My Dodge Dakota, the "Comvee"

bmxdannyo

Adventurer
this is an awesome build! Where did you get your mud flaps at? i have to get some now, and im not a big fan of the hard plastic ones, id rather get flexible ones.
-Danny

Nick02

The mudflaps are semi-truck mudflamps from NAPA, I cut one in half and made two.

Not much to update, work has been super busy; but fun. My MIG skills are improving, it's nice when you get to weld every day.
I plasma'd all the ford brackets and cleaned the axle, got mocked it up on the dakota..
just kidding.. but hey, at least it's in front of something ;)
p1000317y.jpg

Got the brakes for the axle, and man those Dayton calipers are gigantic, I was hardly able to clear my 16X8's, but it looks like i'll be keeping the ford outers.
I decided to change the coil-bucket idea; I'am going to make a coil/shock buckets that are identical to factory TJ coil frame-side mounts except they will sit inside the frame. I should have it modeled, water-jet, and bent after I get some more exact measurements from my girlfriends TJ.

Last edited:

jeremi

Really dig the truck particularly the fenders/bedsides I was curious if I could get you to take some measurements for me as I'm contemplating those bedsides for my Quadcab. The manufacturer couldn't tell me what would be involved other than cutting the extra off the front. Could you please(at your leisure) measure the distance from the leading edge of the taillight to the leading edge of your fuel fill door. Also a measurement from the inside of the wheel tub to the outer lip of the bedside (center) as well as the front to back measurement of the wheel opening. The wheel openings look fantastic with the 35s Heck while your at it could you get a measurement of your rear axle outside of tire-outside of tire measurement as a reference as I will be on full width axles when this modification hopefully takes place. I really appreciate your time and help with this and I'll be watching your build closely

jammons5126

i went to the glassworksunlimited.com site and was looking up what you have and the only thing i could find was for a Ram. did you get the ram fiberglass? does it fit the dakotas well? i was gonna put a pic of my dakota up but its not working to do that. i have a 2002 dakota 4wd sport.

Nick02

Will get measurements soon, a bit tied up at the moment.
I was prepping the truck to go to king of the hammers yesterday and noticed both my inner tie rod ends have 1/4" of play.. and cupped my tires!
I wont be taking the truck to CA but i'll still be going, we'll be bringing the race rally-fighter to show off and drive around in; i'll post up some pics when i'am back. I am going to have the doubler in after spring break, I hope to get away with no rear cv until the SAS. Drive-shaft is 37" compressed and 40" extended.

jeremi

I appreciate those measurements when you get a chance I'm mostly curious about the 4.5" width increase that's over a stock truck without flares I assume

Nick02

I started to collect parts, starting with an np231 from a cash 4 clunkers XJ and a dana24 from an old ford. I took the chain out of the NP231 and welded it shut after I cut it in half
I had in initial idea for the front suspension my first venture into computer modeling!
first%2Bcad.jpg

I made this cross-member as a final version, I decided to go round the front rather then under for when I remove the body lift and for better approach angle.
563650_455978361133729_1450433669_n.jpg

Here it is in real life, it was cut on the waterjet 3/16" mild steel.
front%2Bcrossmember%2Bwelded%2Bin.jpg

front%2Bcrossmember.jpg

I then removed the old crossmember that is taking up space where the steering box and axle needs to go.
front%2Bifs%2Bmember%2Bcut%2Bout.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat