My camper ideas, thoughts, and plans...

haven

Expedition Leader
Innovan

In Australia, a company called Innovan makes a caravan that
has a clamshell roof similar to Metcalf's original design.

17.jpg

16.jpg

Overall dimensions of the Innovan camper in closed position are
1500 mm high, 2800 mm long, 2150 mm wide
59 inches high, 110 inches long, 85 inches wide

I chopped a couple of photos to show what the camper would
look like mounted on a short wheelbase Fuso FG:

840825_40_full.jpg

Yes, it does look like a miniature garbage truck, thanks very much.

You can purchase the Innovan as an unfinished shell without windows,
or as a finished camper with a variety of equipment.

View more at Innovan's web site: http://innovan.com.au/

Chip Haven

VikingVince

Explorer
How about attaching a HiLo travel trailer to a truck's frame rails? Take off the wheels, axle, etc. It opens straight up and down...you'd have a low center of gravity. The quality of the unit is probably questionable...like most U.S. motorhomes/trailers...but on the plus side it would be an "easy" conversion, all the amenities, low COG, and a hardsided popup.
www.hilotrailer.com

It would be similar to what the Hackneys did...attaching a BigFoot camper to the Fuso FG 4x4. You'd probably have to extend the frame rails like they did.
www.hackneys.com

haven

Expedition Leader
Hi-Lo

The Hi-Lo trailer line includes a 17 foot trailer that would probably fit on a cab-forward truck like a Fuso FG. The frame of the 136" wheelbase Fuso FG is 157" in length. After the trailer hitch is removed, the Hi-Lo would be about 14 feet/168" long. The 19 foot model (16 feet/192" without the hitch) might move the center of gravity back too far.

As VikingVince points out, the biggest problem with the Hi-Lo is construction quality. It definitely is not in the same league as the Bigfoot products.

If you're interested in a pop-up camper, the Alaskan Camper folks will make a custom model without cab-over that will provide the same room as the Hi-Lo. The Alaskan Camper is very well constructed.

Here's what a 13 foot Alaskan Camper looks like on a Sprinter chassis.

DSC00067.jpg

Chip Haven

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Thanks, I can't wait to visit this project again when I have some more time. Right now I am getting geared up to rebuild a 04-06 Jeep LJ for a do everything vehicle....everything from daily driving to week long baja trips.

haven

Expedition Leader
Safari Trek

In the 1990's the Safari RV company produced an interesting Class A model called the Trek that included a bed lift. The "Magic Bed" lowered down over the seating area just behind the driver's seat. This allowed the vehicle to forego a separate bedroom. As a result, the overall length of the Trek model was 24 to 28 feet, rather than the 30 plus feet of the typical Class A. The shorter length made the Trek much easier to drive.

The Magic Bed had two problems. First, the coach had to be level to keep the bed from jamming in the tracks as it lowered. Second, the electric motor driving the bed up and down wasn't strong enough, and there were many failures.

For trivia buffs, some Trek models were powered by a Mitsubishi 3.9L turbo 4 cylinder diesel engine. RVs thus equipped were very slow, but got relatively good fuel mileage.

Chip Haven

kerry

Expedition Leader
Lots of European motorhomes like Hymer's have had drop down beds over the driver/passenger seats.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I haven't stopped thinking about this one....its a big daunting project that will cost a lot of money, but I still think about it. Unimog campers are not cheap.

This new design I have been working on was in an effort to see how comfortable of a camper I could fit inside a low height fixed shell. The shell on this camper is only 5' tall and would not stick that far above the cab of the Unimog. The shell is 7' wide and 12' long. It was designed to fit on an L37 wheelbase unimog and preserve the departure angle.

I kept the drop down bathroom/entry idea. I like that this provides a decreased step in height along with a full standing height area in the bathroom. The floor of the bathroom/entry doubles as a shower pan. So even with the short camper height, you still get an area to stand up and stretch even when trapped in the camper in bad weather.

I tried to minimize the weight at the rear of the camper. The only weight behind the rear tires is the couch/fold up bed, and a clothes wardrobe. The long outside storage compartment would have any heavy items stored as far forward as practical. The spare tire is also at the front of the camper to keep weight forward. There is also a 75 gallon water tank between the spare tire and kitchen area. All the plumbing ( hot water exchanger and espar ) will be under the kitchen sink.

In general, this design is suppose to be built as light as possible. The frame of the camper would be nidacore/aluminum with the interior structure built our of something like epoxy coated 1/4" marine plywood. The counter top would be aluminum with a welded in sink. No drawers would be used, instead light weight perforated aluminum baskets would be used with elastic cord keepers. A net or fabric curtain would be used over the wardrobe. There would only be a privacy curtain ( shower curtain ) between the main camper section and bathroom/entry. Weight would be saved in all parts when possible. Ideally all the dividing walls, cabinet bottoms, etc....could all be water jet cut with lighting holes and features.

To use the kitchen you would install a removable stool in the floor. This would allow comfortable use of the kitchen for cooking and dishes.

The bed folds out from the couch area covering the entire open floor area in the main area of the camper. It should take less than a minute to change from couch to bed. All the bedding would be stored under the couch for easy access and use. This is also very light material and can be stored at the rear of the camper.

I think keeping the camper as light as practical would open up an entirely new world in off-road performance for the Unimog chassis. Most of the weight in this design is as far forward as possible. The water tank, spare tire, kitchen, and bathroom are all ahead of the rear wheels and basically sitting on the floor of the 'bed' of the original unimog design.

camper1.jpg

camper2.jpg

camper3.jpg

Thoughts?

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
L37 unimog....so 3700mm or approx 146"

Departure and breakover angle would remain as good as a the stock unimog.

dzzz

A couple of thoughts;

-There's a lot of emphasis on the kitchen, but the small living space with a 5' ceiling would seem to indicate an outdoor orientation.

- What can you do with a 5 foot ceiling that you couldn't do with a six foot?

- What's the advantage of putting most of the weight on the front axle?

- How big of an opening can be made to the cab?

- On the rear wall you could put a huge hatch with a screen to expand the space in good weather (like watdahelisdat)

Just for reference I attached the most common expo plan. 16 x 7.5. Too big for a 1300L

Attachments

• basic.jpg
    basic.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 274

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
-There's a lot of emphasis on the kitchen, but the small living space with a 5' ceiling would seem to indicate an outdoor orientation.

The 5' ceiling is more about clearance off-road and the ability to fit in a standard shipping container. 5' keeps the overall height of the camper box to just over the height of the unimog cab ( 6-9" ).

The big kitchen is going to be used for the bad weather portions of the trip. Its not all fun in the sun for this concept :) That is the major motivation for lighter, lower, and more off-road performance.

- What can you do with a 5 foot ceiling that you couldn't do with a six foot?

-lower center of gravity
-the corners are lower so they don't get caught as much off-road
-Fit in a shipping container

- What's the advantage of putting most of the weight on the front axle?

Off road performance. If you can keep a 50/50 weight distribution, or even a little front heavy you will be able to push the truck further. Keeping most of the weight between the front and rear axle keeps the moment down so the chassis dynamically handles better IMOO.

- How big of an opening can be made to the cab?

No opening to the cab. You might be able to have a small window from the bathroom to the cab but I don't think its worth the hassle. In an emergency you could exit the hatch in the unimog and enter the camper through the vent/skylight/hatch or the opposite.

- On the rear wall you could put a huge hatch with a screen to expand the space in good weather (like watdahelisdat)

I was thinking of making the window smaller on the passenger side ( non kitchen side ) and having a large opening there. That would open up the area by the bed a lot.

I don't want a hatch on the rear of the camper. I think the rear wall is the hardest to seal against dust and water because of the vacuum behind the truck when its moving.

The rest of the bed also props up against the rear wall to form the back of the couch.

dzzz

I would make it as tall as will fit in a hi cube container.

attached is my version
- outward right hand door to hide toilet
- you need three risers for 24 inch of stairs, the last riser can be closer to the rear tire as it's higher
- I took out the L counter and gave access to a large closet with the water tank on the floor
-I turned the tire
-I would go back 18 inches with a cut to maintain depature angle. Put the 'cut' under the couch

Attachments

• metplan3.jpg
    metplan3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 164

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater