My Dodge Dakota, the "Comvee"

Nick02

Jessi Combs thought my truck was cool...
img2462o.jpg

img2460h.jpg

img2461sv.jpg

Went camping
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Went and did some snow wheelin, hence the temp ugly mudflap ECU/TCM covers...
anyways had a little fun in the snow last weekend after the storm and it did great.
First time ever driving in snow wee! :) Mudflap fenders to protect the computers and such.
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Last edited:

Nick02

then onto AZrocks 2012 with some yota guys and such
scaled.php

scaled.php

new sliders are cool 3/16 2x3 with a mix of some 1/4" thick legs that tie into some 1/4" CNC press brake bent gussets I bent around the frame and tie into the rear leafspring hangers and front LCA mounts
altho I miss the bodydamage, because chicks dig it...
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Nick, I have a sneaking suspicion that your truck is going to end up as a rock buggy someday! Oh and who is Jessi Combs? Somebody famous? I'm always out of the loop.

Nick02

Maybe it will become a rock buggy, but I promise it will always be capable of going 70MPH, AC, Radio, powerwindows and be fully street legal :)

Nick02

For the longest time I had trouble with my daily driver and the Dakota got ignored. I got fed up with paying for large amounts of gas and maintenance for my daily so I went out and leased a Nissan Leaf, I love the little sucker and it leaves me enough coin at the end of the month so I can enjoy the Dakota again. Having enough money floating around for gas and mods is always a good thing.
Anyways, I disliked the fender-less look so I went back and fiberglassed the fenders. I added a new tubular radiator internal support structure for lights and more armor for the engine/radiator. The Dakota is becoming an expedition vehicle again, I took the shell off my camper and slapped it on. It's top heavy but very warm and safe inside.
Sway bars will needed for the future, new tires are needed badly as the pitbulls are near bald, I want to go radials this time around. Tires I am considering for replacement include 37" BFG hummer takeoffs or 39" baja ta's, the pitpulls did last me a long time but they don't dissipate heat well, I cannot go above 65mph and on the highway I have to stop every 30 minutes for a few minutes to let them cool or else the truck will bounce itself apart.
Here are some photo's from a recent trip from Cottonwood to Sedona to flagstaff with as much off-road miles possible.

We arrived on out planned route at night, it was pretty cold and dark out, but I tucked the dakota in and found a camping spot with a fire pit. Lit the lantern, unloaded the camper and headed to bed.
IMG_0586.JPG

When I woke up I was greeted with this breathtaking view.
IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

Did some foot exploring and found a small pond nearby.
IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

Went and ran the rest of the trail.
IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

Enjoyed the natural beauty.
IMG_0619.JPG

Quck stop for some Ice in crowded Sedona and onto some fun at broken arrow sedona AZ.
IMG_0632.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

After Sedona we went on our way up to flagstaff, I really wanted a spot that overlooked Sedona and we found one. After over 60miles of offroad travel we finally found this spot, secluded from everything way up on the rim.
IMG_0695.JPG

When we arrived I found a fire pit and stacked some rocks underneath the Dakota to level it out for sleeping.
IMG_0681.JPG

She was happy it was leveled.
IMG_0691.JPG

Some views from the spot.
IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0674.JPG

I really enjoyed cooking in this spot.
IMG_0671.JPG

Got a fire going and spent the night.
IMG_0666.JPG

After that packed everything back up and made it home, took some time to check out a few structures on our way out.
IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

Last edited:

Nick in Ca

Hey Nick, I subscribed to this forum a few years back for my M101 trailer and saw this thread. It caught my eye cuz I have a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 and Ive been toying with painting it flat desert tan. I still wanna do it, as now the clear coat is going in places and the silver looks like junk. My plan its to da the whole truck and rattle can it with Rustoleum desert tan, or something with a sealer in it so it can stay the flat appearance and not rust or rub off. Then do Duplicolor bed coating on the lower valance.

But I just recently came back after being off this for a long time, and saw your comment about wanting to replicate the fenders and look of the Power Wagon. Well I just wanted to show you my ultimate expedition vehicle, my 1948 Dodge Power Wagon and 1952 M101 trailer. THIS is what you want to duplicate, cuz this is what the '99 tried to duplicate. :)

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p582/Captain4164/1948 B1Power Wagon/photo-10.jpg
http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p582/Captain4164/1948 B1Power Wagon/photo-6.jpg
http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/Captain4164/library/1948 B1Power Wagon/Complete truck and trailer

(Sorry for the links, for some reason the photo uploader isn't working for me)

Nick02

Hey Nick, I subscribed to this forum a few years back for my M101 trailer and saw this thread. It caught my eye cuz I have a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 and Ive been toying with painting it flat desert tan. I still wanna do it, as now the clear coat is going in places and the silver looks like junk. My plan its to da the whole truck and rattle can it with Rustoleum desert tan, or something with a sealer in it so it can stay the flat appearance and not rust or rub off. Then do Duplicolor bed coating on the lower valance.

But I just recently came back after being off this for a long time, and saw your comment about wanting to replicate the fenders and look of the Power Wagon. Well I just wanted to show you my ultimate expedition vehicle, my 1948 Dodge Power Wagon and 1952 M101 trailer. THIS is what you want to duplicate, cuz this is what the '99 tried to duplicate. :)

http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p582/Captain4164/1948 B1Power Wagon/photo-10.jpg
http://i1157.photobucket.com/albums/p582/Captain4164/1948 B1Power Wagon/photo-6.jpg
http://s1157.photobucket.com/user/Captain4164/library/1948 B1Power Wagon/Complete truck and trailer

(Sorry for the links, for some reason the photo uploader isn't working for me)
Sweet power wagon! super jealous! the NDT's look right on it!
I used rustoleum khaki on the truck, it does fade over the years and does hold in grease stains, no flakeing or peeling however. When I did my trailer I used a flat tan enamel paint used for fences, thinned with acetone and sprayed through a gun it was way easier to spray then with a can and is holding up great.

Nick02

Well there is no way around the 16" radial tire thing so 17" rims are the only way to go. I picked up some 17" Hummer H2 rims off craigslist for cheap, three chrome style and one painted. I designed, prototyped and waterjet some rock rings for them too since I chewed up my lip on my 16's. The rock rings are cut from three pieces of 1/4" aluminum and will be welded onto the rim lip, grinding down the chrome coating took way longer than expected!
The tires are 40x13.5x17 Yokohama Geolandar M/Ts I got them for cheaper then my bias pitbulls! super excited for radials and the chance to drive faster then my unimog LOL!
photo+1+%25281%2529.JPG

photo+2.JPG

Yokohama radial construction seems good but the sidewalls are kinda BFG km2/ goodyear duratrack thin, so I will leave the hardcore trails to the pitbulls and double beadlocks. I missed running bias but I do more long camping trips with lots of highway miles with the dakota now verses the hardcore trails anymore.
Here is one 40" unmounted Yokohama compared to the 39" worn down pitbull
5P_g1PgeeYdr3T066RRhWXgLngDfL8NQrGuC8vtz4GQ=w769-h577-no

yay for a pallet of tread!
image_3.jpeg

85lbs is pretty light for a radial 40", should give better fuel economy and less stress on the driveline.
image_4.jpeg

all ready to get mounted and balanced!
image_7.jpeg

Nick02

Was waiting on a professional guy to weld the rock rings but he was taking way too long, so for the first time in three years I picked up the TIG and took matters into my own hands, four hours of labor but I still got it!
photo+2+%25282%2529.JPG

photo+3.JPG

photo+1.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp