My Journey

Hanging out in around Jackson, Wyoming for (9) days now. In my last post I mentioned the hours that parking is prohibited in the RV lot for a reason. I've always stayed here in the past, always have been told be quiet and respectful, and nobody cares about it. But this year has been different. After (2) nights in the lot I was busted. Fortunately it was just a warning, but now staying overnight in town became a problem. Then I got busted because my Jeep isn't over 20' in length and was parked in the RV space ( even though it was sharing the same space as the camper). I was told to either attach it to the camper or I'd get a $70 ticket. Next I got a warning because Yukon was walking herself on the leash. She loves to walk with the leash in her mouth. And I got my last warning when I made a quick stop to take a phone call. Unfortunately I had pulled over into a bus loading stop. I had been there less than a minute when I was told to move on....

Not sure what's up in Jackson but this sign in the bathroom tells me that they're a bit out of control this year.....

image.jpg

I'm still loving Jackson.....dinner with friends, hikes in the national forests, drives through Grand Teton National Park, visit to Teton Village, and some shopping & good food in Jackson.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Driving the Jeep up the mountain into the forests.....

image.jpg

We've spotted some game but honestly have spent too much time in town.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

VicHanson

Adventurer
Jerry, The traditional Japanese toilet is a porcelain fixture mounted in the floor, you stand on it and squat over it to use it, there is no seat. Some Japanese, especially those who haven't traveled abroad before, will stand on the seat of our style toilet and then squat down on it rather than sitting on the seat. They don't like to sit on a seat where others have sat, it is "dirty".

Chet.....I think the answer to your question is yes.....

Vic.....what's up ? How are things and where are you these days ? Now that you mention the toilet thing, I recall the same when I was on that train across China headed for Tibet. I hated those things.

I'm still hanging out in Jackson.....twelve nights now. As I look back on my stay here, there really is only one guy that's been a pain in my ***. All the law enforcement officers here are great. The other parking enforcement personnel are great as well. I've been mixing it up a bit, staying in town on a quiet, side street and other nights driving south of town and staying along county roads.....

Sometimes I wonder what a dog thinks as Yukon jumps up and eats her meal at the table ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I find myself spending less time in town and am spending lots of time exploring around town. I finally hiked up the ski trail (Snow King) and had some nice views of Jackson.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yesterday we took a ride into Grand Teton National Park. I took my personal cleaning stuff along and grabbed a cheap, hot shower at the Climber's Ranch. That brought back some fond memories of climbing in the Tetons. I chatted with several young climbers and felt a bit envious. Maybe I shouldn't have.....

The views in that park are always amazing.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I'm not sure when I'll leave this area. The weather couldn't be better.....typically it's been upper 70's and very low humidity with enjoyable puffy, white clouds overhead. I see no reason to move on yet.....

image.jpg

Still hanging out in Jackson but that should be changing soon. Something I'm trying this year, since I'm homeless and full time in the camper, is to spend more time in one place. Over the years I've found that constantly moving can really be difficult and tiring. So my hope this year is that by moving slower I'll last longer. I guess time will tell when it comes to that. I'm just beginning my fourth month in the camper and I'm feeling pretty good so far.....

I've continued making day trips outside of Jackson, trying to explore something different each day. One day I drove through Kelly, into the mountains, and we did some hiking and swimming at Lower Slide Lake....

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was hopeful to see a pack of wolves after seeing this sign but no such luck on this day.....

image.jpg

I've been making daily trips to the ice cold and so clear Snake River to swim with my dogs. I prefer this to paying $7 and showering at the rec. center. The dogs love it and I do as well. The plan was to go south a bit and camp in Granite Creek Canyon near the waterfall and hot spring. But that's been changed since the canyon was closed due to a forest fire. As I type this Jackson is engulfed in smoke, I doubt it's even healthy to be here right now, it's that bad. The first picture is the smoke as seen from our swimming hole, then just a few more shots of the smoke filed skies .....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I'm thinking its time to head north to avoid the fires and the smoke.....

And so it was.....we drove north through Grand Tetons National Park and into Nelson D. Rockefeller Memorial Highway. Just prior to the entrance to Yellowstone National Park we hung a left onto Grassy Lake Road and got so lucky as to land one of the best free campsites in the entire area.....

image.jpg

There were are only (2) campsites in our small area, located right on the northern banks of the Snake River. Our neighbor, a single man traveling from Germany on a (3) month visa turned out to be a great guy.....

image.jpg

So for the past week we've been hanging out at the river, taking (2) or (3) swims in the river per day. The river is ice cold but it's well worth it as it's just so refreshing.....

image.jpg

As you can see from the last picture, the views from our campsite were quite remarkable. And the views from our swimming hole back to the campsite were just as remarkable.....

image.jpg

Just a short drive from our campsite are several easily accessible hot springs. I didn't bother take pictures of them, but I did grab one shot of the vista as I was relaxing in the pool....

image.jpg

One morning was up at sunrise with a hot cup of coffee when I was delighted to see a beautiful orange sky to the east as well as a full rainbow to the south. I swore at that moment that I would unpack my new camera and learn the basics of using it as I was so disappointed in the pictures I got from my iPhone. They really do no justice to an amazing morning scene.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

The dogs and I were in heaven here. After spending (2) weeks in Jackson, the beauty and solitude of the place seemed to be magnified. Often I thought to myself of how lucky I am to have this life of travel. Sometimes I wish my dogs could talk.....wouldn't it be great to know what they are thinking as well.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I've camped in this area many times in the past, but I don't recall ever coming at this time of year. The entire area is crawling with tourists and travelers from sunrise to sunset. Throughout the day numerous people would drive through our small area looking for a place to spend their night. The German traveler and I talked and we agreed that we'd share our spots with others, as it seemed like the right thing to do. But I'll admit that we were both picky about who could stay, and we set up parameters as to who would be allowed to share our campsites. One evening a Polish woman traveling with her (14) year old Black Lab. asked to stay and I agreed as I have a special place in my heart for old labs. The following morning (2) of her friends arrived and stayed with us as well. That same night a single woman traveling with (4) small children and a Golden Retriever joined our small group. It was amazing how we all got along so well. One day we all we went to the hot springs together, another day a picnic in the afternoon, swims in the river, and always together in the evening by the fireside. So funny how I looked for solitude but found so much pleasure with mankind.....

The family of five pitched their tent next to my camper.....

image.jpg

The three Polish ladies brought some amazing ethnic dishes and sausages (unfortunately I no longer consume meats) to the picnic....

image.jpg

The four Labs got along great, and of course each did their best with those sad Lab eyes begging for food.....

image.jpg

We saw a bit of wildlife during our stay. One morning deer were feeding along the river bank.....I also spotted (3) otters playing in the river and along the banks as well.....

image.jpg

I came here looking for solitude but I left with much more than that. I opened up my campsite to strangers and it appears that I've made some new friends. The German fella will be returning home soon but the family of five will continue to explore the world together. Their goal is Costa Rica for the winter.....my goal the same. We plan to stay in touch and possibly travel together at some point. But who knows where my travels will take me.....

image.jpg

All I really know is that I'm not ready to settle down again. Life is spoiling me at the moment and I'm so happy with the roads I've been down.....

image.jpg

Last edited:
"Across the sky the clouds move,
Across the fields, the wind,
...Across the mountain, far away
My home must be"

Herman Hesse

Next for us was passing through Yellowstone National Park. Now these are some roads that I was not excited to have to travel down but it was necessary so north we drove into the park. The German traveller had told me about a place where one could grab a shower while passing through the park so we gave it a try but we weren't successful. My search caused us to make a stop at Old Faithful. Wow, it's simply amazing the number of people that assemble together to watch that thing erupt.....

image.jpg

I find it a bit ironic how much I've come to dislike the park while millions come to visit every year. Anyhow, I grabbed a quick bite to eat before continuing north and we were out of the park by late afternoon. Since I'd only planned for a few nights along the Snake River, I was literally out of food. So one more stop at a grocery store in Gardinier, Montana before I stopped at a nice, desolate spot along the Yellowstone River. It was another great location to hang out.....with a flock of geese living on the river banks just below us.....

image.jpg

The first night a storm moved north from the park and brought us some magnificent skies with lightning, thunder, and rain.....

image.jpg

Temperatures had risen to 95 degrees earlier in the day so the storm brought winds and a drop of 20 degrees in temperatures. We were so thankful for that and the changing skies.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

This picture was taken as the storm moved over the camper.....

image.jpg

And a few random sky shots.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Today is my one hundredth day living homeless.....

Last edited:
After the Yellowstone River, I continued north and then west into Bozeman, Montana. Thursday night was spent at Music on Main Street. I love this event where the town closes the street down and has a live band with vendors for the evening. One noticeable change this year was that dogs were banned. That sucked a little but you go with the flow.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

My plan was to stay at the local Walmart and wait for some friends to return to town. I always find it interesting to see the rigs that people are living in. The first picture shows a rig which houses a family of four (2 adults & 2 teenagers) and their dog. The second one was a middle aged guy with a big gut.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Then there was the couple that had this rig. I found it to be rather odd.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

So my plan to stay at Walmart was thwarted by an over aggressive management team from Walmart. I got a knock on my door and the bottom line was that I was told "this isn't a KOA so move on". Wow what a surprise that was. Of all the Walmarts that I've stayed at, this one has always been the most lax. I've seen tents set up here, people camped all over the place. Oh well.....I now spend my nights outside of town and the days hanging out in town. I'm enjoying all the great places to eat out here and love walking the streets of Bozeman. What an awesome town !

Great park in town to hang out at.....

image.jpg

SDSteve.....thank you.....

dtimms.....actually getting kicked out of Walmart turned out to be the best thing that could have happened. I was already at the point of hating it there and I only stayed cause it was easy. I've spent the past week sleeping at a trailhead east of town. In the mornings I return to Bozeman and then back to the trailhead once it gets dark.....

The first picture is my overnight spot next to the railroad tracks. Looks bad but it's not too bad. On the opposite of the camper is a creek and the mountains. It works just fine.....

image.jpg

This train passed by the site one day. The entire train consisted of propellers for windmills. I've seen these often on tractor trailers but never an entire train load.....

image.jpg

I'm staying busy in Bozeman visiting friends, doing some shopping at the great stores on Main Street, and eating out lots. I found a cool cemetery next to the park on the east side of town. It's perfect for logging my miles on my Fitbit.....

image.jpg

It really is interesting to check out all the tombstones. It never occurred to me that tombstones change styles just like clothes or most anything else. This is one that caught my eye.....

image.jpg

And this one got me thinking about how amazing some people really are.....to make the ultimate sacrifice for our country. I realize that I don't think enough about that and I need to feel more appreciation for the people that serve.....

image.jpg

Every evening we head over to this lake on the west side of town. The dogs get (30) minutes of swimming in, and then I head over to the free, ice cold outdoor shower. It's another great park to hang out at.....

image.jpg

This weekend Bozeman is having the Sweet Pea Festival at the park on the east end of town. I'm told that it's the largest festival of the year. I was out with a friend all day Thursday and came back to find my parking spot marked. I think they were nervous that I might try to camp there and spoil their plans for the festival (I guess they'd just tow me actually).....

image.jpg

Thinking about heading back to the Yellowstone River for a few days.....

Last edited:
"The real voyager of discovery does not consist in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes."

Marcel Proust, A la Recherche du temps perdu

Thanks Chet.....that picture might make you think that I'm up in the mountains somewhere but that lake is surrounded by a shopping mall, a hardware store, and a housing development.....

So just a quick update to my blog.....I've mostly been hanging out in Bozeman and spending my nights at the trailhead. I made a short trip east to visit Livingston, Montana. I'm not a big fan of that town but it's a nice change I guess. It's a much slower paced town than Bozeman and they haven't been invaded by all the big box users yet, as has happened in Bozeman.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

I also made it into the national forest and hung out in the woods for a bit. Once again, nice change of scenery and good to get back into the woods.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

The truck's odometer finally flipped 200,000 miles but that's not the real mileage. I'd guess it's closer 210,000 or maybe even a bit more than that.....

image.jpg

I've so much enjoyed the slow pace of this year's travels. I'm now on my eleventh book....."The Man Who Quit Money" by Mark Sundeen.....very enjoyable.....one of those books that makes you step back and reevaluate your life.....

So here I am now into my fifth month of living in the camper and I'm still hanging out in and around Bozeman, Montana. I've really fallen into a routine here.....a routine that I'm thoroughly enjoying for the time being. Each morning I awake at the trailhead, about (8) miles outside of Bozeman. I have my coffee and the dogs and I can hit the trail up into the forest. I might follow that up with a good book.....

image.jpg

Then we drive through Bozeman Pass and into town where we walk downtown, do some shopping, get lunch or dinner, and we never miss a day at the lake for a cool swim and a cold shower.....

image.jpg

Lately it's really been less about travel and more about hanging out in a different town. Today was pretty cool when they shut down Main Street and had a car show.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

There were lots of great cars and trucks to drool over but my favorite was this beefed up Ford truck expedition style.....

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had a chance to speak with the builders of this rig.....2 very nice, well informed guys. They'll be building these rigs for sale and I sure wish I had plans to travel to Africa cause I'd certainly consider purchasing one. Looked like top notch quality to me and the builders are very passionate about their work. You can check them out at aero-continental.com.

I've begun to notice a slight change in the color of the leaves along the creek at my campsite. I'm guessing that fall is not too far off in Montana. I may be back on the road soon.....maybe tomorrow.....who knows.....

image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333