My *slow going* M416 camping trailer build.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
A couple more pictures, the switch for the lift is not what I wanted, or really where I wanted it, but it was the only real place I could put it. If I find a metal one that will do what I want I will replace it. I ordered the actual switch for the actuators, but it was flimsy and less weatherproof than this one. This one was purchased in a pinch locally.

Now to remove the actuators so I can paint the brackets they are attached to and the welds.

and a video showing a full up/down cycle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQYEvuJeIlw

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I added some stabilization at the top of the actuators to give them more strength since they are at full extension, I also fixed my pin holes since they were not lining up perfect after the actuators went all the way up. I did not want the actuators holding all the weight alone.

Here is a comparison of the "upgraded" telescopic ladder that CVT sent me to replace the one that is on my tent (it has issues locking and sticks a lot and then drops). I have not put on the new one yet, but it doesn't look much better IMO. It does slide better and lock better though. It loses the "auto collapse" function of when you start lowering it the next rung triggers the next to come down.

I wish the tent came with the ladder that was in the pictures I had looked at before I bought it. It was a sliding ladder like what other manufacturers use.

I need to finish up some stuff in the battery box, and paint the inside of the tub for now. I want to line it, but that is out of the budget for now. Hopefully I found the leak that was letting a tiny bit of water in there to get trapped under the rubber floor.

I also need to make some canvas covers for the vertical uprights, I constantly bump them and get 'greased'.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
wonder if they make a shock boot that long. That would be a good solution for the uprights.

I planned on shock boots originally, but I am thinking I would rather have canvas covers I can snap on and off, as that makes the slides much easier to re-grease.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Can you explain and show pics of the hitch, I am trying to figure how to put one on my m416......thanks

Currently it is just a ball hitch the previous owner grafted onto a broken lunette shaft.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372904231492.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372904231492.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 100
  • uploadfromtaptalk1372904241705.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372904241705.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 100

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Sorry I meant the rear hitch, I want to be able to put my bike rack on. Thanks

Pre made receiver tube, we cut a 2" hole in the frame and slid it through. Then we made some reinforcement on the back.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372969039095.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372969039095.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 73
  • uploadfromtaptalk1372969048406.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372969048406.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 74

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I wanted to add a safety to the lift so a kid or someone else with busy fingers won't burn up the actuators with the safety pins in place.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
My wife helped me make the covers for the uprights they are a waterproof military canvas from the surplus, and I painted the floor for now until I can afford to line-x it.

I also will move the awning to the side for now. With it on the back it has been interfering with putting on the tent window awning support rods.

Packing it for a campground trip next weekend right now!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373740258915.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373740258915.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 69
  • uploadfromtaptalk1373740277908.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373740277908.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Added an led strip so I don't have to hang a battery lantern inside. Trying to figure out where to put the others.

4uta8esu.jpg

u8u6ysep.jpg

azutyha6.jpg

4a8ezupe.jpg

3udu4uny.jpg

ezyrydus.jpg

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Glad to see the mods keep coming. I used some smaller LED strips that I bought from IKEA and just cut off the plug and hooked to battery box. I put 2 12" on each of the 3 tent supports and it, like yours, is as light as daytime. Almost too much light so sometimes we disconnect 1 or 2 of the strips to tone it down. Your one long one should be more than enough. Mount the extra's under the trailer for night lights.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Glad to see the mods keep coming. I used some smaller LED strips that I bought from IKEA and just cut off the plug and hooked to battery box. I put 2 12" on each of the 3 tent supports and it, like yours, is as light as daytime. Almost too much light so sometimes we disconnect 1 or 2 of the strips to tone it down. Your one long one should be more than enough. Mount the extra's under the trailer for night lights.

I have always wanted to do the lights, however it took Amazon 3 tries to get that order right. I also have a 5' strip on the bottom of the tent that lights up the inside of the annex, I just have not wired it yet. The power cord with switch I used on the other one was ~$15 and I wasn't sure that it would work. Now that I know it will I need to probably add another 12v power port someplace for that light to plug into. I'd love to be able to wire them direct, but with the raising and lowering of the platform I think it might just get messy.

I do need to add some outside, I have rope light on it - but where it is mounted doesn't put the light anywhere I need it. I'm pretty sure I have plenty of capacity in the electrical system for what I use the trailer for.

I still have to get braces welded in on the rear stabilizers, when the trailer is loaded they flex too much.

I also need to try to thin down what more I carry. I carry far too much stuff. I think the biggest thing is I need a more efficient way to carry it. The totes I am using I really like, but they make accessing stuff harder than it needs to be and they aren't real organized.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Got out and used it again. I need to figure out ways to wire the LED strips with switches in the platform. I'd really like a 3 way switch on the LED strip in the annex and the other switch up top. I have no idea how to do this though. Right now I had a mess of wires going into the tent and could only control the lights from up top.

The 5' strip in the tent was PERFECT for what I wanted for light, same with the 5' strip below.

We were not as remote as we would like, but my dad is threatening to sell his place on the lake if no one uses it.

I also discovered I need to be double sure the hinge on the RTT interlocks when set up, I noticed the one side sagging and it was because it had not interlocked properly.

1239435_10152151507723294_247691137_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp