My extremely slow 2001 Tundra build thread

BrianTN

Adventurer
How difficult is installing a new transmission? Something your average shade tree mechanic can do without special tools or a lift?

TittySprinkles

Not too bad. Just make sure to have lots of extensions to get at the top bellhousing bolts and a transmission jack. The Harbor Frieght $80 scissor-type jack works great. I can drop my transmission and transfer case as a unit in about an hour. It's not fun, but doable, especially if you have a suspension lift.

If you do it, just make sure to replace the input and output shaft seals, and possibly the oil pump body O-ring. $40 in parts now will save your from redoing all the work again later. Learn from my mistake...

BrianTN

Adventurer
I'm too busy with work and helping my girlfriend move at the moment, so I'll have him change the transmission. I'll just drive the truck till it dies. Pretty soon I'll be finished with residency and my funds will increase quite a bit. I really do like the truck, but there are some shortcomings that have me eyeing other vehicles. My mothers Discovery I looks like a fun project.

BrianTN

Adventurer
$3500 later, finally back on the road. I took it to a different shop for a second opinion. They spent 3 days looking at electronics and first thought it was the computer. Eventually nothing was found so I had them remove the transmission and poke around inside. It was diagnosed as the torque converter coming apart, sending debris back and damaging other internal parts. So this is the 2nd transmission rebuild in the truck at 155k miles. Hopefully there won't be any issues with it.

Unfortunately the warranty at the second shop is worse than the first. For a short time I thought of taking it back to the first shop, but the fee they would of charged for time spent on electronics by itself or looking inside was quite a bit. All of the diagnostic fees were waived, and the final price was within about $50 of each other, just a worse warranty. Say bye to the front and rear locker funds though.

Greenyota

Observer
Glad that the trucks finally back, but I also hate to see your locker funds go. I've been falling your build for a couple months, and those lockers would have taken it to the next level! Still a very clean build all around. Our trucks look a lot alike except mines green.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Glad that the trucks finally back, but I also hate to see your locker funds go. I've been falling your build for a couple months, and those lockers would have taken it to the next level! Still a very clean build all around. Our trucks look a lot alike except mines green.
Where in Tennessee are you located? I'm in Knoxville. It's pretty rare I have time to hit a trail, but if you are nearby let me know. There is an ExPo member in Maryville but we still haven't made a trail run yet.

Sure missed driving the truck. Certainly isn't a 70 series Land Cruiser or a Defender 110, but I enjoy it. Hopefully soon I can finish the canvas top for the bed rack and stick in some lockers. Oh and to add insult to injury, the starting battery has bite the bullet while waiting for the new transmission. Fortunately for me I have the 2nd battery until I can make it to Sears for a new Diehard. About 6 years isn't too bad on a Diehard Gold.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
They rebuilt the transmission for $3500? How much is a reman from Toyota?
Reason i ask is. Once they find metal in the pan. It's in the entire system. Rebuilding usually means new clutches. Not sure what they do with the valve body. Hope they took it apart and clean all the metal out. Otherwise it will just pump thru the system again.

Either way hope it was done right this time. Truck looks good. What roof rack is that? I'm looking to get one soon for my tundra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrianTN

Adventurer
They rebuilt the transmission for $3500? How much is a reman from Toyota?
Reason i ask is. Once they find metal in the pan. It's in the entire system. Rebuilding usually means new clutches. Not sure what they do with the valve body. Hope they took it apart and clean all the metal out. Otherwise it will just pump thru the system again.

Either way hope it was done right this time. Truck looks good. What roof rack is that? I'm looking to get one soon for my tundra.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The first time the transmission went a Toyota dealership in KY wanted $4600 I think. The first rebuild was around $2500, but most labor was waived as it was a family friend. This time the transmission was $3200, but I added $300 for the initial solenoid change. This included all new clutches, seals, torque converter, etc. as well as a complete flush. At least that's what they told me. Hope they are honest!

Thanks for the comments. The roof rack over the cab are Yakima Q towers. Over the bed is a rack I made that I will eventually add Yakima towers as well and stitch together a canvas top for it, similar to the old Canbacks.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Starting to gather the material to sew the canvas top. I'm looking at Sunbrella Marine in taupe or charcoal gray. Just cant decide on the color of the fabric or thread.
7.jpg

0.jpg

Here is black
black.jpg

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Very nice setup. My boss has a 2000 Tundra with 90K miles on it, still on original brakes and BATTERY! I keep telling him he needs to get a new truck and sell me that one.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Thanks. They are pretty good trucks.

I've been working on the canvas top lately. In a couple days I'm headed to Charleston with my girlfriend to visit some friends and camp a little.
IMG_4940.JPG

IMG_4939.JPG

I also made some bars to mount to the sides of the bed rack. This way I can mount stuff to it for easy reach when using the truck in the rough. I'll use the Fourtreks mounts I already have.

BrianTN

Adventurer
Bed rack cover in current form:
IMG_5771.JPG

IMG_5777.JPG

Just need to add the snaps along the bottom then finish the front and rear flaps.

On the right of the second picture you can see one of the accessory bars to mount tools, jack, etc to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77