My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
Lately I've been enjoying driving and using the truck so we managed to bag another day-trip in search of snow (we were actually attending the Toys 4 Tots event). The plan was to camp in the snow but the constant snowstorm pelted our faces for enough few hours that we decided to head home in the afternoon. Even with the windchill the temperature however felt manageable with 3-4 layers on- Duofold thermal shirt/pants, flannel shirt, lightweight down jacket, jeans, wool socks, Thinsulate gloves, neck warmer, rainproof outer shell-jacket and rain overpants (the last four actually from my motorcycle wardrobe).

I gotta get me a ushanka and some good boots, anyone from the north have any boot recommendations. I found these ones, Cabelas Snow Runner, that have good reviews and pretty inexpensive too: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Foot...9180?WTz_l=Unknown&WTz_l=Unknown;cat103959180

IMG_0598_zpsf80ba1b4.jpg

IMG_0601_zps2d9f6b23.jpg

IMG_0648_zps8daff933.jpg

E2FFE85E-4D2B-4C4F-9266-DAA59B479F77_zpskq7wgise.jpg

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Depends what you are looking for as far as boots. I have a pair of mukluks for when it gets really snowy, but they are clumsy and I wouldnt recommend for walking long distances or driving.

I just picked up a pair of these as my everyday winter boot. Ill use them for winter hiking, and just generally bumming around in the snow up here during the cold months. They are waterproof and insulated, and I think look pretty good.

North Face Back to Berkeley 68

they come in a bunch of different subtle variations and colours.

Ive only had them for a few weeks but I cant say enough good things so far, warm and comfortable. Did a 3 hour hike yesterday in high 20s Fahrenheit and no hot spots and definitely no cold spots.

The ones you posted from Cabelas seem to have really good reviews, and probably about 50 or so dollars cheaper than the North Face ones I have, as well as being taller.

We don't have any Cabelas close to me up here so I cant comment. Pics look good!

bushnut

Adventurer
you should come up here to Winterpeg, it was -30*C this morning. the Pathfinder started right up. didn't even plug in the block heater.

As far as winter boots go it all depends on what type of outing you are planning and what type of conditions you will likely expect.
a day hike at -10*C with a few inches of snow a good hiking boot with quality wool socks should be enough.
multiple days at below -20*C temperatures with deep snow needs a boot with a removable liner that can be dried over night or exchanged as insulation that is soaked with foot sweat doesn't work. I'd recommend the Steger mukluks made in Minnesota.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Yeah hell of a storm we've had here. And to be honest, all that cotton wasn't doing you much good, flannel etc is a bad idea IMO :)

stioc

Expedition Leader
Great info guys, thanks. What I'm looking for is just some decent quality waterproof boots that will keep my toes (especially) warm when camping in the 0C to -10C - that's about the coldest I think I'll ever encounter even in the mountains here. What I had on was some leather DieHard work boots :snorkel: and they weren't comfortable at all. In fact, I think the leather was shrinking from the cold and my toes started to feel numb after a couple of hours. It didn't help much that we were just hanging around chatting and stuff and not really doing anything to get the blood circulating well.

I hear you on the flannel and jeans (cotton) lol - I figured as long as I had the moisture wicking thermals underneath it was OK and really other than the feet and my face I was fairly warm and actually comfortable.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Great info guys, thanks. What I'm looking for is just some decent quality waterproof boots that will keep my toes (especially) warm when camping in the 0C to -10C - that's about the coldest I think I'll ever encounter even in the mountains here. What I had on was some leather DieHard work boots :snorkel: and they weren't comfortable at all. In fact, I think the leather was shrinking from the cold and my toes started to feel numb after a couple of hours. It didn't help much that we were just hanging around chatting and stuff and not really doing anything to get the blood circulating well.

I hear you on the flannel and jeans (cotton) lol - I figured as long as I had the moisture wicking thermals underneath it was OK and really other than the feet and my face I was fairly warm and actually comfortable.

Steel toe work boots are pretty tough in the cold as you found out, mostly because you have a chunk of steel underneath your foot and on the toe cap which conducts the heat right out of your feet.

One of the main problems with cotton is once its wet, it loses all of its thermal protection and is really hard to dry out.

Wool does a good job of keeping you warm even if wet

Allof75

Pathfinder
Steel toe work boots are pretty tough in the cold as you found out, mostly because you have a chunk of steel underneath your foot and on the toe cap which conducts the heat right out of your feet.

One of the main problems with cotton is once its wet, it loses all of its thermal protection and is really hard to dry out.

Wool does a good job of keeping you warm even if wet

This. That or any of the new synthetic insulation on the market (I'm a fan of Patagonia's myself) will keep you relatively warm even in dampness. As far as boots, get a quality pair of hiking boots, and then wool socks with a warm liner. Places that carry skiing equipment like Sports Chalet will have what you're looking for. Columbia's Omni-Tech has been getting good reviews.

Also, where exactly were those photos taken?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks I'll be sure to check out some of the gear suggestions including North Face, Patagonia, Columbia Omni-Tech and Steger.

Oh the photo is from Hungry Valley SVRA in Gorman, CA.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Thanks I'll be sure to check out some of the gear suggestions including North Face, Patagonia, Columbia Omni-Tech and Steger.

Oh the photo is from Hungry Valley SVRA in Gorman, CA.

Oh yes, gorman. Stopped there a few times while passing up to the Bay Area. Cold as all get out more often than not. :ylsmoke:

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
If you're looking for snow, come out this way! I'll show you snow! :D

Was out in the woods on Saturday bombing through a foot of it.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Cris, it was great seeing you again bud! Those are actually some great looking boots, nice! But jeez being impatient (and cheap?) I ordered the Cabela Snow Runners first thing this morning lol - $69 on sale and free shipping right now I just had to give them a try :)

Wreckdriver, haha yeah I'm sure you'd have no problem showing me the real snow...that's what scares me:

HowSouthernersFeelAboutSnow-14442.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
I had this past weekend to myself after a while so got a couple of things done. Allof75 needed some help with an upgrade on Sat - I'll let him tell that story, I don't want to steal his thunder lol So of the long list of things I want to get done on the truck I decided to tackle one that I already use a lot and consider to be one of the best bang for the buck addition to the truck - the rear storage platform. When I threw it together quickly I was really just working with approximations and guesses. The main thing I wanted was the ability to store stuff that I wouldn't have to load in/out of the truck all the time (recovery gear, tarp, tools, hatchet, shovel, tire patch kit, inflation kit, fire extinguisher, camping stove, first-aid kit, tent stakes etc). I also wanted it to be lightweight, inexpensive, and low profile so the dog could still have enough room etc. It accomplished all those things but over the past year as I used it I realized that two things would make it even better; organization for easier access and a quick draw table. If I wanted to get to my camping flip-flops I had to remove 10 other items in front of them first. Similarly if we were making a quick stop for lunch on the trail I had to dig up the table just to set a couple of cans of soda down or a plate or two. As far as the organization was concerned I still didn't want the full drawers because while they look nicer they add weight and I already carry too much weight when we're fully packed - even going past the GVWR by a small amount. It's one thing to pass the GVWR on flat smooth roads but when you're hoping around on uneven surface and hitting rocks and ruts the chances of a mechanical failure go high.

So enter the overlanding section of Walmart - laundry and storage bins isle. My gf picked up a couple of lower profile, see-through storage bins that had some what verticle walls and were fairly long yet not too high- my storage platform/shelf is 35" deep so plenty of room to spare but the height was the problem. So I had to take the whole platform apart and raise it by 2" to 7.5" height. I also had to widen the cubbies to fit the 16" wide bins. This time I put it all back together with pocket-holes and glue rather than the hack job I did the first time around with a few drywall screws and finish nails :snorkel: hey it held up to 2 adults and a kid sitting on top while enjoying lunch by the beach :) This time though I also added a 17"x34" quick-draw table made out of 1/2" sanded plywood, I sanded it more with a 220grit sander along with the edges so the finish on it feels very smooth. The table will allow us to make quick sandwiches etc while the rear platform is occupied by our other gear.

Now with the bins holding all the small gear and each bin holding recovery gear vs. camping stuff it's just so much better organized and easier to get to that I would rate this as one of the top mods on the truck from the pure functionality/convenience point of view.

The toolbox and the two 1gal water jugs fit once the bins are pushed towards the back (I have the bins out front for the picture):
1EA6C4C8-1A50-4376-AFA7-CBE97ADDA1CE_zpsyguurxqv.jpg

0BA0B07E-9201-4F0E-A8F9-E0D6F3B555F4_zpsgn2zn3e6.jpg

4F2003C4-15F7-4EE5-BA03-BC80F4C44212_zpsd35acguv.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I like it. Inexpensive, slick, and functional. Storage systems in a truck are some of the best investments a person can make. They go a long way towards making travel easier and more efficient. They also help keep you sane. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad