My Build Thread: 1998 F-150 AKA Trunchbull

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I had a 1998 F-150 with the 4.6. Keep your weight to a minimum or the trans will hunt you to death. 265 tires and moderate weight in the shell will work fine. Luckily,I had the manual t-case.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I had a 1998 F-150 with the 4.6. Keep your weight to a minimum or the trans will hunt you to death. 265 tires and moderate weight in the shell will work fine. Luckily,I had the manual t-case.

Yeah. I learned that via the previous owner. He towed his TT all the time so when I got it the rear end was howling. Finally blew up and I had the whole thing re done. My tranny is doing surprisingly well. I check it every 8k-10k to make sure its okay. Have around 220k on the odo with the stock tranny. (Knock on wood).

The 4.6L is not my favorite engine. The MPG is barely any different than the 5.4L but the power is significantly weaker.

I hope my truck will last another 20k (which I think it will) until I'm really ready to buy a new truck.

Madmaxwell87

Observer
Sounds pretty simple...with the exception of the spark plugs. Since its a 98 I assume its over 100k miles correct? If it is over 100k miles, I assume the plugs have been changed before.

Either way, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL when removing the plugs. They have a tendency to strip/break off. If that happens you either need a new head which will run you about $1500 or you will have to do a heli-coil (I think that's what it's called) for about $800. I suggest taking it to a mechanic and have it professionally done. It is a common problem on most Ford from that generation all the way up to 2002/3 I believe. There are tons of threads on Ford Truck forums regarding this so make sure you do your research!

Just FYI the 2v 4.6 and 5.4l engines shoot plugs out of the heads because of not having enough threads and usually being torqued improperly. The newer 3v motors are the ones with the 2 piece plugs that can break.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have absolutely no idea...I've seriously looked into a Tacoma or 4Runner (even started a thread) but they are just a little to small for my lifestyle and needs and I also don't like the lack of power. I've also looked into a 15 F150...Which I'm still leaning towards to be honest. I like the 3.5L EB and they are just all around great trucks. Oh, and, if I want to be scraping by every month I'll get a Raptor!!

I only drive 16 miles a day and then occasionally go up to see my parents on the weekends which is 50 miles round trip so I don't see the need for a new vehicle right now. Might get a street legal dirtbike instead!

But then again, my mind is constantly changing in regards to a vehicle I want to purchase so it could honestly change tomorrow.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
nah nah nah

tumblr_lavu4jVfxL1qbbpaoo1_500.png

what you need to do is get a Sequoia

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks!!

Do it. It's so nice. On the left side of the bed where there is a narrow area between the wood and the wheel well, I keep a shovel, a big metal pole for leverage and some come alongs. In the box on the right I keep all my tools and miscellaneous things. In the center I found an old lacrosse bad that I have that fits all of my cooking materials and stoves, etc and it slides in perfectly. Kind of hard to see but there is at the end of the bed right before the cab that is kind of boxed off. I have it so the cover flips up. I originally had planned to run all my electrical there and have a safe spot for it but kind of ran out of motivation to finish it so I use it to keep things that I know I wont need for a trip...but still bring anyways.

The functionality of the whole idea is fantastic. I usually keep all of my stuff with my but can still throw my surf or snowboard in there, or tools or whatever. One time at work I hopped in the back and took a nap during my lunch break!

Few things I recommend: Be a better carpenter than I am and find out a way to secure the whole thing to your bed. Mine had moved around on rough roads and has cracked in some spots.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Even more of a reason not to buy one!! I kinda like the Tacos and really like the T4R...all other toyotas I don't care for.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Spent another 1k on my truck. Took it in to have the trans flushed and checked out and they called me back with a list of things that needed to be replaced....I guess that's what happens when you have a vehicle with over 200k on the clock. Had my batt cables replaced, master brake cylinder, rear dif was serviced and had a leaking gasket, few other misc things...Luckily for me the trans was fine so hopefully it will be about a year before I need to put any more money into it.

It's nice to see the rewards of taking care of my truck over the past 10 years...oil change every 3k miles and serviced before something needed to be serviced.

But I do still want a 15 F-150, and a T4R TE, and a BMW X5.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thinking of getting a Scan Gauge II or an Edge Insight CTS2...I know one is a little different then the other and the price of the Edge is more than double that of the Scan Gauge.

Anyone have experience with either? I know a lot of people stand by the Scan Gauge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3