My 80 build up thread

latinoguy

Adventurer
12V power points

One of 80 series shortcomings is the fact that it only comes with 1 12v receptacle. Not nearly enough to power the many electronics one may be using at a time: GPS, laptop, CB Radio etc. etc. Therefore adding more is a must do mod.

Front Center Passenger Side console:
IMG_0007.jpg

Behind Center Console:
IMG_0010.jpg

two more in the rear:
IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

Of course power was fused behind the firewall for safety reasons. Fused with 60 amp fuses...

IMG_0036.jpg

The power is delivered with a Buss fuse block mounted on the side of the passenger seat. Yeah I know, I may need to come back here and do a better job of isolating the connections on the power block. But haven't had any issues so far.
IMG_0031.jpg

Last edited:

latinoguy

Adventurer
SS frame to axle brake lines

Having longer L shocks with the 3" suspension can cause a brake line to snap during full articulation, that would ruin a trail run. Longer brake lines address this issue. Might as well go with a Stainless Steel set from sleeoffroad.
IMG_3682.jpg

latinoguy

Adventurer
My Most time intensive Mod

Sliders are a must for protecting those expensive rocker panels, since I also want to travel beyond the easy trails. Again, looking for more budget options, and the fact that the stout Metal Tech, Ken Hannah and Slee sliders were out of my budget at the time, I went along and pulled the trigger on a set of 4xinnovation sliders from Adam. A few other 80 series owners have used these with good success and are happy with them. I went with DOM tubing for extra strenght (these are not specifically designed for the heavier 80 series) and had Adam fab me a set 3-4 inches longer than his off the shelf ones for a bit more $. Wanting a bolt on option I went ahead and borrowed the mount plate ideas from famed "LED" George Scolaro and had a local fabricator assist with the fabrication and install.

I have tested the sliders at a couple of trails to feel good about the protection they provide, and will eventually add bigger and stronger gussets for better support.

I rattle canned the sliders with Rustoleum flat black paint after properly preparing the steel and going thru them with some primer.

The passenger side required extra work to amount for the catalytic converter...
IMG_0016.jpg

You have to make sure to put the U bolts "under the brake lines"
IMG_0007.jpg

I choose to go with the flat angle so my passengers can use the sliders as steps without any trouble.
IMG_0032.jpg

For safety reasons I added 3 comm stair step strips for better step on grip.
IMG_0036.jpg

latinoguy

Adventurer
Latest Mods

I went along and added a pair of the Kragen 7" HID Off Road lights to the ARB bumper. Easy install. Great light pattern and can't beat the price over the name brand HIDs, in spite of being made in China, the perceived quality is satisfactory, and the feed back has been positive from other users so far.

I had the chance to try them out last weekend thru Joshua Tree's Berdoo Canyon at night. I am very satisfied so far.

I also installed the limb risers (sourced high quality cable from Johny aka Wildyoats in other forums.) The rest of the accesories I got at my local home depot. I expect for the limb risers to come in handy during trail runs with tight brush areas.

Latest trail run pic:

IMG_0018.jpg

xtfritz

Observer
Sweet looking 80. Was the solid axle stock on the vehicle when you obtained it? Or was this a swap at some point?

I love the look of the limb risers...compliments the ARB bumper really well :D

WESBC

Observer
xtfritz said:
Sweet looking 80. Was the solid axle stock on the vehicle when you obtained it? Or was this a swap at some point?

I love the look of the limb risers...compliments the ARB bumper really well :D

The 80 series LC's all come with solid axles

xtfritz

Observer
I must be confusing it with 100 series. Those I see a lot of them in the Houston area, totally polished and posh. They don't seem to understand what kind of vehicle they have under their feet and probably never go near the edge of the pavement.

4hilux

Observer
Nice unit - these Cruisers are just fantastic, with the worst thing about them being that ya can't buy a new one thesedays.......
I've had 5 of these 80 series now, & my eyes still glaze over & go funny whenever I see a good one!! Yours is one of the last of them, & in coming years, I see the 80's becoming as legendary as the 40/45 series are. If ya use them hard enough often enough, they will break bits (they are heavy old tarts..!!), but by then - anything else woulda long given up & died for good...!! (picture crying Landrover & Jeep owners......)

Re your what next - Safari Snorkel........???

Last edited:

latinoguy

Adventurer
4hilux said:
Nice unit - these Cruisers are just fantastic, with the worst thing about them being that ya can't buy a new one thesedays.......
I've had 5 of these 80 series now, & my eyes still glaze over & go funny whenever I see a good one!! Yours is one of the last of them, & in coming years, I see the 80's becoming as legendary as the 40/45 series are. If ya use them hard enough often enough, they will break bits (they are heavy old tarts..!!), but by then - anything else woulda long given up & died for good...!! (picture crying Landrover & Jeep owners......)

Re your what next - Safari Snorkel........???

thanks to all for the nice comments. Yep, I plan to get a cheapo daily commuter that gets better gas mileage and keep my LC as my play rig. It hurts me to put daily miles, as it seems like a waste to me. Rather add the miles on the trail or to my favorite destinations.

I don't know what is next on the mod list. Definetly the CDL switch, then either the snorkle or an Aussie Rear Locker.... Can't go wrong with either.

latinoguy

Adventurer
Update

I wanted to give an update on my build process. Basically I haven't done much to the old mule since late 08. The only mod I have done recently has been the CDL / Pin 7 mod. I have also added a portable canopy for much needed shade.
IMG_0011.jpg

This set up is not as convenient as a roll up style shade like an ARB, but it doesn't take too long to set up.
IMG_0009.jpg

latinoguy

Adventurer
One of the main reasons I haven't done much in terms of mods to my LC is because in Dec 2008, I bought a well preserved 3 series bmw as my new to me daily driver. At least my LC is not accumulating all the miles and I only drive her here and there on the weekends.

I have spent some $, and time and energy getting the PM at baseline, as I am doing most of the wrenching myself.

IMG_0007.jpg

bluedog

Adventurer
I wanted to give an update on my build process. Basically I haven't done much to the old mule since late 08. The only mod I have done recently has been the CDL / Pin 7 mod. I have also added a portable canopy for much needed shade.
IMG_0011.jpg

This set up is not as convenient as a roll up style shade like an ARB, but it doesn't take too long to set up.
IMG_0009.jpg

Very nice, Which Canopy is this?

Nice color on the 80.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad