mypressi is out of business it seems :(

NothingClever

Explorer
I brought back a couple of sleeves of the small, plastic demitasse cups. I'd rather drink a coffee from a small diameter cup than a large cup where the flavor, heat and intensity of the small amount of coffee sorta get lost amidst all that air of a large cup. After using them up, I switched to ceramic which is, IMO, worthwhile to bring on a trip. The usual café style ones from Lavazza, Rancilio, etc are bombproof.

Last edited:

deets

Handpresso user here. Same thing as the Mypressi except you don't have to keep buying CO2 cartridges because it is all hand pumped. I've had great success in the bush with mine.

Honu

lost on the mainland
Handpresso is not the same thing IMHO :) but true about co2 and for me getting better shot is worth the co2 :)

deets

Handpresso is not the same thing IMHO :) but true about co2 and for me getting better shot is worth the co2 :)

:coffee: I've tried both and would be happy with either for in the bush. The Mypressi might make a slightly better crema and higher volume, but other than that they are pretty comparable. The key with the Handpresso is to preheat the unit with hot water first, and give it a few extra pumps during the extraction to keep the pressure up and get that nice crema. For me, I'd rather have something that doesn't require anything other than water and coffee. I put great stock in gear that is low maintenance, so the Handpresso is worth it for me, even if the Mypressi makes an ever so slightly better shot. (I make americano anyway) Your mileage may vary, but the Handpresso is a Very good option. Besides, they stopped making the Mypressi so your options are slightly limited ;)

Honu

lost on the mainland
yeah the company started making the mypressi again ? unless they quit again :)

I agree about simple and close enough also its what you are happy with that really counts :)

when I first got my pasquini years ago I was ecstatic :) now I think I would be like OH MAN this bites ! and want more so its also my home machine to compare that makes it really tough to come down any little bit :)

funny when I had the trailer I was going to figure out a way to run my old pasquini from it :)

just wish they had some more cool options out there for espresso in camp ?

madmax718

Explorer
Aeropress for me. Took me a few tries and combinations to get the right "grind" for the paper filters. If the grind isn't fine enough, it doesnt generate enough pressure for the crema to form. The flavors seem to be less bitter- If flavor of espresso used to be expressed in a full octave, starbucks tends to have some more bitterness, and flavors of burnt charred wood, whereas other places have a bit of toasty flavor, hints of caramel, almost a sweet touch. Aeropress for me gives me most of the notes, but still playing with the amount of water- it seems to remove some of the bitterness and char flavors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach

Members online