My Journey

Yep the windshield really sucked......

Anyhow turns out we camped close to the trailhead for the Temperance River trail. With big storms in the forecast, we got an early start at the river's confluence with Lake Superior......

image.jpg

image.jpg

We hiked upstream with the thunderous sounds of the river tumbling through multiple rock gorges. I kept the dogs close with the leash as we marveled at the rock formations and admired multiple waterfalls. So different than what I would have expected in Minnesota......

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Eventually the cascading waterfalls ceased and the trail departed the river. The forest was silent and the contrast was stark. With darkening clouds, we reversed our tracks and returned to the shoreline of Lake Superior. Winds had increased and it was just too cold for me, so we hit the truck and drove south towards Minneapolis.

image.jpg

Last edited:
We continued south with plans for a few nights stay in Minneapolis to rest the back and meet a friend but we only made it as far as Duluth. A late start the following day got us to Rush City, a small town just north of Minneapolis. It was a cool little town but not much going on......

image.jpg

Woke up the following morning excited to get to Minneapolis and check into a hotel. For anybody that has read my blog over the years you know that this is very unusual but honestly I think I'm going to do more of this. Recently I read in Park Kitchens blog that he must be getting soft as the years have passed ( he bought an RV) and I guess I feel the same. I've been doing this for twelve years and I've definitely noticed a difference in my attitude. Like many others that post on this site, I was once proud to say that I was out for months and never stayed in a hotel nor a campground. I now find myself thinking that I'm proud of myself for still being out here, even if I'm not quite the tough guy that I once thought I was......

So it was off to the Mall of America ! How life has changed !! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I spent (3) nights in Minneapolis of which (2) were in a hotel, and (1) in the camper. I bathed in steaming hot baths trying to sooth my aging back. I ate at restaurants and did some shopping as well. After (50) days in the camper it was amazing and I loved every minute of it......

After Minneapolis we continued west, choosing to take Route 2 across Minnesota and into South Dakota. We made it to Benson, Minnesota and spent the night there. Of course we took long walks through town and I'm finding myself enjoying exploring these small towns.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

In the evening it was warm so we walked to Dairy Queen and splurged with an ice cream cone. It was fun to hang out with the locals and everybody gets on well with my dogs. My dogs have always been great ambassadors for me and opened so many doors and allowed me to meet many people throughout my travels......

image.jpg

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Woke up the following morning excited to get to Minneapolis and check into a hotel. For anybody that has read my blog over the years you know that this is very unusual but honestly I think I'm going to do more of this. Recently I read in Park Kitchens blog that he must be getting soft as the years have passed ( he bought an RV) and I guess I feel the same. I've been doing this for twelve years and I've definitely noticed a difference in my attitude. Like many others that post on this site, I was once proud to say that I was out for months and never stayed in a hotel nor a campground. I now find myself thinking that I'm proud of myself for still being out here, even if I'm not quite the tough guy that I once thought I was....

Jerry.....how true. Though I do not like staying in hotels at all I have been enjoying the Class B I recently purchased. I certainly won't be gettting rid of the Tacoma and Four Wheel Camper anytime soon as it gets me to the more remote sites. Each rig has their own merits. I've been on the road for months on end and avoided even paying for campgrounds but it sure is nice to have some creature comforts on occassion. I'm going to be hitting the road again soon and this time it will be in the Chinook. We'll see how it goes. I know I'll love the creature comforts but may miss the four wheeling ability I'll be giving up. On another note.....I need to PM you (don't want to hijack your thread) about some must see things where you're now at. I'm headed that way in early August. Going to do the UPI in Michigan and the Minnesota area. May even do the Sturgis Rally on the way out for some street photography opportunities. Your input would be appreciated. I'm attending something in Minneapolis so figured I'd extend the trip somewhat. After roaming around a bit I'm going back to ND to work the Sugar Beet Harvest. Should be an adventure! Be safe out there and keep posting. I'm following along until I can get back out there.

Park.....I've had great success with my rig. I'm sure people look at my camper and think it's just another campground RV but it's way more than that for me. I've been amazed at some of the places I've taken this truck camper.....mostly prior to ever posting here. I actually bent my Tork Lift tie downs in Montana doing some 4 wheeling with the truck / camper. Also the Jeep can get me to most places I need to go, and then there's the bikes and the boots. Anyhow PM when you feel like it. Can't wait for you to travel cause I love your blog and and your amazing photography.....

So after Benson, Minnesota, I drove about (20) miles west and stopped at a rest area along the Pomme de Terre River. This was what I would describe as a 5 star rest area. Plenty of shade and total solitude....nobody stopped here. I decided that I'd try an overnight stay.....turned out to be nothing less than perfect......

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't recall a single car pulling in my first day / night here, so the following day we hung around, relaxed, read, walked, etc. Just a typical day lazing around. I thought what the heck, I'll stay another night so we took the Jeep and drove to Appleton, Minnesota to get groceries. Just another small, cool town. Loved their single piece of town art......

image.jpg

I loved this spot so much that I spent (3) nights here. Like I said almost total solitude, the dogs loved the river, and my back got a bit more rest.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

It was time to go.....time to go west.....hitched the Jeep up, loaded the dogs into the truck.....just had to had to grab a cold bottle of water before I departed. As I exited the camper door, I slipped, fell backwards, and went into a free fall. My left forearm hit first on the trailer hitch, then my ribs.....my skull crashed onto the Jeep bumper. Instant pain everywhere and seconds later my head was pounding.....

Once I figured out that my injuries weren't life threatening or trip ending, my plans immediately changed. I drove south to Sioux Falls, S.D. My thoughts were it's best to be in a big city.....just in case you know.....

It was hot there. I mean really, really hot.....

image.jpg

I spent (3) days and (2) nights at the fairgrounds with the camper a/c running non stop. It's only the third time that I've ever used it. My thought about Sioux Falls would be that damn there's a lot of nice people here. Good to be in the Midwest again.....

The falls weren't so impressive.....for me anyhow.....

image.jpg

ClayH

Adventurer
Dang, Hope your injuries heal quickly. About that back, seek out a reputable chiropractor and get that taken care of. I see a chiro about once a month just for maintenance. Seen the same guy for past 30 years and he does wonders for me.

Hey Clay.....craziest thing is that my back quit hurting after the fall. Now I'm nursing a sore jaw and badly bruised ribs. Each day is a little better and I'd trade these pains for the back pains any day. So.....

After resting up in Sioux Falls, I got onto the interstate and drove west through searing hot temperatures. As I recall somewhere on that interstate that day it topped out at 106 degrees. I decided to take a long break in Wall, South Dakota. Not sure why I did that....I needed fuel and I was tired.....and it was soooo hot. Wall (Drug) is a huge tourist trap selling a bunch of junk that I doubt anybody really needs. I had visited once before.....lasting about 15 minutes.....left thinking what a waste of time. But this day I stayed a bit longer, wasted even more time, and found that I was in awe of the massive grain silos on the north side of town....

image.jpg

I continued west on the I interstate and since it was so hot I decided to head for the Bandlands National Park to see if I could snag a campsite with electricity. Turns out that I got the last spot that had electricity. So lucky.....we loved the a/c and woke up to much cooler temperatures. Finally a cold front had moved in and early morning temps were in the 60's. I enjoyed camping in the park.....and the views from my campsite were phenomenal.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Took the Jeep out in the evening to watch the sunset from up high.....

image.jpg

We did pretty good spotting game here. We saw deer & prairie dogs of course, several groups of big horn sheep, and a lone bobcat. Not bad for an overnight stay.....

image.jpg

Last edited:
As I was leaving the park I was still undecided where to go next. I was leaning towards Black Hills National Forest but at the last second I turned the other way and was headed for Devils Tower in Wyoming. So it was back on the interstate headed west. I decided to make a stop in Rapid City, South Dakota and that stop lasted (3) days and (2) nights. I found myself a quite spot in a vacant lot and hung out in the city. I've never done much city visiting but I'm finding that I actually can enjoy myself. I loved Rapid City.....I left with the impression that it's very progressive and clean.....

One evening in downtown they showed a movie in the plaza.....

image.jpg

I'm guessing that this old hotel was a landmark here.....

image.jpg

And this alley was completely painted with graffiti / street art. It was really cool and I think I got lucky when a brief shower passed by and lit things up a bit. Lots of people taking pictures here.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

But (2) nights were plenty and it was time to move west.....

Next stop.....Devil's Tower in eastern Wyoming. I decided to stay in the National Park campground again. The real downside for me is that I can't let the dogs run loose and I can't take them on the trails. But I'm finding that the people I'm meeting are good people and I'm enjoying the conversation.....

image.jpg

My view from the camper door the next morning.....

image.jpg

As you exit the campground you'll notice this piece of art. I don't recall exactly what it was about but it was special and spiritual (as best I can recall).....

image.jpg

I hiked the busy trail around Devil's Tower, was surprised at the number of out shape people I saw doing the same thing, and I hiked several other trails as well. It was a good visit.....

Last edited:
I forgot to mention my brief stop in Sturgis, South Dakota. I really don't care much for that town, and was reminded that I'm definitely not interested in being an old guy dressed in leathers and a bandana riding a big Harley. Just not my thing. Anyhow I only wanted mention this brief stop cause I wanted to post this picture of Montana with goggles. He seemed to love them and I wanted to get them but in the end I decided against it. I kicked myself in the butt all day for not buying those things. Montana spends most of the day with his head hanging out of the window.....they were perfect.....

image.jpg

Several years ago I hung out with some XP guys in Big Horn National Forest. It's beautiful there so I returned but took the southerly route (Route 16) across the mountain. It's a huge grade and it kicked my truck's butt. It overheated (3) times before I called it a day. I pulled onto a Forest Service road (Powder River) and camped not far off the highway.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

I assume this is the start of the Powder River. The Forest Service road ended here.....

image.jpg

The following morning I made it over the pass and spent another night in the forest at the the base of the Big Horn Mountains along Leigh Creek.

image.jpg

The creek was running strong, filled with the winter's snow melt. And it was ice cold, but not quite too cold for a few dips in the water. It's amazing how refreshing that ice cold water can be after a few days of traveling.....

image.jpg

We were surrounded by steep cliffs on both sides. This campsite being entirely different from the night near the summit.....

image.jpg

In the morning I did a (6) mile hike up the canyon and came across this cross which was set on a knoll overlooking the valley below. I wonder who / what was buried here and hope that my ashes end up in a place with similar views. It was beautiful.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

I decided to make a stop at the Chevy dealership in Riverton, Wyoming to see what they thought about the truck overheating. They thought I should get it checked out before going over the pass to Jackson so they hooked me up with a spot on their lot for the night with electricity and jumped right on it Saturday morning. These guys were great. The system checked out fine but the mechanic thought it might be the radiator fins clogged with dirt (2015 Alaska trip again). While he was cleaning things up I went to watch a competition at the local skate park.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

They had me out the door before lunch and only charged me $54. Like I said, great guys here.....Riverton was a cool town.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

I decided to take a test run on a fairly flat grade so I switched directions a bit and drove to Lander, Wyoming, about (25) miles away. I read in another blog here (thanks to Park Kitchings) that Lander had a free campground so I've been hanging out here in Lander. It's more of a park than it is a campground, but it works just fine for me.....

Last edited:

parkkitchings

Adventurer
I decided to take a test run on a fairly flat grade so I switched directions a bit and drove to Lander, Wyoming, about (25) miles away. I read in another blog here (thanks to Park Kitchens) that Lander had a free campground so I've been hanging out here in Lander. It's more of a park than it is a campground, but it works just fine for me.....

Glad you checked out the spot in Lander. I had a great time while there as it was free and I met some great people in the park as well as the brewery downtown. Was nice being able to walk to downtown from there. I had a spot right on the river. I'll check my maps and get back to you later if you're still in Lander. There is a road just outside of Lander that is a beautiful drive with some good free camping as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues