back in case there's a tire which isn't balanced right.

Our trip was a blast too and the Pathy performed flawlessly covering almost 2000 miles of highways, dirt, rocks, sand and extremely steep roller coaster hills in Moab. Here's the trip report: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-first-trip-to-Moab-from-my-9yo-s-perspective

stioc

Expedition Leader
As I normally do after a long trip here's a recap of the Moab trip from the truck's perspective and to catch things up.

The truck performed flawlessly on this trip from SoCal to Moab and back- approx. 2000 miles and avg'ing 18.5mpg. Before leaving there was a lot of planning that went into minimizing weight and making use of the cabin and cargo areas as much as possible. Passenger comfort was important and some of which I previously covered. Other things included selecting and storing recovery gear, tools, creating space for small items in the cabin area etc. One of my concerns was getting a flat and not being able to fit the 32" tire in the stock location (under the truck which still has the 28" spare). If this were to happen there was no room inside or on the roof-rack either. Of course, I wanted an aftermarket bumper to address this. However, time dictated the solution and after removing and rearranging a few things underneath I managed to fit the 32" tire in the stock location - while I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to justify a rear bumper very easily now but another score for the Pathfinder! The Hi-lift jack was already mounted on the front bumper as I previously covered but this was the first true test of it - it passed the test, even after hitting the ground on a steep descend (I did have to retighten the u-bolt nuts after the hit). I stored the recovery straps, hi-lift winch kit etc in soft bags either stored on the roof rack or in the storage platform.

Offroad, the truck went everywhere I pointed it - creeks, boulder hopping, washboards, sharp rocks, in-between overgrown shrubs etc. It picked up new pin-striping and scrapes on the body, bumpers/hitch receiver etc but it didn't miss a beat- no overheating, no breakdowns just miles of fun and grins :) BTW if you've never been to Moab go at least once and drive on the slick rock boulders (Fins-n-Things is awesome!). Even though the trip felt a bit rushed as I packed a lot of destinations into our trip but I'm SO glad we saw each one of them...and there is so much more to see there. I now have a sticker on the back window that says 'Moab Tested' - street creds yo! lol

As with any older car though it did have a couple of minor issues. One it had heavy smell of gasoline, now I know the diaphragm in the fuel line is ruptured so it makes a whining sound after the pressure builds up in the gas tank and I'm wondering if the elevation and pressure caused the gas to exit via the gas overflow. This only happened on the trails not on flat surface. It happened even when the gas tank was half full.

The second issue was wetness on the axle...I thought it might have been the differential oil leak but turns out it's red ATF fluid leaking from somewhere near the transfer case and dripping down the driver's frame rail all the way back to the diff. I checked the transmission fluid and it seems fine (a bit overfilled) so when I have some time next I'll check the transfer case and see if the fluid there is low. I hate fluid leaks...thankfully it's the only leak I have on the truck so far.

Oh my smog check also came due so I just changed the spark plugs (passenger side plugs on a VQ is a pain) this past weekend which were past due judging from the condition of them. I also noticed the two spark plugs closer to the firewall had a bit of oily crud on them, not too bad but definitely some oil compared to the other spark plugs. I also changed the oil and it passed smog with flying colors. I was a bit concerned because ever since I cleaned my throttle body and IACV the idle is about 100rpm higher and every now and then I'll get a P0505 code.

A few thoughts for the future direction: I sometimes have to fight the urge to buy new things for the truck. I then have to remind myself that I bought the truck so we can get out and explore- so I should do that more. Sure the next gee-wiz mod is tempting but at this stage the $ towards gas, camping (gear), destinations and maintenance/reliability of the truck is a better value. The bottom line is there will always be things I'd want for it and the tinkerer in me will continue to add/improve things but at this point the truck's capabilities match (and even surpass) my needs - quite well.

Last edited:

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
As I normally do after a long trip here's a recap of the Moab trip from the truck's perspective and to catch things up.

The truck performed flawlessly on this trip from SoCal to Moab and back- approx. 2000 miles and avg'ing 18.5mpg. Before leaving there was a lot of planning that went into minimizing weight and making use of the cabin and cargo areas as much as possible. Passenger comfort was important and some of which I previously covered. Other things included selecting and storing recovery gear, tools, creating space for small items in the cabin area etc. One of my concerns was getting a flat and not being able to fit the 32" tire in the stock location (under the truck which still has the 28" spare). If this were to happen there was no room inside or on the roof-rack either. Of course, I wanted an aftermarket bumper to address this. However, time dictated the solution and after removing and rearranging a few things underneath I managed to fit the 32" tire in the stock location - while I was disappointed that I wouldn't be able to justify a rear bumper very easily now but another score for the Pathfinder! The Hi-lift jack was already mounted on the front bumper as I previously covered but this was the first true test of it - it passed the test, even after hitting the ground on a steep descend (I did have to retighten the u-bolt nuts after the hit). I stored the recovery straps, hi-lift winch kit etc in soft bags either stored on the roof rack or in the storage platform.

Offroad, the truck went everywhere I pointed it - creeks, boulder hopping, washboards, sharp rocks, in-between overgrown shrubs etc. It picked up new pin-striping and scrapes on the body, bumpers/hitch receiver etc but it didn't miss a beat- no overheating, no breakdowns just miles of fun and grins :) BTW if you've never been to Moab go at least once and drive on the slick rock boulders (Fins-n-Things is awesome!). Even though the trip felt a bit rushed as I packed a lot of destinations into our trip but I'm SO glad we saw each one of them...and there is so much more to see there. I now have a sticker on the back window that says 'Moab Tested' - street creds yo! lol

As with any older car though it did have a couple of minor issues. One it had heavy smell of gasoline, now I know the diaphragm in the fuel line is ruptured so it makes a whining sound after the pressure builds up in the gas tank and I'm wondering if the elevation and pressure caused the gas to exit via the gas overflow. This only happened on the trails not on flat surface. It happened even when the gas tank was half full.

The second issue was wetness on the axle...I thought it might have been the differential oil leak but turns out it's red ATF fluid leaking from somewhere near the transfer case and dripping down the driver's frame rail all the way back to the diff. I checked the transmission fluid and it seems fine (a bit overfilled) so when I have some time next I'll check the transfer case and see if the fluid there is low. I hate fluid leaks...thankfully it's the only leak I have on the truck so far.

Oh my smog check also came due so I just changed the spark plugs (passenger side plugs on a VQ is a pain) this past weekend which were past due judging from the condition of them. I also noticed the two spark plugs closer to the firewall had a bit of oily crud on them, not too bad but definitely some oil compared to the other spark plugs. I also changed the oil and it passed smog with flying colors. I was a bit concerned because ever since I cleaned my throttle body and IACV the idle is about 100rpm higher and every now and then I'll get a P0505 code.

A few thoughts for the future direction: I sometimes have to fight the urge to buy new things for the truck. I then have to remind myself that I bought the truck so we can get out and explore- so I should do that more. Sure the next gee-wiz mod is tempting but at this stage the $ towards gas, camping (gear), destinations and maintenance/reliability of the truck is a better value. The bottom line is there will always be things I'd want for it and the tinkerer in me will continue to add/improve things but at this point the truck's capabilities match (and even surpass) my needs - quite well.

Nissan Reliability!! That all sounds pretty great except the fluid issue, hopefully it gets resolved soon. Also I am getting close to changing all my ignition coils and spark plugs, is there any tips you could give? And on a side note.... Do you find yourself using your locker very much? Around Wyoming a locker wouldn't be worth it because most trails are relatively moderate or easy but down in Colorado it would open a whole world of opportunity. Just wondering if its worth its $.

Last edited:

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Great to hear everything worked out. 18.5 mpg is pretty good!

Its a cost-benefit analysis we must all go through. When is enough, enough? Most of us all will always want to tinker and change or modify things even if they are small, or we probably wouldn't be on this site in the first place.

Dmski

Adventurer
Gotta love the nissans! Can't wait to see those pictures of Moab. I'm looking into possibly planning a trip of my own down there (maybe with GoneMoab) in the next two years or so. What recovery items/armor did you find the most useful while wheeling down there? Which items would you have left behind if you did it again?

Allof75

Pathfinder
Excellent trip, and glad to hear the Pathy made it through ok. How exactly did you fit the 32" in the spare tire mount? Pics?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nissan Reliability!! That all sounds pretty great except the fluid issue, hopefully it gets resolved soon. Also I am getting close to changing all my ignition coils and spark plugs, is there any tips you could give? And on a side note.... Do you find yourself using your locker very much? Around Wyoming a locker wouldn't be worth it because most trails are relatively moderate or easy but down in Colorado it would open a whole world of opportunity. Just wondering if its worth its $.

Spark plugs- on the driver's side you'll have to take off the entire intake after the throttle body and remove the the little idle control valve motor to access the coils. Not hard though. On the passenger side you'll have to loosen all the wiring harnesses and somehow reach behind/through/in-front of them to get to the coils.

Where did you get the new coils from? I want to buy a couple as spares.

Locker- well before I answer think of how many times in the last year you had your rear wheels slipping without any forward progress? let's say 8 for the sake of this exercise. Now of those times how many times did you manage to get through by taking a different line or reducing air-pressure etc? let's say 7. The remainder is how often you'd need one. Wait I just answered how many times I've needed it so far :) I do use it because I have it but is it needed on the overlanding type of trips? I would say rarely. The only reason I've used it more is out of laziness, instead of backing up and trying a different line or instead of thinking ahead I brainlessly engage the locker and muscle my way through. It does help avoid wheel spin but in the long run it'll also make me a driver who's going to rely on the equipment rather than building skills.

On the NPORA forum "thexbrit" who's a friend runs harder trails than me and he doesn't have a locker. He has a LSD but you can more or less get the same effect using the e-brake. Heck he even runs some 31" Kelly Safari AT tires that look like car tires :)

Most people will say get a winch first because with a locker you're now going to get stuck further out and in harder places than if you didn't have one. Is it something one should jump to get without more seat time? no but if your heart's set on it and you can't stop day dreaming about one then go for it, you only live once :)

Great to hear everything worked out. 18.5 mpg is pretty good!

Its a cost-benefit analysis we must all go through. When is enough, enough? Most of us all will always want to tinker and change or modify things even if they are small, or we probably wouldn't be on this site in the first place.

I'm happy with the gas mileage, I run premium (91 octane in CA) because I get 1-2mpg better, more power and it actually costs less because of the better mpg. So true about tinkering!

Gotta love the nissans! Can't wait to see those pictures of Moab. I'm looking into possibly planning a trip of my own down there (maybe with GoneMoab) in the next two years or so. What recovery items/armor did you find the most useful while wheeling down there? Which items would you have left behind if you did it again?

I posted the Moab trip report and pics here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-first-trip-to-Moab-from-my-9yo-s-perspective

GoneMoab sounds like a good event. Just choose your trails wisely people do roll their trucks there - peer pressure, inexperience whatever you call it. Luckily I didn't have to use any recovery items or armor really other than dragging my hitch in a couple of places. I brought my hi-lift with all the accessories I have for it to lift and winch with it, I have a permanently mounted air compressor, a small shovel and several recovery straps, shackles etc.

Excellent trip, and glad to hear the Pathy made it through ok. How exactly did you fit the 32" in the spare tire mount? Pics?

No pics but I removed some metal brackets under there and some rubber bits, it's a tight fit but will work in a pinch. I don't believe a wider tire than the one I have will fit without hitting the track bar though.

Matto

Observer
Great news stioc - glad to hear you had a fun and uneventful trip. It's nice when you can depend on your machinery to get you there and back.

As has been said, I'm not sure that any of us ever stop fiddling with the trucks, but my situation is pretty similar to yours. I've constantly got to stop myself from spending money on the truck when it meets our needs very well as-is. Like you say, that money can be better spent actually getting out and using it.

I'd be interested in this too. I can't fit my spare underneath, so it lives on the roof.

The only people I've spoken to who have managed to fit a big spare underneath did so by shaving the forward edge of the panhard bushes and shimming up the rear with big washers - a job I'm not sure I want to tackle. Even then I'm not sure my towbar would allow sufficient clearance. I've already pulled all the metal guards/guides off from under there. My tyres are a fair bit smaller than yours, so count me in as very interested.

Pretty impressed with your mileage figures too. I'm currently only getting around 10mpg, and it's sending me broke.

Cheers,
Matto :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad