My Conqueror and Rig!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Awesome find Dendy. :wings: I know options are limited back East. Looks like you may have a great area now that will offer lots of new options down the road.

Honu

lost on the mainland
love that trailer :) as I sniff when I drive in to a empty spot next to my rig now :(

nice looking spot to choose by the lake :)

oaqua

Excellent story Dendy;your kids will never forget that trip.It is getting more and more difficult to camp like that in many areas of North America that is true.I hope I will be able to get to similar spots once I have my new trailer too.Keep on 'treading lightly'! :)

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Oaqua: Thanks- that is exactly what we are looking for ... a place so our children experience the great outdoors.
The only disappointment was that we picked up a hefty large garbage bag full of garbage from former campers or boaters (that had washed up on shore).
We took it to the ranger station on our way out.

D

JSimmons

Casual Observer
Hi Mr. Jarrett,

I'm more of a lurker here than anything, but I was happy to see your posting about your trip to LBL. I live on Fort Campbell just up the road from you, and being that I am originally from Oregon, I have always missed the wide-open spaces of the western U.S. compared to places east of the Mississippi. You have probably correctly guessed that I have not made any forays into LBL but your description of the remote area you were able to find has given me some inspiration. In fact, I've done very little off-road exploring around these parts. Mostly trying to find those secret fishing spots...

Anyhow, I'm also amazed at that trailer that you have. I have not done a whole lot of research on items like that being available in the U.S. but I sure think there would be quite a market for them if someone steps up with the skills to produce them. If I came home with one of those my wife would be more willing to go camping after she finishes wacking me over the head with a frying pan.

Well, glad to see there is another mid-Tenn person around here. Perhaps I can learn more from you about where to go/where to avoid as my wife and I more of the quiet and remote weekend fishing/hunting types than the super-swamper with open V8 headers in a mud-pit types.

Have a great weekend.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I used to live near LBL since 1989 and have explored almost every backroad and trail in the place, more in the KY portion, a little less in TN. Glad you found it to your liking. A few observations: there are few boondock sites that someone doesn't think is their own and a few can be downright rude about moving in next to you and making you feel unwelcome. It's a redneck thing. Usually loud music and drunkenness too. And trash as you have seen. They come by boat or truck so no place is too remote. Summer holidays are very crowded. I have found that the Barkley side can be a little less visited because the bays are usually shallower/muddier but that means poorer swimming. I usually carried a canoe or kayak so I could paddle to better swimming spots. Fishing is usually very good in those bays. Be careful getting too far off roads as you can be ticketed for leaving numbered roads. Speaking of numbered roads there is a number system that denotes amount of maintenance used. Roads numbered in 100s are usually paved or smooth gravel and range to 400s which are very primitive. There are not many of the latter. You have spoken with the rangers, probably Bill and Kyle, so much of this is not new to you. One last caution: LBL is famous for its ticks. The spray that is sold in the visitor centers works best.

My favorite time of year in LBL is the fall, late Sept to about mid-Nov. Fall colors are brilliant, day temps are comfortable, nights are cool for sleeping, lakes are low exposing more beaches and after the first frost ticks are much fewer.

I now live in Colorado but know I will miss LBL, especially come fall. I hope you and your family will enjoy "my backyard" for years to come.

Ace

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Ace, it is funny you mention ticks. I grew up in South Carolina and a very rural S.C., so ticks were not unfamiliar to me. However, I have never seen them like they were there this past weekend. We were sitting out on the gravel bar and as the sun rose, moved under the trees. Suddenly, we noticed we both had a few ticks crawling on us. They were falling out of the trees. I was used to having them get on me from brushing up against the bushes, but never from falling out of trees.
So yes, be wary of ticks if you go there!
D

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Did the Elk Watch the last weekend in September.
Here are a couple of shots of the Trailer and Camp:

100-1.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

IMG_5015.jpg

More to follow-

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Yeah, Hella 90mm Projectors. There are only two sets in existence so far. (the proto types and this production set). They were fairly straight forward and included a wiring harness so they work just like OEM. They are DOT approved and flat blow away any other tested. Go to my thread in the Jeep forum to see the link to the test results.
Thanks
D

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
So, most of you probably know I am back in a Land Rover due to the towing and storage capacity of the AEV JKU being too skimpy for the trailer when it is loaded with gear for 2 kids, 2 adults and a dog.
2009 LR3 that is nicely equipped.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/94724-Like-A-Moth-To-The-Flame-My-New-LR3

IMG_5559_zps24d31de5.jpg

IMG_1739_zpsdf5b32ff.jpg

So, I am now prepping the trailer for Spring 2013.
I had a friend in Nashville that had imported some Land Rover Alloys that are not sold in the States. He wanted the wolf wheels I had on the trailer for a 110 he is building. I thought these alloys were quite nice and in keeping with the LR3 (the LR3 has 18's ... the trailer 16's) The truck has BF Goodrich 265/65 18's, so I put 265/75 16s on the trailer.

I can't wait to get all three on, get the trailer prepped for Spring and get a trip or two in!!

New shoes:

IMG_1735_zpsb83e4e00.jpg

IMG_1736_zps5a9d8e6d.jpg

Here are the wheels on the LR3:

IMG_5567_zps4ce2e8d0.jpg

D

Last edited:

oradba69

Observer
Dendy,
awesome thread. Living in the land of Conqueror how can I not own one :)
Have the Conquest but will most probably upgrade at a later stage.
Dont want to spam/hijack your thread but if you are interested here is our last trip blog to the West Coast of South Africa:
http://lani4travel.com/west-coast-2012/
We are leaving for Namibia in a weeks time and I will update the website wherever I have cellphone reception.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Wow- I just went through your Blog.
Awesome trips. Loved where you were camping right on the beach! Great.
Love your rig as well. Guessing your Discovery 4 (LR4) is a Diesel!?! (we don't have those here).

I'll for sure be following you. I am also a member of this forum on your turf!
http://4x4community.co.za/forum/index.php

D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven