Need help pls: PW vs '03 7.3 vs '11 6.7

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Okay, here is the deal. I have a decently built '07 PW, specs below, and have an '11 Ford diesel, and found a '03 7.3 PSD Ford. Would love to keep them all, but the back is shot, and don't have many more builds left in me, as I do them myself. Been wheeling for 40 years, see www.theroverbarn.com for a few of the trucks from the last 5 years. Done the hardcore stuff, done tons of traveling, and now we pretty much explore, tote the kayaks/canoes, camp(prefer noncampground camping) and not doing too much tough stuff anymore. Second family with a 4&6yo, as well as a 21yo.
So, which truck to keep. Pull a single car trailer at times, an M101, family travel vehicle, camp rig with chuck wagon trailer and Oz tent, and general all around truck chores on a couple hundred acres.
The PW: on 37s, Thuren front end, ram assist, Ute alum flatbed, 20k miles, and 12mpg.
The '11 Ford: 35s going to 37" GSAs, Road Armor blade w/ 12k Warn, avg 19mpg
'03 Ford 7.3 incoming, all stock, avg 23 mpg, 75k miles from Ca. Build to 37"GSAs, winch, ARB front bumper, 4" lift, etc.
All have pros and cons, and totally confused myself. Need a little neutral input, but be sensitive to the outline above, not brand loyal. I have a nicely built D-II locked, etc on 255/85s that is solid and adequate. Want to simplify, shed the extras, and enjoy traveling for a bit... Thoughts welcome and encouraged. Cheers all.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Sounds like a tough choice, but I highly doubt a 7.3 is getting 23 mpg. I have one and the only way it would get that mileage is if it was kept at 50mph or less on a gentle road.

I guess it will come down to whether you can deal with the rougher ride and larger turning radius of the leaf sprung SD.

Jack

sdwhip

Observer
I would stick with the 2011 Ford. I love the Power Wagons and the 7.3s are some of the best trucks made but if this may be the last truck you build and plan to hang on to for years to come the newer 2011 sounds like the best bet. Plus it's better in almost every way than the 03 minus much more electronics.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I had a '99 350 with the 7.3 for about 5 years- bought it new. We tend to clamorize those memories sometimes, ie ride and turning radius being forgotten as that was par at the time. As they say, you can never go back.
Both the '11 Ford and PW are under warranty, though the Ford for a bit longer timeframe.

I must also add, while the PW is a hoot, it rides like a 3/4 ton truck. The new Ford is amazing in ergonomics and comfort. Extremely quiet, and who doesn't like 400 hp w/ 800# torque? But it comes at a cost maintenance wise. Ford has added so many electronics to protect against previous issues- like the ph warning last week for the coolant.... But not a hiccup the first 15k miles!!

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
As much of a Power Wagon fan I am, it sounds like you will be doing a lot of towing. I say the 2011 Ford. I actually tow too much to justify a gasser myself. In fact, I have gotten all the way down to 6 MPG while towing in mine. . I can actually SEE my bank account draining everytime I do so. Just not in the position to replace my PW after all we've been through.. :safari-rig: Good luck!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Sounds like a tough choice, but I highly doubt a 7.3 is getting 23 mpg. I have one and the only way it would get that mileage is if it was kept at 50mph or less on a gentle road.
snip.......

Jack

x2. Like Jack, I have lots of 7.3L knowledge and experience. I also highly doubt 23 MPG, even if it has 3.54:1 gears.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I had a '99 350 with the 7.3 for about 5 years- bought it new. We tend to clamorize those memories sometimes, ie ride and turning radius being forgotten as that was par at the time. As they say, you can never go back.
Both the '11 Ford and PW are under warranty, though the Ford for a bit longer timeframe.

I must also add, while the PW is a hoot, it rides like a 3/4 ton truck. The new Ford is amazing in ergonomics and comfort. Extremely quiet, and who doesn't like 400 hp w/ 800# torque? But it comes at a cost maintenance wise. Ford has added so many electronics to protect against previous issues- like the ph warning last week for the coolant.... But not a hiccup the first 15k miles!!

Very valid points here sir and it frames the argument well. I still have my 1996 7.3L and it's a great truck, but it's still a 1996. A short drive in my new Tundra which is a little shorter but turns much tighter puts everything into perspective. New trucks are new trucks, there are differences other than just the price.

I vote keep the new 6.7 Power Stroke for the comfort, power, and economy. How can you argue against having all three of those things in one truck?

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Wow, I am surprised at the response- and very appreciative. And for an interesting perspective, my wife has been confused as to why I have not had the same revelation, which is also her vote by the way. I think we/I get too close and let emotion over ride cognition when it comes to vehicles. My biggest negative is the electronics, but in reality, I think an old carryover of concern from my Rovers. And it that arena, I am also diligently trying to minimize to one truck- that is a whole other story.

So, with the help of my fellow addicts, it is looking like the '11 SD is going to be the keeper, and a somewhat conservative build. I ordered the truck, so it has the goodies like elocker rear, even a/c seats:) Now if I can just break it off with the PW...
Stay tuned, and thanks for the input, though still a little surprised at ...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Ford killed 5.5' off the turning radius in all configurations when they went to coils,so that's a big plus.
I'm a big guy,and Ford's cab is right up my alley.

I couldn't sleep at night without a factory authorized service plan though.
Any kind of extensive head/turbo/injector work etc. requires lifting the cab off the frame.
I'd keep the 2011 Ford.

Sage Carli purchased one as his personal vehicle for research purposes.
He offers suspension enhancements for it.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip.... My biggest negative is the electronics, but in reality, I think an old carryover of concern from my Rovers. And it that arena, I am also diligently trying to minimize to one truck- that is a whole other story.

snip....

Yes, I've often felt the same way, but vehicles are going to keep getting more advanced and we can either learn to like/live with it or drive older iron.

I agree with you, and thought similarly when buying my '96 F350: drive-by-wire, EFI diesel???… but it didn't have air-bags which was fine with me. Since 1996 I've purchased other new vehicles with more 'stuff' on them, and so far they've mostly been okay.

New(er) is nice and generally more reliable. You have it, enjoy it. :)

Last edited:

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Redline, I agree, and it echos Scott Brady's recent article on the same subject.
I had the same hesitancy when I sold old faithful PD for the 1150GSA, but never looked back after the first thousand mile day!!

71WarWagon

I have to agree with a lot of the points made here. I've only ever seen 19 mpg with my leveled SD on 35's with 3.73's even with all my add-ons, which was why I added a little LPG to the mix and then I saw mid to low twenties all the time....its all about how you drive it.

Warranties are great....until they expire. The new SD's are the cats *****, but they are very expensive to buy and there are alot of nuisances like the UREA refills or having the first incarnation of a new generation truck that is stuffed with electronics. You may have good luck and never need a warranty, even after it expires or you may not.

I love my old SD (lol, hard to think a 99 is "old" now) and there are things like front coil-over conversions and other suspenion upgrades to consider to make it more comfortable, fewer electronics to get in the way from you doing maintainance or simple fixes in your garage and to be frank, a truck that looks better than the new SD styling (IMHO anyway...lol...).

Here's my last thought, then I'll step off the soap box...even though I seem to dispise all things Chrysler I have always thought the PW was a pretty cool truck. Only thing I ever thought it was lacking was a good diesel option. The vehicle is set up for more than you ever plan on using (rather have too much than not enough, you never now when you might need it) from the factory and it all works together already. So, I guess what I'm getting at is why not sell the two fords, swap in a CR cummins and have it all in one truck? A quality CR swap will set you back around 8-10K and you already have the Chrysler tranny, most of the elctronics etc. to make the swap even easier. 3-5k for a CR cummins, 3-4k to "bulletproof" your tranny, maybe 100-200 in mounts that you can go down to any junk yard and pull out of a factory cummins truck, 1000-1500 for electronics (maybe, probably less because you already have a Chrysler truck) and another 2k to have someone else do the work for you if you want. The axles are more than beefy enough to handle the power. Then you'd be out 10k, and have 60k back from the '11, prolly 10-12k back from the other SD and still be getting the high mileage numbers (maybe higher with a custom tune, intake, exh, etc) that you want along with a factory looking install, factory performing (cruise, a/c. etc.) PW. That sounds pretty bad ***** to me...but hey, what ever floats your boat right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC