My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Allof75

Pathfinder
Definitely put the sway bars on, you will probably hit some high wind areas, and you definitely don't want pucker factor on the pavement. :elkgrin: Make some quick disconnects for cheap, there's a video on youtube somewhere about it. And slap on the skidplates too, better safe than sorry IMO. It only takes one good hit to put you our of commission.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
My 2 cents on your questions:

My first visit to Moab was for goneMOAB in 2003. It was during this trip that I decided to remove my front swaybar. At first, I tried just removing the links, but then the swaybar bangs around on the front CV axles, so I just pulled it off completely. Too risky having a loose suspension part clanking around on my axles while off-road. The improvement in articulation and traction in front was outstanding, and since my rig isn't a daily driver, I decided to leave the swaybar off. Ever since then, I've been running sans front swaybar - over 10 years.

Moab is 1100 miles from where I live, and the drive home felt no different than the drive out. Like most interstates, I-15 and I-70 are largely flat and straight, with few or no curves requiring speeds under 55mph. You won't really miss the swaybar except when exiting/entering the freeway or on twisty, narrow mountain roads, where you'll notice more body roll. Just slow down for curves and you'll be fine.

I don't think you need the swaybars to/from Moab. You definitely don't want them installed (or, at least the front swaybar) while on the trails there, and removing the swaybar in a motel parking lot sucks. Trust me.

IMO, the rear swaybar does almost nothing, so I never bothered with it. A few years ago, it finally fatigued and broke in half, so I threw it out.

As for whether to keep your skidplate and hi-lift, that shouldn't even be a question. The skidplate is drivetrain protection. Once installed, it should never be uninstalled (except for maintenance), ESPECIALLY when anticipating off-road travel. The hi-lift doesn't weigh that much more than the bottle jack, and is immeasurably more safe and convenient to use for changing a flat tire on uneven terrain.
You want to save weight? Leave the bottle jack behind.
You want improved handling and MPG? Remove your roof rack.

You've built an expedition rig. Bring and be prepared to use the equipment you bought and installed for taking expeditions (which is what your Moab trip is). It seems counterintuitive to own expedition equipment, and then leave it at home when you go on an actual expedition.

BTW, there are rocks on the trails in Moab.

Edit: I just read your other thread and noticed that you're opting to not bring your camping gear, choosing to motel-camp instead. That will save a bunch of weight, so bring your expedition gear.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess I'll be leaving the skidplate on and bringing the hilift too if no one else in the group does. Without it I think I'll probably have trouble changing a flat tire with the 32"+lift, I haven't tried.

Swaybars...the only concern I have is hwy 12 but what's the rush? slow down and enjoy the scenery I guess :)

xplorx4, yeah the gf decided she doesn't want to deal with setup/teardown of the camp each night, this is where RTT could come in handy, so we'll bestaying in a motel during our stay...which reminds me I need to make a reservation...doh! :) So while I'm not excited about the no-camping deal, at least it allows me to travel lighter.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess I'll be leaving the skidplate on and bringing the hilift too if no one else in the group does. Without it I think I'll probably have trouble changing a flat tire with the 32"+lift, I haven't tried.

Swaybars...the only concern I have is hwy 12 but what's the rush? slow down and enjoy the scenery I guess :)

xplorx4, yeah the gf decided she doesn't want to deal with setup/teardown of the camp each night, this is where RTT could come in handy, so we'll bestaying in a motel during our stay...which reminds me I need to make a reservation...doh! :) So while I'm not excited about the no-camping deal, at least it allows me to travel lighter.

I really like camping as well, but I use it as a way to access areas I like to explore, by foot, bike or truck. I don't necessarily count sleeping in a tent as fun. Although after recently buying a neoair dream thermarest its super comfortbale.

You get moab, she gets the bed and showers, I'd call that a win win. Like you said less crap to bring along and you just saved an hour of work in the morning and evening of setup and tear down.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
Hwy 12 isn't a high-speed road (~55-65mph max) and the scenery is spectacular indeed. GSENM is supremely beautiful. The road has a few mildly curvy parts, but if you've gotten used to how your truck handles without the sway bars, don't sweat it.

I'm not sure if your driving itinerary allows for this, but you might want to consider driving through Capitol Reef NP via the Burr Trail from Escalante instead of taking Hwy 12. You'll be driving on a wide graded dirt road once you get into Capitol Reef, but it's absolutely worth it. Capitol Reef has really cool geologic features. Burr Trail is really scenic, too. Here's a random Youtube vid of Burr Trail

crismateski

American Adventurist
I have not had a sway bar connected in over a year and 15k miles, no big deal, makes Paige a bit seasick at times, but no big deal :)

Allof75

Pathfinder

May be a stupid question, but out of curiosity, what does it take to remove/unhook the swaybar?

mortonm

Expedition Leader
May be a stupid question, but out of curiosity, what does it take to remove/unhook the swaybar?

Usually its bolted to the axle and frame on each side. You can get quick disconnects which just have a pin them you can pull out to remove the linkage.

I haven't had the rear sway bar on my Xterra for awhile, but I think sway bars on leaf sprung vehiclkes have less impact than on a coil sprung.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Hwy 12 isn't a high-speed road (~55-65mph max) and the scenery is spectacular indeed. GSENM is supremely beautiful. The road has a few mildly curvy parts, but if you've gotten used to how your truck handles without the sway bars, don't sweat it.

I'm not sure if your driving itinerary allows for this, but you might want to consider driving through Capitol Reef NP via the Burr Trail from Escalante instead of taking Hwy 12. You'll be driving on a wide graded dirt road once you get into Capitol Reef, but it's absolutely worth it. Capitol Reef has really cool geologic features. Burr Trail is really scenic, too. Here's a random Youtube vid of Burr Trail

Hmm, someone else suggested that too but looking at it quickly at that time showed that it would take almost a day to go that route? If not, I wouldn't mind seeing the route on bing/google maps so see what you're recommending :)

I have not had a sway bar connected in over a year and 15k miles, no big deal, makes Paige a bit seasick at times, but no big deal :)

I thought the PowerWagons came with cabin mounted disconnects? Sure makes things much easier.

Usually its bolted to the axle and frame on each side. You can get quick disconnects which just have a pin them you can pull out to remove the linkage.

I haven't had the rear sway bar on my Xterra for awhile, but I think sway bars on leaf sprung vehiclkes have less impact than on a coil sprung.

In my case it takes a lot of curse words, I was glad to get rid of it. The stupid hex nut on the end-links got messed up and just spun and spun. I had to saw it off. Even when everything's good you have to use two wrenches, one to hold the bolt, the other to undo the nut with a box wrench.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
In my case it takes a lot of curse words, I was glad to get rid of it. The stupid hex nut on the end-links got messed up and just spun and spun. I had to saw it off. Even when everything's good you have to use two wrenches, one to hold the bolt, the other to undo the nut with a box wrench.

I did it in my driveway, took a socket, a box wrench 2 hours and an entire can of PB Blaster, pain in the *** indeed

Dmski

Adventurer
Just read through all 50 odd pages you have here and am very impressed with your build!. Great job! How do you like your MV50 air compressor? I'm considering getting one due to the price point and reviews i've heard around.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Stioc, your build is what I have always looked forward to reading due to the similar tastes we share. I hope to keep mine as well thought out as you have. Cheers and keep it coming!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Just read through all 50 odd pages you have here and am very impressed with your build!. Great job! How do you like your MV50 air compressor? I'm considering getting one due to the price point and reviews i've heard around.

Thanks. The MV50 has worked quite well for me, when it dies I'll get another. For the price it's a great bang for the buck. My particular one seems to have an issue where it won't fire up sometimes so I have to pull the fuse, reinsert it and try again. It does have overheat protection and for some reason that kicks in...perhaps because mine is mounted under the hood.

Stioc, your build is what I have always looked forward to reading due to the similar tastes we share. I hope to keep mine as well thought out as you have. Cheers and keep it coming!

Haha, thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

Updates wise not much has changed on the truck recently, just a few 'clean-up' type of work. I modified the DIY skid-plate to use the factory mounting holes in the front which I didn't have the bolts for previously. I also got some 3/8" hardware for the rear- previously they were all different sizes based on what I had on hand at the time. This required re-drilling a few holes but it's on there nice and clean now.

I modified the fridge slide a bit so that it doesn't end up open while driving up on a hill etc. I made a hitch-pin out of a bolt to keep it locked in position. I also added a stop so the fridge doesn't slide out too far because I noticed it starts to twist the (thin) plywood when it's out too far. At some point I should redo the storage-platform with 3/4" plywood as opposed to the 1/2" I have now.

I also enchanced some cabin storage because let's face it this is a small SUV and it starts to feel crammed on our multi-day trips. I have an iPad seat-mount attached to the front passenger seat, the iPad sits above the shifter. I also usually have the CB and HAM and let's not forget a couple of iphones, chargers+cables, a flashlight, a multitool, coffee and water, maps and books and other stuff. I expanded the storage by using a sun visor organizer to keep a few things handy there like the registration, insurance, tire-pressure guage, folding map and a pen. I won't have to dig into the glove box for this stuff now and the glove box can be used for other things. I got a hanging seat-back organizer for my kid to keep things within easy reach and the space tidy. I got those clingy-mat things for the dashboard to keep a few small items (pack of gum, iPhone, hand sanitizer etc handy). I thought about adding overhead net storage but while I want to keep things organized I don't want to start claustrophobia either. I also got a small shoebox sized see-through plastic bin for my kid because kids love to collect rocks, shells, bugs and other souvenirs so rather than worrying about the mess all over the truck let them have their fun. I also got a couple of inflateable neck pillows that fold small (about to the size of my iphone) because I often find my kid dozed off and the head slumped to the side on long trips. To me comfort and convenience is so important on long trips and makes the trip that much more enjoyable.

Lastly the truck got its annual spa treatment with an application of clay, polish and wax...wow I didn't know how many scratches the truck had/still-does but at least the paint looks nice and shiny now. I'm thinking about putting a strip of 3M clear-bra on the front of the hood as it's getting pretty chipped.

Here it is as of last night waiting patiently for its week long trip to UT in a couple of weeks:

56BDB158-EA4F-4D95-B0D8-917F4BB15963-4378-00000668A49F77A2_zps599e4d8d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad