My license (and personal information) all over the internet?!

zuren

Adventurer
I wanted to get other amateur license holders thoughts on something I sort of knew about, but just discovered it is widespread and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I got my ham license several years ago with the mindset that it was going to be a communications tool when I'm in remote, backcountry areas. I had, and continue to have, zero interest into getting into the "hobby" or culture of ham radio. I'm a fairly private person who doesn't have much to say to most people on a good day, so hitting the air waves to talk to anyone who will listen isn't a good fit for my personality or interests.

I have always known that a FCC license was public record but what I have recently discovered has unnerved me a little. It seems that sites like FCCBulletin, QRZCP.com, HamCall.net, etc. are republishing license holder information. I have no relationship with these sites, so having my name, call sign, and address splattered all over these sites without my consent has me wondering a couple things:

1. Why do this? If someone wants info on a person's FCC license, they can go to the FCC site. It seems that the hams running these sites feel they are performing some sort of public service. Unless I'm missing the point, it feels like an invasion of privacy with a lot of duplicated effort.
2. In a day and age of identity theft and everyone trying to protect their personal information, plastering peoples names and addresses online for public consumption seems irresponsible.

Is there some greater benefit I'm not seeing here? Some of these sites have a mechanism for you to request that your info be removed. I'm on the verge of doing just that, but wanted to get a sense of what others thought.

If you are a new ham or not sure what I'm talking about, do a Google search for your call sign and you'll see what I'm talking about. Some ham forums suggest that you get a PO Box for your address you submit to the FCC if privacy/OPSEC is a concern. Seems ridiculous to me that you have to go to such lengths and expense to keep your info from ending up all over the internet.

Thanks!

Superduty

Adventurer
I feel similarly. I'm not even sure why this stuff needs to be public beyond a licensee's first and last name. However I was aware of that before signing up, so I can't complain much at this point.

gary in ohio

Explorer
THe FCC records are public as you noted, The other sites are making use of those public records so I see no issues. Be it your listed one or multiple sites your data is still out there.
Due note your address of record doesnt need to be where you live, just were you can get mail. If your really concerned then get a PO box and send everything there.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
That is why I don't plaster my callsign all over the place like some folks. I shake my head at people who put it in their forum signatures, I mean literally just put your legal name and address in there, same thing. I guess for the portion of folks who don't realize that it's fine.

Only way you will get my callsign from me it is to hear me on the radio or from some other aspect of ham where I might use it. To me that isn't so bad, while I'm not too keen on that info being out there, it's not terribly enlightening, finding and remembering my full name is going to be a lot easier than getting and retaining my callsign.

I don't know if it has been changed or not, I remember it was a big stink as well, but my name and address is probably out there for my drone UAS registration, which I did find sort of silly as that was more of a registration thing, had it been a full blown UAS Pilot license (with commercial use privileges) maybe publish it, but not because the FAA just wanted $5.

Name and address really only do anyone good in context, you have to put pieces together to confirm that the real name actually matches the person you are looking for. Names are surprisingly not unique, especially if you have any combo of a common first and sir name. There are probably half a dozen or more people running around the US with my name, one I think is a criminal of some sort, which didn't look so great when I Googled myself, but I think it at least had a photo.

True though, if random persons on the internet get your info they can be harassing in various ways depending on how unstable they are.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The reason your address is public information is the same reason a TV or commercial radio station has a physical address, to give the FCC and other users a way to get in touch with you to deal with interference you might be causing, abuse of your authority, etc. It's also a way for other hams to find you to send QSL cards. It doesn't bother me that my call sign has some public data available.

Honestly, it's nothing beyond what you can find in a phone book (I bet you hated those, too) or the county assessor's website (which to me is worse since it tells people how much you paid for your house!). Your call sign info isn't like making available your banking records or tax returns, it's just an address. Even if the FCC didn't publish it driving around neighborhoods noting which trucks and houses have antennas would pretty much give you the exact same information.

So many people complain about this and to me it's just another reason that we as hams probably should have pushed harder for GRMS to be adopted instead. But I don't recall anyone sending me a poll to see if I thought offering the hobby of amateur radio to 4x4 enthusiasts was going to be such a headache.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Names are surprisingly not unique, especially if you have any combo of a common first and sir name. There are probably half a dozen or more people running around the US with my name, one I think is a criminal of some sort, which didn't look so great when I Googled myself, but I think it at least had a photo.
Heh, according to the White Pages (remember those?) website, there are 121 people with my name in my state alone... not too worried about it.

pluton

Adventurer
There's no need to look up the FCC listings for amateur licensees when a few minutes of Googling will get you just about anyone's address and phone number, and more. Public records have been digitized, and are freely available. I have a friend in San Francisco that maintains an extremely low profile, identity-wise. I found his address, apartment number, and phone number in about 5 minutes.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
It sucks for sure and its not easy or inexpensive to keep personal sensitive info better hidden. P.O. boxes & shell companies are not free.
Another irritation, My professional licenses info is not posted for the public. (at least yay for that...) Thats only because its valuable. So the State sells it.
I personally know in Colorado, Utah and Wyoming professional engineering, surveyor and architecture licensure information is public. At least name, address, license number and in the case of Utah your alma mater and graduation dates.

Last edited:

wirenut

Adventurer
Every piece of information you can think of it out there on the internet and available with just a little snooping. It doesn't matter if you have an amateur radio call sign or not. Privacy is a myth these days.
I own an electrical contracting business, my electrical license, address, etc. is public information in multiple states. This includes my business name and address. My business license is searchable in government data bases. My phone number and business address appear on google maps searches even though I've never requested Google put it there or paid them a dime.
Anyone that wants to can search your name, find an address, then look at your house from above on Google Earth.
What's the point? You'd better not do anything you're trying to hide these days. Nothing is hidden. Amateur radio license or no.
I've had my call sign on my license plate for 25 years. It hasn't been a problem yet.

Mtn Mike

Observer
Kudos to anyone that's managed to structure a modern life around anonymity. However, I think privacy is an illusion for many of us in today's world.

In addition to my ham radio license, I hold several professional licenses and certifications that require that my name, address, and other information be listed on public databases. There's no question that public data will be mined and exploited.

Probably the best you can do is to protect your home address by listing a PO box, and protect your home/cell phone number by listing a business number on all public databases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78