My Rover

locrwln

Expedition Leader
DiscoveryXD said:
The bearings didn't look good when he took them out, so we put new ones in with the new gears too. No sense in putting in questionable bearings... Andy said that the gears patterned great, but this set is still noisy. I've heard others say the 4.11's are noisy, it's just a question of whether or not they get worse... The last set got worse (louder) over time, so we'll see.

I do know one thing though, this is the last set of rover gears I'm putting in. If this set starts to get louder as time goes by, then I'm just going to leave it in until I can afford the toyota conversion. Toy V6 4.10 3rd member (with e locker:costumed-smiley-007 )with Rovertracks 30 spline axles.

I like the sound of that...

I'm not sure where to look for the toy diff though? IH8MUD is probably my best bet i guess? what do you think Jack?

That sucks. I hope these will last a while.

I responded on 'Mud, but I thought of a couple of other choices/forums. Yotatech, TTORA forums. Those usually have some pretty good classifieds.

Jack

Mercedesrover

Explorer
DiscoveryXD said:
I'm not sure where to look for the toy diff though

They're easy to find, especially if you're looking for 4.10s. Go to any decent salvage yard and they'll have them. Expect to pay$400-$500 for a good one. (I'm assuming you're going to go with an E-locker?)

revor

Explorer
Mercedesrover said:
They're easy to find, especially if you're looking for 4.10s. Go to any decent salvage yard and they'll have them. Expect to pay$400-$500 for a good one. (I'm assuming you're going to go with an E-locker?)

Yes E Locker.. 1996 on, Taco TRD V6

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
I use to work at the Rover dealership here in town, so I'm going over there to look for an axle housing. If they don't have it, I'll hit up all the junk yards insearch of the Rover housing and Toy diff.

Thanks for talking to me on the phone and helping me out yesterday, Keith.

revor

Explorer
DiscoveryXD said:
I use to work at the Rover dealership here in town, so I'm going over there to look for an axle housing. If they don't have it, I'll hit up all the junk yards insearch of the Rover housing and Toy diff.

Thanks for talking to me on the phone and helping me out yesterday, Keith.

No Troubles, trying to be of help. Good luck in your search. I will keep an eye for things you might need as well.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
I went down to the dealership and my buddy introduced me to a new tech that has a taco rear axle. He said he bought the axle for 3 or $400 and he's willing to sell me the diff for $600.

I'm really thinking about just going new and not questioning the condition of a used diff.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
What a guy!
It's an e-locker, right? Offer him $450 or $500. If he's not interested, take a hike.
Don't be too worried about a used diff. Not much goes wrong with them and a reputable salvage yard will give you the mileage from the vehicle it comes from. These things aren't gold so don't pay more than you need to. $600 TOPS for a very low mileage unit.

revor

Explorer
It's toyota. If everything looks good, feels good and smells (really) good then it probably is good. I picked up an open V6 third with unknown miles or condition for cheap. Dropped a Detroit in it and away I went..

These are durable.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
he says it has about 30k on it, so about $450 - $500?

I was thinking about taking my GBR rear shafts out and puting them up for sale first. That way I can sell those and use the stock shafts until I go for the toy.

Keith, what would you say for the GBR shafts? I've only taken the truck out on one trail since they've been in.

revor

Explorer
DiscoveryXD said:
he says it has about 30k on it, so about $450 - $500?

I was thinking about taking my GBR rear shafts out and puting them up for sale first. That way I can sell those and use the stock shafts until I go for the toy.

Keith, what would you say for the GBR shafts? I've only taken the truck out on one trail since they've been in.

Put them on DWEB for a bit less than regular price, they'll sell just because of availability. They are after all Maxi-Drive (Hi-Tuff ENG) shafts so they are good ones (just expensive) Make your plans known so the same guy can buy your rear diff. Or just sell them off together.

$500 for a 30K toy .... Do it!

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
well, hopefully I'll have the shafts sold this weekend for $600, and I'm buying the diff tomorrow for ... wait for it..... $400! I looked at it today, and it looks brand new. :wings:

I'll be calling you soon, Keith.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
sinuhexavier said:
Oh, absolutely just the Toyota part... I think you've done a great job with your truck. I've watched it's progress over the years on DWEB and you seem to have great taste in the additions to your truck...

Thank you Sinuhe. I've tried to keep it as clean and functional as possible. That's why I look for advice from people like Marc, Ben, the Rupp brothers, and after seeing your 99 SD, it looks like I can add you to that list too. That truck is coming along quite nicely.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
this is a great writeup...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367387&highlight=toy+diff+conversion+writeup

toy diff.

toy.jpg

toy2.jpg

toy1.jpg

toy3.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater