My White JKU Expedition Build

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Removed my PIAA light in preparation for a Rigid SR 10" LED light bar.

e4u3urer.jpg

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Just installed my Tuffy Center Console Insert. I really just wanted something hidden and easy to access that I could store cash, CC's, DL, iPod and iPhone. It should be pretty secure although I am only using the 4 stock T-20 bolts right now. For the smash and grab type of thieves it will be fine. I think I will drill the the two optional holes at some point, but my Jeep is never really in a situation that any thief would have enough time to get what they want.

puquhesy.jpg

a5a7upe4.jpg

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Where did you get the center console insert? All I can find is the big replacement center console.

I ordered mine from Northridge 4X4. They don't stock them, but can get them drop shipped from Tuffy. I paid $124 shipped. Took 4 days. After using it a little more today I think it's going to work out just fine. You lose a small amount of useable space inside, but for my uses it works great. It will deter the common thief. If somebody wants something then anything is vulnerable. I don't really care if they steal my sunglasses, small amounts of cash or debit card. For this to happen they will need to have a T20 torx driver with them. It just won't be worth the time and my vehicle is never in many spots where time for the thief will be given to figure out what to do.If you drill the two optional holes, then they would have to take out whole console to get to it. Just adds a little piece of mind that things of importance are safe for the most part.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
After having an issue with my hoist and subsequent near disaster with my hardtop falling from 6 ft in the air, I decided I was done with the hardtop. I decided to buy a used '12 or '13 top and ended up with a '12. IMO, the hardtop looks better and is definitely quieter, but I own the Jeep to be able to take off the top and the HT doesn't allow for quick removal. It also means I have to always know the future weather. I might miss the HT, but for the moment I am happier and I made a nice chunk of money for it compared to what I paid for soft top.

puse4yzu.jpg

CRolandLJ

Adventurer
I'm on the other side of the same battle in my LJ... with my garage hoist i actually think the hard top is faster but you're right about having to know the weather (which can be hard in Dallas! - i'm in Plano) but i found myself not taking the soft top down unless i knew i could get several days in with it off anyways.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
We got both tops when we ordered ours- back in the day, it was the only way to order your Jeep. However, the soft tops have come A LONG way in terms of being quiet- to the degree that I could deal with only the soft top. However, in traffic, it is a huge noise difference, and the AC has to work a lot harder to keep up. Also, putting stuff in the back is a lot harder with the soft top. I really wish you could roll the window up like you used to be able to with the YJ and I think the TJ.

Something I'd recommend on the top deal is one of those Spiderweb Shades. We got one so we could go topless with the baby and it rocks. Getting the hard top on with it there is a real PITA, but still worth it.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
We got both tops when we ordered ours- back in the day, it was the only way to order your Jeep. However, the soft tops have come A LONG way in terms of being quiet- to the degree that I could deal with only the soft top. However, in traffic, it is a huge noise difference, and the AC has to work a lot harder to keep up. Also, putting stuff in the back is a lot harder with the soft top. I really wish you could roll the window up like you used to be able to with the YJ and I think the TJ.

Something I'd recommend on the top deal is one of those Spiderweb Shades. We got one so we could go topless with the baby and it rocks. Getting the hard top on with it there is a real PITA, but still worth it.

I have a SWS and use it every time I have top down. I always had to back the Jeep in perfectly and I have a small garage so it became a beating actually. I really like the HT for looks though. Not a fan of the soft top for looks, but I will get used to it and the noise which isn't much of a big deal to me.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I have a SWS and use it every time I have top down. I always had to back the Jeep in perfectly and I have a small garage so it became a beating actually. I really like the HT for looks though. Not a fan of the soft top for looks, but I will get used to it and the noise which isn't much of a big deal to me.

Yeah when I read back a couple pages I saw you got one. DOH! Sorry to be dumb.

On the top, it's funny, I actually prefer the soft top for looks. Hopefully in the coming months we're buying a house so I can more easily store the hard top. But I really wish there was a way to roll the back window up like in the older Wranglers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater