My personal journey into the expedition lifestyle

lostride

Growing up my dad had taken my two sisters and I on "expeditions" to a small town in the north-west of Victoria's wheat belt called Pyramid Hill, where most of our ancestors are buried apparently and a few were actually still above ground at that time.

We camped in a rather large canvas tent with stretchers; I will always remember that smell; sweet musty canvas and the chortle of the Australian magpie at dawn; a powerful and everlasting sensation that is as vivid in my mind today, almost 40 years later.

After spending the last 20 years living in Canada, I have returned to my native Australia with a very fresh perspective and an enthusiasm for all that Australia has to offer. In my time in Canada I owned 3 Jeeps (among other things!), 2 XJ's and the last was the interesting ZJ 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee. I never really went on any expeditions so to speak in Canada, but as many will be aware, just driving in Ottawa in winter is quite the experience.

Today I am fortunate to be living and working in the Cairns area of Far North Queensland in Australia's wet tropics on the Great Barrier Reef. This region is a paradise and 'must do' on every travellers list. I am also fortunate to work for a reef tour operator with several dive boats including a liveaboard. My work is office bound however, with getaways to the reef for a few days at a time about every month or so. I am new to the sport of scuba diving and i have to say that if you haven't tried it you are missing out on one of the most incredible environments our wonderful planet has to offer!

My plan is now to fully engage myself in a life of adventure and exploration, enjoying our spectacular environment with friends new and old and with my grandsons as they grow.

I would like to share this experience and this journey and now is a good time to start, with the proverbial first step of a thousand miles, so here goes:

I live in a resort in the small village of Palm Cove in Far North Queensland about 25 minutes drive north of the main destination city of Cairns. Palm Cove is situated on a beautiful beach with two picturesque islands just off-shore. At the northern end of the beach there is the "world's most expensive fishing platform" the Palm Cove Jetty. The Jetty sees very little boat traffic as far as I can tell but is a great place to fish. Large sharks, Spanish Mackeral and Barramundi are the big boys here.

For the first 6 months I caught the bus into my office in Cairns most days and occasionally working from home. In that time I thought about the life I was creating here and of course, what type of vehicle I aspired to own. Everyday on that long 45 minute journey into the city i stared out the window at the incredible array of 4WD vehicles that dominate the roads here. Australia is the home of ARB and many equipment outfitters for off-road vehicles. Australia has also become a nation of "Grey Nomads" it seems, with all that retirement money sunk into very flashy rigs with even flashier caravans (trailers).

Australia is dominated by the ubiquitous Toyota Land Cruiser and other new ones I haven't heard of in Canada; the Prado (sounds like a ladies fashion accessory to me) and the even odder named Kluger; where do they get these names from? Anyway, the first 4WD I owned when I originally lived here back in the eighties was a 1976 SWB soft top Landcruiser 3 speed; these new fangled ones just didn't seem that, um cool. There are a few Jeeps here but they seemed to look a bit out of place and bit light for Australian conditions (ok, sorry Jeep people! my 1995 XJ flooded the cabin in the slightest rain, never mind crossing a creek here! I do love Jeeps though!)

So what has a ladder chassis, heavy construction, has "legend" status, diesel engine (petrol is $1.30 here, the 5.9 Lt GCL would be a nightmare to run here!) is extremely comfortable, can do amazing things if driven correctly and, finally, has a name that means business instead of.. well you know.. Prado? what is that?? (I am sure they are very capable machines, I just can't say "Prado" without ******** :) no offense intended Prado owners!...

I found the beginning bones of what I hope will be the basis of my adventures and Discovery(s) vehicle; yeah she is a Land Rover Discovery 2003 with a TD5 turbo diesel, "Platinum Edition" meaning she has some cool extra's similar to the G4 vehicles of that year. She has high miles (245,000 Km) and with that a lot of maintenance has been done and all the wobbly Land Rover bits have already fallen of and been replaced or stuck back on a little more securely, although she brought with her the "3 Amigos", Disco people will know what they are...

So my first weekend I headed straight outback, west of Palm Cove, over the Range and into the "outback" to Chillagoe a former mining town now famous for beautiful marble that rivals that from Italy and also for many caves.

I hope to be able to document the transformation of my vehicle and the adventures along the way! thanks for reading this if you got this far!

Good luck to you all and travel safely!

Tony (Lostride)

Last edited:

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Welcome Tony. Look forward to reading about your future adventures. Sounds like you have a great opportunity there!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Nice to get aquainted with you, Tony!

I'll be looking forward to learning about your adventures and look forward to your pics and trip reports.

:lurk:

BTW, welcome to ExPo! :)

lostride

Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome I look forward to participating in this forum, and reading all the great adventures people are having on this awesome planet. I hope to provide as much information as I can about my region of the world and would be happy to answer any questions people may have about this part of Australia.

I have set up a Picasa web album for all to peruse. I am using a GPS enabled camera so the locations can be seen in Google maps embeded in the page.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lostride/ExpeditionAndAdventure#

Regards,
Tony

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
me = jealous!

Sounds like it has been a long time since you ahve been back home....Me, I would start with some Tooheys Old and some Bundy Rum! After that I would start looking for a Nissan Patrol to buy! Best 4wd on the planet the Patrol, ask around Oz and you will see I tell no lies....

I went diving on the GBR when I was in Oz. It was not the best, mostly because it had been raining a ton and so it was not super clear water. That and I saw a fair amount of damage to the reef. Plus I was only as far north as Airlie Beach/Whitsunday Islands. I do agree though the GBR is special, very special and should be protected at all costs no matter what. Once it is gone and destroied it will be gone forever!

Good on ya mate for heading back home and getting yourself the dream job!

NorCalLC

Adventurer
Welcome to ExPo, sounds like a great change of scenery for you.

That was a lot of reading though only to find out you bought a rover....:sombrero:

lostride

yeah, sorry about all that reading.. Toyota's are great no doubt, they all are, I guess it comes down to the driver and the maintenence in the end... I know the costs of ownership will be high but what the heck! I love the way she rides.

dirty Bakers

Conservative
My very distant ancestors are directly from the south east of Australia, so you could say I'm jealous.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
Welcome, lostride!

The Prado is very similar to the Toyota 4Runner and Lexus GX460 that are imported into Canada and USA. The Australian version is available with a diesel engine option we don't see in North America.

lostride

This week there has been some (expensive) maintenance done on the Disco. She has has some new ball joints installed on the left side. I still have a slight wobble on uneven pavement (bitumen) at speed (80+ kph).
I suppose it might be some general adjustment/wear and tear in the front end (there is 240 Km on the clock).

This week I also fitted some heavy duty Rhino Racks to accomodate some future fittings. Right now I needed a method to transport my Malibu Mini X kayak. I have been able to get it off the roof on my own but I am yet to devise a good system for getting it up there by myself. I purchased a wheel step that is very useful howeve, it is not aligned to the centre so it is not suitable for getting the kayak up on the roof. I have recently found a small folding step that may do the job.

I now have the freedom to both seek out new locations on land and travel on water. I have been going out on the ocean every other day as the weather here in Palm Cove has been favorable. I am getting familiar with the equipment and venturing further and further out to sea. Watching the sun rise over the ocean is particularly satisfying and makes for a great start to the day.

I am in the procees of planning a local trip out to Hascock Island and even staying a night, diving for Painted Crayfish and fishing on the reef if the law permits. I am on the great Barrier Reef Marine Park so i need to check on the law regarding extraction.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=498

Last edited:

targa88

Explorer
Tony,
Welcome aboard from a transplanted banana bender....
Some day I will get back.
A great trip would be up to Cape York - since you are almost there.

lostride

Yes, Cape York is definately on the cards. I had a little run a few Km's up the Bloomfield Track recently just for fun. My truck will need some more gear before I do it though!

Can't wait to see the Northern most tip of Australia. I have a pic of myself at the Eastern most tip (Byron Bay) I guess I need to complete the whole set.

latinoguy

Adventurer
What a great lifestyle you live. Wish you much success.
How can I see the GPS coordinates that you mentioned?

Thanks for the warm welcome I look forward to participating in this forum, and reading all the great adventures people are having on this awesome planet. I hope to provide as much information as I can about my region of the world and would be happy to answer any questions people may have about this part of Australia.

I have set up a Picasa web album for all to peruse. I am using a GPS enabled camera so the locations can be seen in Google maps embeded in the page.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lostride/ExpeditionAndAdventure#

Regards,
Tony

HrznChaser

Welcome

Welcome, I look forward to hearing more about Oz. Also the disco. My wife drive an 03 so I look forward to hearing what upgrades you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal