My *slow going* M416 camping trailer build.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Added some needed bracing, replaced two actuators under warranty, cleaned up some wiring

uploadfromtaptalk1409081912754.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1409081938250.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409081938250.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 57
  • uploadfromtaptalk1409081967460.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1409081967460.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 54

SamM

Adventurer
Very nice build jeepfreak81. You have shared some really great ideas here. The wheels are turning. Long ago, I told my wife that my vision for our overland trailer is to arrive at camp, hit the remote, have the trailer self-level, the box self-expand and the tent open automatically. She laughs but I believe it's doable. This thread has helped.

SamM

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Very nice build jeepfreak81. You have shared some really great ideas here. The wheels are turning. Long ago, I told my wife that my vision for our overland trailer is to arrive at camp, hit the remote, have the trailer self-level, the box self-expand and the tent open automatically. She laughs but I believe it's doable. This thread has helped.

SamM

It may be doable but would you want to? As much as I love my linear actuators, I sometimes wish I had just had custom gas shocks made, or a different mechanical system. When one actuator failed it was not a big deal, but losing two sucked badly, I was lucky that they were on opposite corners as I don't carry electrical tools and the rack is near impossible to lift without some help. I used to carry the scissor jack still, but it was a lot of weight to just 'carry around'. The fact they won't operate in below freezing weather made it even worse. There were no mentions of that on the companies website.

I love this trailer, but I have often thought about selling it and starting over with the lessons I have learned from it, well that and right now I am not using it near as much as I thought I would be able to. Life keeps getting in the way.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Set the tent up to pack for a trip and about 30 minutes later got hit with a very hard torrential storm. The sleeping area was dry as a bone, but the area around the ladder had water coming down. I think I figured out why water was always in the annex after a storm. I guess I need to build A bow of some sort for here.

uploadfromtaptalk1409507859900.jpg

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Set the tent up to pack for a trip and about 30 minutes later got hit with a very hard torrential storm. The sleeping area was dry as a bone, but the area around the ladder had water coming down. I think I figured out why water was always in the annex after a storm. I guess I need to build A bow of some sort for here.

View attachment 243663

Well this wasn't the issue as this does not happen when the annex is zipped on. Scratch that.

I am however thinking I am going to have to cut the upright support posts off and convert them from square tube to round tube. If I don't keep these lubed perfectly it will start to jam up. Anything that slides should be round tube, if not the corners easily start to jam up and cause excessive friction. I experienced this for the first time demonstrating the lift to TJ at ROAM

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I know this is a old post, but what side square stock did you use for the RTT lift?

1" inside 1-1/4" however if I were to do it again I would use round stock.

The square if it gets the slightest bit out of alignment binds, which is why I believe my lift is so hard to raise and lower without using the actuators.

yngbuck19

Adventurer
Very nice work. I enjoyed reading this build thread very much and would like to have a RTT lift on my Manley trailer someday when I get a Hard Lid fabricated and Line-X'd and sell my current rack. Awesome job thanks for being descriptive and pic heavy keep it up and don't get too discouraged.:clapping:

lpukas2

Thanks, went with round at that size, just waiting for the weekend to get the rack finished and mount the jack.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Old thread revival.

How are those actuators holding up with the seasons?

I had 2 actuators fail the first year, and two fail the second. They barely were used due to us having a second child last year and my wife pregnant the whole summer before.

I am currently rethinking the whole setup, the actuators were no good, and I am not happy with the CVT either for the money. Mine started coming apart at the seams, and even CVT said it shouldn't have but it was out of warranty when it happened.

I'm looking into the large trailer tongue actuators now, but trying to figure out a way to only use one or two to lift it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp