My new LJ!

Hello all!

I found a Wrangler last Tuesday the 9th. It's a 2005 Wrangler LJ Unlimited, 4WD automatic, certified 1-owner with only 22,000 miles on it. It's silver with a black top. I wanted a manual transmission, but I had to consider that this is an LJ with more room than the TJ and a longer wheelbase for more towing. MAYBE I can consider an auto-manual conversion years down the road. This morning, I ran across some postings here and elsewhere pointing out electrical problems with the more recent JK models (2007-2008) and researched it further on the open recalls. I am not comfortable with buying such a recent vintage at this point in time. I have now driven both the JK and the LJ, so I feel like the LJ is a more basic vehicle to me than the JK with proven reliability. 22,000 miles!

That said, learning from the lessons on my previous car purchase, I did several things. I brought someone with me knowledgeable about cars (he's had CJs, Wranglers, and now has a Liberty for several years). He and I checked a lot of things. I smelled the AC REAL good (I was checking the jeep out when it was being cleaned, the carpets completely out and the detailer sitting in the rear seat and cleaning everything), sniffing for signs of dead animals, odd smells, which is unfortunately a common problem with the Honda CR-Vs (there's a dead animal smell in there when you first turn on the AC, and whatever the stuff is, it gets into your hair, so you smell that stuff in your hair in the first 30 minutes after getting out of the car).

I didn't want to tell anybody in my family this, but there is quite a bit of rust underneath the CR-V, which I believe comes from having been used in Vermont, and some body parts have rust on them, like bottom door edges, around the gas cap, etc. I went looking for that on the LJ body. Not a one, not even inside where it's covered up by carpet. I got under the Jeep on a cloth and looked real closely for rust and physical damage. NOTHING, other than the drive shafts looking rusted on the surface... No frame rust or bottom-of-body rust, either. It was barely dirty (I know because I got up on the step and looked at the hard top, and it was not cleaned, so they had not washed the Jeep yet. I was surprised! My friend popped open the hood for me and looked in there. Everything seemed to be in good shape. Carfax confirmed that the car is a Texas car, even local to Houston only, having been registered here every year. Of course, I realize that the previous owner could have driven it out of state several times, even during the winter, but I saw no rust damage as mentioned before, other than the driveshafts. The paint is in gorgeous shape! Like it was brand new!

Doors closed solid, and I drove the Jeep! It felt like a truck, just like it should. If anything, it seemed to have a softer, bouncing around feeling, very unlike the CR-V that jars around and is rough. I crossed a low area right in front of the dealership, and the Jeep went right over it. I didn't feel the individual cracks and holes where the road meets the steep driveway leading into the dealership, nor did I feel that jarring bump when you hit the bottom of a V. Anyhow, the dealer, myself, and my friend went together, and he didn't hear any unusual noises like wind leaks, transmission problems, steering problems, axle problems, that sort of thing. It just appears to be a Jeep that was garaged and maintained well, no leaks under the Jeep. It seems to be a really good find for the price, somewhat under NADA values.

I accepted it and signed the papers that afternoon! They loaned me a Jeep Patriot to drive home for the evening. OMFG... What a long dashboard! The windshield is so far out from you, it feels like you're driving an amphibious car with a long bow in front of you! All that plastic! And it shifts crazy too!

When I picked up the Jeep, it was a great drive home! I've got cruise control which helps while I get used to the vehicle. I have to take care of some minor details during this shakedown period.

The Wrangler is so much better than the CR-V. It's so heavy, that the suspension responds slowly to all the bumps, holes, and cracks in the road. In the CR-V, you feel EVERYTHING. I just love it. I can barely feel the 4-speed tranny shift gears, because I keep it under 2,000 RPMs when I speed up. "I'm driving a truck. Go around me if you're in a hurry!" People will also cut me off because they know they can move faster than I can.

So simple. Manual mirrors, windows, and locks all around, yet it has the engine immobilizer for basic security. I don't have to hit a remote anymore... The dash layout is a lot better than I imagined it to be from the photos I've seen online. It does not have much depth from the firewall towards me. I have the sense that I'm "right there," close to the action where I can see what's happening. The other thing about visibility that I found on the highway is the hard top windows are HUGE! I can actually see out of the thing and not have to imply "sufficiently that something is probably not there before I make my lane change." WOW!

I am just simply happier with the Jeep. Even though I pay an extra $15 a month for the Jeep, it is peace of mind to know I have something more capable and is easier to maintain, use, and fix. Not to mention a HUGE community in the Jeep forums. I even joined up with Houston Jeep People recently, picked up the Jeep, and the next day I went to my first meetup with them! It was great! It would take months to plan an outing with the CR-V group and was just a COMPLETELY different group of people whom I didn't mesh well with.

Attachments

• jeep-front.jpg
    jeep-front.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 34
  • jeep-left-open.jpg
    jeep-left-open.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 42
  • jeep-rear-open.jpg
    jeep-rear-open.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

LowBudget

GPS Man
Very nice, I have an '06 LJ. One of the last 3 on the lot making room for the new XJ's. Very happy with mine. I have 53k on mine at the moment. 3.5" lift and 33" BFG A/T's. Definitely worth having the extra length. Mine is auto as well.
Glad to see another LJ.

Last edited:

wardrow

Adventurer
I take it this is your first Jeep. Congrats and PS, you are now poor. J ust E mpty E very P ocket You will either love this thing for years to come or start hating it soon. Word of advise from a JEEP-aholic, The more that you do to your jeep ie like lifts, suspensions the more that you end up having to do. So drive the piss out of it and think carefully before upgrading things as it often leads to a cascading effect of things that will take more where and tear. Good luck and remember, It is always more cost effective in the long run to buy the right parts that may cost more now, than to keep replacing crap down the road.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Awesome find! I have an 06 LJ with 22,XXX miles on it currently. Everyone loves the LJ, its a rare Jeep now.

Dogmann

Observer
New guy here, on my 2nd Jeep Cherokee and now looking for a LJ. I think they are the best! 4.0 engine , dana rear and extra room. Good luck!

bob91yj

Resident **************
I sure wish mine worked as well as yours does! Congrats, we love our '05.

2011bajaextravaganza257.jpg

voodoojk

Adventurer
congrats on the LJ. Prob my favorite jeep.

Just to clarify...the jk has been out for 6 years now so its not really a new model anymore and guys have well over 100K in miles. A lot of them are already selling and buying thier second JK. And if you ever get that smell in your A/C you mentioned in the crv...its just mildew in the A/C system. Spray some lysol or frigi fresh in the vents and air intake and fixes it right up! Well, unless you do have dead animals in it then thats what you smell! ( it happens..i work for a dealership)

Enjoy your new addiction!

I take it this is your first Jeep. Congrats and PS, you are now poor. J ust E mpty E very P ocket You will either love this thing for years to come or start hating it soon. Word of advise from a JEEP-aholic, The more that you do to your jeep ie like lifts, suspensions the more that you end up having to do.

Yes, it is my first Jeep. I understand. I want to keep the Jeep like it is at this time. In fact, I don't think I want to build up either vehicle (Scout II) for a long time. I have enough on my plate as far as my "transportation budget goes." I would like the Jeep for the long trips and the Scout for local camping trips. Later, when I know I can trust the Scout more, I may take it on the longer trips. I'd prefer to be able to take trips rather than sit at home because I can't afford to go anywhere. About the only thing I've done with the Scout is a transmission swap, add in a transfer case, and change out axles. I just love them the way they are now.

What a clean starting point!

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

VERY CLEAN! In fact, the General Manager at the dealership shop joked that he wanted to buy my LJ, and I replied, "Can you find me another one just like it, but manual transmission?" In other words, no deal.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Yes, it is my first Jeep. I understand. I want to keep the Jeep like it is at this time. In fact, I don't think I want to build up either vehicle (Scout II) for a long time. I have enough on my plate as far as my "transportation budget goes." I would like the Jeep for the long trips and the Scout for local camping trips. Later, when I know I can trust the Scout more, I may take it on the longer trips. I'd prefer to be able to take trips rather than sit at home because I can't afford to go anywhere. About the only thing I've done with the Scout is a transmission swap, add in a transfer case, and change out axles. I just love them the way they are now.

That's one of the best answers I've ever seen from a new Jeep owner! Get out there and use your new rig the way you want to. Find out what it doesn't do that you want it to and build it to meet those needs, not what someone else thinks you should do to it!

That's one of the best answers I've ever seen from a new Jeep owner! Get out there and use your new rig the way you want to. Find out what it doesn't do that you want it to and build it to meet those needs, not what someone else thinks you should do to it!

Thanks! What I have planned for it is going to require less than what the Jeep is built for at this time. If friends say, "Well, to go on this trip, we'll require that you have this, that, the other thing (adding extra weight to the LJ)," I'll say, "Let me know when you have a 'greenlaning' trip coming up over known well-maintained forestry or ranch roads. I'm not out to notch conquests on my purse straps and be rough with my Jeep. I'm out to have a good time with people and get away from the city." There are already several trips I won't go on because I just don't feel comfortable being towed home with a stripped rear axle or having to explain to my insurance company why I have damage to my side AND hard top. Never mind the proper recovery gear on it. For most people who can afford to do that, money seems to grow in a backyard full of trees. Money only seems to grow on a spindly bush in a pot for me, so I have to take care of what I have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy