My New American Built Adrenalin Rush - Preview and Review

jonharis

Jonathan, again thanks for your info in my other thread. I'm already registered for the Expo so I really look forward to touching all of them there. I tend to agree if it was just me I would be leaning towards AT but from everything I've learned so far it sounds like the Adrenalin may be a perfect fit. I knew about not being able to use larger tires but your post give me hope since my truck runs 285/70/17 which are 32.7" and I would really love the match them on the trailer.

You briefly touched on a few minor issus in your thread (post 31, 118) but could you expand in more detail of what you would want changed / modified if you were buying today? A few things I'm thinking about from never seeing one in person but you would have better insight:

Anti slip pad under the bed. Tie downs up top for a ATV. Integrated pull out ramps. More outlets. Swing Out rear spare tire - I've seen somewhere a spare that also turns sideways to become a table! Like you I plan of keeping my ARB 50 Fridge in the truck but having the option of keeping it in the trailer would be nice.

What kind of life are you getting out of your trailer battery? I'm assuming that its charging while driving, if so how?

Sorry for the delay. I've been extra busy and have been neglecting getting back to people on several threads. Apologies.

With regards to tires. Ric has stated that he does not want to do custom orders or work. That said I think if you are willing to work with him, he will be willing to work with you. he is able to source different hubs and changing the ride height is only a matter of adjusting the A arms. You will probably pay for it but if it's what you want, I think anything is possible. He's the guy to talk to about it though.

The bed is fine as is. There is zero movement. We added a memory foam topper (.75-1") for more comfort and it did not negatively affect closing the trailer.

Tie-Downs/Integrated Ramp: Tie Downs could be easily added. I never thought of integrated ramps but that's an awesome idea. I would love to see it implemented.

More outlets: I too wish there were more. As delivered, the camper only has 2 USB outlets inside. I would like to see several internal and external outlets standard.

The new design (2013) has a swingout tire carrier that turns into a table. I personally don't like it and am glad I have the non swingout version. Its cleaner and more versatile and I still have a full size spare. I just bring a table which I can set up anywhere.

You could easily install a lot of makes/models of refrigerators in the front box if you wanted to with minimal work to provide a mounting solution.

Thanks. I'll try to keep track of things a little more closely for a while. Cheers!

FJRanger

I like getting lost...
What a great trailer... maybe/hopefully sometime in the future I'll be speaking with Ric. Just what to do with my current trailer and the class C my wife wanted:-/

jonharis

1 Year Update

I've said most of what I have to say in the previous pages. I'm a year and nearly 50 nights in on the camper with 6 more coming up next week for Cruise Moab. My opinion of the camper, it's functionality and ability is that it has lived up to and blew the wheels off my expectations. I've had it on some of the most difficult trails that I've ever been on and it has never had a hickup, never had a break down and never caused frustration. In the year of towing it in more nasty situations than most I have had the following issues, All due to the way I drive it, ans all easily correctable.

Jocky Wheel: The handle on the jocky wheel broke off, and the tire got bent due to hitting a rock. I am replacing the wheel and mounting it inside of the frame rail where it will be more protected.

e-brake cable eyelet: I broke one of these off by hitting a rock. Ric kindly drilled, re-tapped and re-installed a new one. Problem Solved.

Freeze: It's not a camper that you want to keep water in in the winter. on the San Rafael Swell trip, evening temps dropped to ~10 degrees F, freezing the water in the lines and pump. It did this for three nights and no permanent damage was done to the faucets or pump. If camping in very cold weather, empty the lines and carry water in the vehicle. This isn't a shortcoming of the camper, just a fact of life with cold weather camping.

Slow leak from an air-bag: The drivers side developed a slow leak (noticeable after 2-3 days of sitting) in the airbag system, some soapy water an a few minutes revealed a loose connector that was resolved in minutes.

That's it. Those are the only issues I have had. It truly has been one of the camping items I think about least when getting ready for a trip. Each time I take it out, I get perma-grin on the trail.

I had the opportunity to speak with Ric recently and look at his current iteration of the camper. It has been an evolutionary improvement over the years and he is tailoring this model to the US market as well as export back to AU. The things that work have stayed the same, the things that needed minor improvement have been improved. I didn't get pics but here are some of the changes.

Front Storage: A Large, single front box replaces the double boxes that my camper has. This provides a little more versatility.

Better propane mount.

Swingout rear tire carrier: This is a pretty awesome piece of design work. In addition to providing the camper with better ballance and less toungue weight, the carrier now doubles as a table. When swung out, the tire rotates 90 degrees and a table top attaches to the top. It's faster than setting up my folding table and one less thing to carry. Also if the trailer is level, the table is level so there's no messing with adjusting legs. I'd still carry a table for my big outings but for weekend trips this looks perfect.

Lighter overall weight: replacing some of the plywood bed support with aluminum and modifying the front box has reduced the weight by nearly 100 lbs.

Larger Compressor: the airbag comressor is now larger.

More power options: there are more USB and 12V outlets inside and out.

Latches: the black plastic latches would let a little water in when pressure washing. The new latches are metal and completely water proof.

Modular control panel: The control panel is now in a drawer that can easily be removed from the camper quickly and completely. This makes working on electrical much easier.

Other than that, the bones of the camper are the same, the canvas is still the same heavy duty high quality. The frame is nearly identical, the body is the same, the kitchen is the same and the suspension is the same. I am considering upgrading to a new model but at the very early stages of that process....so there may be one on the market at a reduced rate.....

The only things I've added to the camper to make it beeter for our needs were the BFG ATs in a 31" size. The camper will actually accomodate 255/85R16s (33s) and that will likely be the next add on. I also use a Big Buddy Heater which has been remarkable. When it was 10 degrees outside, the interior temp was in the 50s with the heater on high. I get about 3-4 nights burn on a 20lb tank in cold weather.

I also added aDiscobed, camo-bed bunk cot in the Large size for the girls. It fits PERFECT on about 1/3 of the floor space of the camper making for true 4 person camping ability. Plenty big for my 6'2" and 220lb self too. I'll try to get pics up soon.

On to the pics, the real reason you guys are looking at the thread!

Far Beyond Swell. This annual gathering of Book Cliff Cruiser members was the first big test of the campers ability. The long miles, challenging terrain and cold nights tested man and machine.

Nice breakfast in the works.

Just having fun.

Lockhart Basin

Unfortunately, the most challenging part of the trail was dark.

This is white wash, a slickrock section. The integrated electric brakes help tremendously with control of the camper on steep spots like this. I'm using a Tekonsha Voyager which was recommended to me over other, sometimes more expensive controllers for off-road use. I have been 100% happy with it's control and adjustability.

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Jonathan, awesome update. The Adrenalin reminds me of my old Kimberley Kamper. Very nice set up. I'm glad it has worked out so well for you and your family. Looks like you definitely keep it well exercised. :wings:

TheThom

Adventurer
Looks great! On another note, I read through a family's overlanding write-up and they referenced "Jon H" being a pretty good Samaritan and helping them get their rig running by lending out his garage and tools. Good dude. Nice to see people like that on this forum.

If you decide to give that one away or have a raffle, let me know. :)

jonharis

Thanks. That was a great family and we wish they could have stuck around for a day. I hope to run into them again someday. I have not run across that thread, gotta link?

hoser

Explorer
Jon, thanks for the update. Looks like the trailer has proven to be a great investment for you. What are your thoughts on your SMEV/Dometic Stove. Is the output adequate for outdoor usage?

jonharis

I'm liking the Dometic Stove thus far. At "normal" altitudes, 4000-5000ft it boils water very quickly and more importantly, has very good simmer control. I've used it at about 9500' with success. Took much longer to light and to boil water but still did the job. The highest spots I regularly visit are between 10K and 11Kft. It will be interesting to see if it will still boil water at those altitudes easily.

The only change I would like would be to have a stainless steel cover/windscreen with side support (think Partner Steel). When open, a strong gust could easily push the glass down on the cook-top.

Link to the stove stats.
http://www.dometic.com/enie/International/Site/Caravan/Cookers/Products/?productdataid=90588

Are the Mr. Heater 3-4 day numbers based on having it running all night? And how did you run the propane line, did you leave the tank in the front box or move it outside the tent?

jonharis

3-4 days is running it at a mix of Medium to High output all night for 10-12 hours each night. I expect high would burn through a tank in 2 nights at that rate, medium 4-5 nights and low, 5-6 nights. I initially did not run it all night but feel comfortable doing so now. I leave the door near it unzipped a bit and unzip a window 6-12" enough for ventilation but not enough to get drafty.

Currently I am running the Mr. Buddy quick connect line to the 20lb propane tank which I place on the ground outside of the camper. Eventually I would like to plumb in a hard-line and a disconnect so that I can run directly off the tank in the front box and plumb the hose in at to the bed support.

I originally was going to install a Webasto or Espar but cost was a factor. I like that I can use the Mr. Buddy in the garage too. It also doesn't need any power source.

Parts:
Mr Heater. Big Buddy
Mr. Heater Quick Connect Hose

Last edited:

TheThom

Adventurer
... I initially did not run it all night but feel comfortable doing so now. I leave the door near it unzipped a bit and unzip a window 6-12" enough for ventilation but not enough to get drafty.

We have almost the exact same heater setup. Glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about running it all night...

I'm moving back to Colorado next summer. Have you had any issues with the heater not working at altitude due to the O2 sensor?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk