My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks Richard, you and your truck did very well, I was impressed considering you haven't done any harder stuff until now. Now you know what you and your truck are really capable of! :)

Regarding tires above that's pretty normal when crawling over rocks and aired down (20psi on these), the tires fold over them. These tires are designed for this sort of work. It's very important to air down btw not just for traction but because you run the risk of puncturing the tire due to the resisting force. Have you ever plugged a tire? For practice everyone should btw, but if you try to push the reamer into a flat tire with no air it won't go through because the tire will simply flex. However, once you fill it up with air it'll go through with ease- same concept.

AZ_Pathfinder

Oh no I totally understand airing down, I was asking because it almost looked like the tires had too much air in still, not flexing enough. This was on Bulldog Canyon here in AZ, and no it's not a flat, lol. This place you're at looks like a really fun place, love your thread by the way!! Great pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yeah a bit confusing but I was mentioning the airing down part to Richard since he didn't air down until much later on this run. The BFG ATs have pretty stiff sidewalls, mine are E load so even stiffer and on top of that they're skinny so the wheel's are putting the pressure right on the sidewall instead of more offset'd towards the middle which causes the tires to bulge out more. However, rest assured they were flexing over the edges of rocks, a bit less than the pic you posted, but close. I normally run 40psi, I aired down to 20psi. I could go down further but don't want to lose the tire bead on these skinny tires and also airing up 20psi per tire at the end of the day is no fun even with a MV50 type compressor. I'm already considering a CO2 tank. It never ends :)

AZ_Pathfinder

Yeah I think that since they're skinnier tires it's best to stay around 20. Yeah I remember airing up at the end of an 6-8 hour wheeling trip, all I wanted to do was just get home. It's funny how just sitting in a truck and getting out to spot and what not can make you feel so drained, like you ran a marathon or something. Arizona heat will do that I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Looks like a great trip, very cool pics. Interesting about the tires, I never saw my pizza cutters do that.

I need to get out to CA and meet up sometime.

radex7

Got these puppies in the mail yesterday when I got home from work and I didn't waste any time putting them on :)

While I was happy with the KYB gas-a-just shocks (made in Japan and pretty good quality) but with the lift and stiffer AC springs their valving and length was way off. In fact, with the truck on the ground (without any camping gear etc) the KYBs were just about fully extended. The Bilsteins 5100s are about 2.5" longer (wish they were another 1-2" longer; there's always room for improvement!) and much better valving (211/63) so now the handling should be much improved both on and offroad.

9587647B-E8D3-4BF8-8A34-C089A9543AEC_zpszwz5crwy.jpg

Hi there!!!

I registered on this forum to congratulate on your pathfinder build and fun you seem to be having with it! I really enjoyed all the fabrication projects you implemented as well.

Would you be so kind and shared your struts and shocks parts numbers (and supplier if possible), seems that options are nearly countless but so are the opportunities for mistake. If you don't mind I would like to copy your proven lift components, as my current set is shot and it is time to try something different.

Greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks

Radek

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words and feel free to copy anything you find useful.

Here're the part#s but you may want verify to make sure they haven't changed.

KYB Struts: KYB 335031 and 335030 (amazon.com)
Bilstein shocks: SKU: SPKBPF96LFTRR (4x4parts.com)

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Ha! I can't decide but for now the option is off the table unless these tires sell without a big loss.
Looks like my rear diff is having issues too so we shall see how it all goes. These tires work great so I'd rather spend the money on getting the truck operational first.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Ha! I can't decide but for now the option is off the table unless these tires sell without a big loss.
Looks like my rear diff is having issues too so we shall see how it all goes. These tires work great so I'd rather spend the money on getting the truck operational first.

Uh-oh! What kind of issues? The internals or the housing?

stioc

Expedition Leader
The prognosis seems to be internal to the diff but there's also a chance it's transmission related. I don't have time until the end of next week to have it looked at. I'll keep you guys posted ;)

richard310

pew pew
Dang, bummer to hear that. No worries though, I'm in repair-mode as well, so everything else including trips are on the back-burner.

marty1977

Adventurer
Hope you get your repairs resolved quick and without spending to much $$$$. Im myself in the process of fixing as well just need to find time to do a write up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy