My 'Back Country' trip through Colorado

Richie

Adventurer
Good stuff. Probably one of the last trip reports from the high country of Colorado we'll see. I was in Silverton a few years ago in September and the mountains had a fresh blanket of snow. It really is beautiful country! Thank you for sharing.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Outstanding trip. I regret that I may not have handled the rental jeeps as well as you did.

Luckily, we were in no hurry, and had no set itinerary.

So we just waited them out. When they left, we took a different trail:coffeedrink:

We had everything in our Jeeps, not knowing exactly where we would end up each night, so it was a bit easier to wait them out:ylsmoke:

Seeing how they drove the rental Jeeps, we knew they wouldn't be long in Animas Forks, and we we're right.

After 15-20 minutes, someone started hanking the horn, steady beeps, for 2-3 minutes, then some whistling and hollering "LET'S GO!"

After they left, a stillness fell on the valley, as if they had never been there.

We then resumed our liesurely trip through the mountains:smiley_drive:

I must add, this group was not typical of the folks we ran across.

Everyone else was very polite. We checked with the hikers and mountain bikers, making sure they had water and were good to go.

Even gave 2 hikers a ride down Mt. Antero, to thier rig.

It was a truly relaxing trip, and I can't wait to do it again!:coffeedrink:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Great trip. :elkgrin:

Thanks to share a photos :wings:

My pleasure! The pictures don't quite do it justice, but they either give you a taste of the area, or, if you've been through an area, they bring back fond memories!:coffeedrink:

We are getting ready for 6 months of winter:Wow1:

With not much to do, except :REOutIceFishing: and keeping the fireplace going! :REOutCampFire03:

So, until my annual trip to Moab next Easter (we go after EJS ends)

I live through the pictures and stories of others. Dreaming and planning of the next get away!:smiley_drive:

FlexdXJ

Adventurer
Ahhhhhhhh, damn Indiana. we have nothing nearly that cool here. I am headed out to Moab next October come hell or high water!

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I think we saw that same red Dodge when we were down there in August but it was pulling some side x sides. Loud as all hell. Saw it in Telluride and Silverton.

The "boss's house" was actually the brothel, lol.

We came to loathe the majority of the rentals we ran into down there as well. From people drinking on Corkscrew Gulch to others not understanding the concept of shelf roads and 4-low we steered clear of the rentals whenever we saw them.

outinthewoods

Adventurer
Man thanks for the great pics and report!

Yeah the rentals can be a real pain around here, but for the most part it's their lack of trail etiquette thats the worst, and I assure you that is not a trait reserved for the rental crowd! to bad you had bad weather for Engineer. The colors are really getting spectacular this last week!!

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I just got back from an 8 day trip through Colorado and Mosquito pass as a real treat in the WAVE Sportsmobile. It was the first of many shelf roads we did and the first time I had tried serious shelf roads in that rig.
Scary stuff but no real worries.

Great report and always good to see fathers & sons staying strong and enjoying building memories.

Raw7s

Adventurer
thanks for the report, I'm making plans of heading to the Ouray/Silverton area next summer. I hadn't thought about the wind, no evidence in other pictures, but 80+ mph is crazy!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Great report and always good to see fathers & sons staying strong and enjoying building memories.

:elkgrin: "Pappy" is just Dave's screen name in our local club:snorkel:

He's but ten years older than I am at 54 (I'm 44) and we are the oldest 2 members of our local club, which Dave started after not finding any clubs in the area that did his kind of wheeling.

My dad is going to hit 70 in Dec, and we still do a lot of things together, as we only live 10 miles apart.

I'm working on a slideshow/video disc for my dad, as he doesn't have high speed internet were he lives.

He does like my trip videos! And we're rebuilding a '46 CJ2A together.:coffeedrink:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
thanks for the report, I'm making plans of heading to the Ouray/Silverton area next summer. I hadn't thought about the wind, no evidence in other pictures, but 80+ mph is crazy!

That was on top of Mt. Antero, although anytime you get above treeline, around 11,500 ft, thier is a good chance of strong winds.

It was a great trip! Coming from northern MN, where the trees are so thick, you can't really see the topography, Colorado was a real treat!:coffeedrink:

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
My friend's Bronco has similar issues as your friend Danny's Bronco. They both have the same color scheme, same overheating problems, and other quirks. It seems on every trip something breaks on my friend's Bronco. It happens so often that we have to joke about it all the time.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Pics of my friend's Bronco

Overheats all the time, even with electric fans and extra cooling from the hood scoop.
115238433YM0yIc0p_DSC1118.jpg

Drive shaft broke.
9953717220UP1uQB_DSC0727.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__