My 'Back Country' trip through Colorado

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
My friend's Bronco has similar issues as your friend Danny's Bronco. They both have the same color scheme, same overheating problems, and other quirks. It seems on every trip something breaks on my friend's Bronco. It happens so often that we have to joke about it all the time.

I bet he has a stock 302 V8 also!:elkgrin:

Awesome report! Makes me super jealous down here in flat TX. :(

For the amount of TX plates I saw, I thought we made a wrong turn:snorkel:

While we saw quite a few out of state plates, TX was by far the majority.

Even the guy we bought our fishing lisences from made a joke about it.

When we gave him our DL's, he said "Minnesota? Not from Texas, huh?":)

Then he saw our shirts and said "Oh yeah, most folks from Texas don't wear flannel shirts!":coffeedrink:

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
He has a 351 with too many mods in it now.:smiley_drive:

yup, 351 V8 mated to a NP435, 4.88 gears with chromo axles, 4:1 T-case, 35 spline detroit rear locker with ARB locker up front running on 37" BFG Krawlers.
On paper it sounds like a great set up but the downfall would have to be the mechanic (owner of bronco).
Its cool though, he always adds a dash of adventure to our trips :D

DexGtr

Observer
I bet he has a stock 302 V8 also!:elkgrin:

For the amount of TX plates I saw, I thought we made a wrong turn:snorkel:

While we saw quite a few out of state plates, TX was by far the majority.

Even the guy we bought our fishing lisences from made a joke about it.

When we gave him our DL's, he said "Minnesota? Not from Texas, huh?":)

Then he saw our shirts and said "Oh yeah, most folks from Texas don't wear flannel shirts!":coffeedrink:

we all drive to colorado...even i'm planning a trip there come spring..:smiley_drive:

Mr. D

Adventurer
excellent report, great to see pictures of an area I spent a lot of summers as a kid growing up in colo. Eventhough I live in the desert of Nevada I still get back to Colorado usually every summer.

When I was in the Silverton area doing trails a few yrs ago I was almost ran over by a tourist group also. I was so happy they didn't follow us up to the top of Imogene pass.

I always thought is was funny as a kid camping when my brothers and I would walk around looking at all the license plates and we would say damn those texans but they were sure fun to talk too.

I am so happy you enjoyed Colorado.

Laters, Kelly aka Mr. D

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Great Report

I would have loved to have been on that trip Instead I was out on the White Rim Trail helping a buddy try to get his truck. I posted my story here. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49183 I have a qustion for you. I to own a Cherokee, and I am trying to decided what to do. It's a '97 and had almost 150K on the odometer. It has normal issues, the worst is that the frame and body are starting to flex and creek. My question is do you know if at the point doors start to hang up will a chasis stiffiner fix the frame problem. I am considering a Tacoma, but I am attached to the XJ.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Now that we're 'snowed in' for a few months, I was checking out the trip report, and reliving the great time we had in CO!:coffeedrink:

I would have loved to have been on that trip Instead I was out on the White Rim Trail helping a buddy try to get his truck. I posted my story here. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49183 I have a qustion for you. I to own a Cherokee, and I am trying to decided what to do. It's a '97 and had almost 150K on the odometer. It has normal issues, the worst is that the frame and body are starting to flex and creek. My question is do you know if at the point doors start to hang up will a chasis stiffiner fix the frame problem. I am considering a Tacoma, but I am attached to the XJ.

JC, sorry I didn't see this sooner! My computer went south not long after getting back.

I know the XJ drive train will go great up to and over 200K miles if taken care of.

But, as you know, the uni-body isn't as great.:snorkel:

I know the chasis stifeners help, but I don't know if they will do much good once the doors start sagging.

Wish I could be more help. Most of the guys I know, who wheel thier XJ's hard, run them until the body is shot, then buy another one that was a 'grocery getter' and swap the lift, tires and other do-dads onto it.

HB

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Is this statement because of snow (for the season), or are trails getting closed out there?

Pretty sure he meant '..for the season'

Colorado likes the money brought in by tourists!
And the trails and mountain passes are numerous.

The trails are well maintained, usually by local clubs who adopt them.

Anytime after Labor Day can bring snow to the high country, and it's long not until the passes are either to deep, or to dangerous, to traverse.

When you go, please tread lightly, and (the CO motto) "Stay the Trail!"

:coffeedrink:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__