My soon to be '90 Hilux

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I used to own a pretty nice Xtra cab Hilux. It was a great truck, but a bit small for my business. I'd been helping my nephew look for his first truck and steering him through the muddy waters of $2000 Furds, Dodges etc when I came across this truck. He decided it wasn't for him, but for the deal I negotiated, I decided to buy it for myself! I hope to pick it up late next week.

No, this isn't the new one... and I doubt it will get to here. 22RE cam, header, 4" lift, 5.29s and 35s.
image.jpg2_zps5vr09vr9.jpg

This IS the new rig. 3.0, 5-speed, KM2s, mild lift, 180k.
image.jpg2_zpstest2z9m.jpg

image.jpg1_zps61pq5avc.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, it's not quite as clean as it looks. There is rust in the rockers and wheel arches on the box, so welding in some patch panels is high on the list. It also needs the blower for the hvac sorted out. A once over of all the fluids and a simplified "baseline" will happen too.

The wife wants me to fix it and re-sell it asap, but I may drag my feet a little:ylsmoke:. I'll play ball with her somewhat because if it goes the way I think it will, I may be able to get enough extra cash out of a sale to replenish the investment account, and have enough left to buy another one. I have a good history of buying low and selling high. Since she bought me my 2014 Dodge, I can't really complain about her saying I don't "need" this Hilux. But I like a project, so I will take it as I can get it.

Last edited:

huntsonora

Explorer
That's a good looking truck! I want to find one with a clean body that's not running to drop a little diesel in

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Cool plan Drum. Which would you swap in? A 13BT with a 5 speed would be pretty dang cool! My wife really misses her Tacoma, so I'm hoping she falls in love. I just drove my 100 series into the big city for the first time in a long while. You forget how comfortable Toyotas are when sitting in a 1 ton every day;)

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So it's in the driveway! Now comes the fix it up chores. I will eventually sell this one and buy something closer to what I want. This was just too good a deal to pass on.

My question to you all is, if YOU were in the market for a Hilux, would you prefer to see an "ok" looking box that has a limited life left, OR see a brand new shiny flat bed? I can build a nice deck for the same cost as fixing up this box, and I'm leaning towards doing that. Any thoughts? It's 80% or better that whoever buys it will haul a sled, or dirt bike or use it as an off-roader.

Clutch

<---Pass
I don't care for flat beds, since I use a topper, and have a trailer for the motos.

Like a simple stock look....and if I am was looking for an early 90's Toyota Pickup...try to find one that is close to stock as possible. I prefer vehicles owned by OCD old men or women, that have every single service record since they bought the truck new...

I steer clear of modded trucks, though the young bucks seem to like them, those types are easily impressed with lifts and big tires...(I see a vehicle that has been beat on)

This is what I look for, when looking at used Toyotas.

1989-toyota-pickup-sr5-extended-cab-pickup-2-door-30l-2.JPG

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
You're exactly right Clutch, and if I were in this one for the long haul, I'd be shopping grandpa trucks too, but the bed is pretty much done on this one. The po had used a drop in bedliner for 20 odd years, and it's full of holes. The more I look, the more I see a deck coming. I'll do it tastefully, and with utility in mind. Not a crawler-cage. As I think I mentioned, this will be a re-sale project (gotta keep the wife on side), but with the profits, I can possibly buy another one and as it rolls along, put enough together to find a keeper for myself. I'm pretty sure my target market will be "young bucks".

Clutch

<---Pass
You're exactly right Clutch, and if I were in this one for the long haul, I'd be shopping grandpa trucks too, but the bed is pretty much done on this one. The po had used a drop in bedliner for 20 odd years, and it's full of holes. The more I look, the more I see a deck coming. I'll do it tastefully, and with utility in mind. Not a crawler-cage. As I think I mentioned, this will be a re-sale project (gotta keep the wife on side), but with the profits, I can possibly buy another one and as it rolls along, put enough together to find a keeper for myself. I'm pretty sure my target market will be "young bucks".

Sounds like the bed is more trouble than its worth. Flat bed sounds like a good plan...or throw it back on CL for $1500 more than what you paid for it, and see what happens. ;)

Those "owned by an old man" early Toys are damn hard to find anymore. :D

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Sounds like the bed is more trouble than its worth. Flat bed sounds like a good plan...or throw it back on CL for $1500 more than what you paid for it, and see what happens. ;)

Those "owned by an old man" early Toys are damn hard to find anymore. :D

The problem is, old men tend to be a dying breed :elkgrin:

I bought it for about $3k less than guys are asking for trucks with 120,000 MORE miles on it ($5k for 300,000 miles is average asking here!!!). I'm thinking if I do a nice clean deck, and throw the box in as well, it'll probably get close to that $5k mark. I can build the deck for about $200 in steel and a weekend of fun in the shop. I bet it'll sell quick all tidied up! I'd really like a 84-88 doublecab eventually. I'll have to do a couple of deals like this, but it should be do-able.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
They sure could! I'm still back and forth (and probably will be right up to the time I buy the steel this week) on which way to go, but it think a rust free truck with a deck (I'll give future owners the box if they want it) will be far easier to get a decent return on investment than a rust free cab, with a clapped out box.

Clutch

<---Pass
How much is a rust free bed from a salvage yard going for these days?

Flipping vehicles I try to put the least amount of work into them. I doubled my money on my VW Bus...and I didn't even touch it, did just drive it for a couple years though.

Is it worth your time, fabbing up a flat bed...or is better to pay a little more and slap on a "new" bed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77