need help with a m416

I just picked up a m416(i think) trailer. The only prob is the sides and back where cut off and i dont have them. What i need help with is trying to get measurements and drawings of the sides and back. I got a great deal on the trailer. It has new wiring, tires, brakes, and is in very good over all shape. It just dont have sides and I'm wanting to make it into a expedition trailer. I can build a top once I have the sides done. I have a drawing of a lid for it i found online. Awhile back I found a build thread where a guy had to build new sides for his but i can find it. If anyone can help me out with drawings and dimensions or with the website that showed the build.

Robert Bills

Explorer
You can find most of the dimensions in the military manual for the M416. It is available for free download on several sites or you can purchase a hard copy from Portrayal Press. Try this link for a downloadable version:

http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/pdf/trailer/m416.pdf

You might also try contacting Jeep Panels Plus. They can supply body panels for military trailers. Their contact information is:

Jeep Panels Plus
96 Reservoir Road
South Paris, ME 04281
Phone: (207) 743-7671
Fax: (207) 743-6867

Several vendors can provide complete tubs, frames, etc. All are manufactured by MD Juan in the Phillipines (as opposed to Jeep Panels Plus, which makes its own panels at their facility in Maine):

midwestmil.com/trailerparts.html

https://www.dlbensinger.com/

There is also a forum specifically for M416 trailers. Yahoo, I think.

Hope this gives you a start.

here is a quick drawing of what i need. i can fab the panels myself i just need the dimensions. i have the man but it dont show dimensions of the tub just the overall dem.

Attachments

• m416 drawing.JPG
    m416 drawing.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 80

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Hope this helps. I don't have an angle finder here, but got the measurements for it, should be easy to figure.

m416DIMENSION.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
awesome thanx man. thats exactly what i need. thanx again.

No problem. I threw the fender measurements in there also. The tops come right up below the 'bend' in the side panel.

All the measurements are of the tub only, not of the trailer frame.
(the side panels overlap the frame by about an inch-the overlap is not part of the measurements)

oh ok i see what your sayin. thanks again HillBillE

also thanks Ice that helped alot to. the manual i have on it did have that page to it.

Last edited:
here is the jeep im usein as a tow rig and here is the trailer im startin with.

i am almost dont lifting the trailer too. i started it tonight ran out of light and energy. got to relocate the parking brake cable and put the u-bolts back on.

Attachments

• jeep on 38s.jpg
    jeep on 38s.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 15
  • trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 21

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I don't think that's an M416, looks like the 'generator' version.

Same frame/axle and everything, but the generator one came with a flat deck and fenders. They were M716/M762 designations.

Some had 'stake pockets' for bows and canvas.

Here's some more trailer info:

http://wwiijeepparts.com/Archives/JeepTrailer.html

The M416 stuff is toward the bottom of the page. Lots of great links also!

HB:coffeedrink:

Awesome thanks again. I have no idea what it is all the guys on the mil site was sayin it was a m416. I think i was told the sides where cut off, but it was used to haul a generator. It dont have stake pockets. If its the same frame and wheels then it will still work to make a tub the dimensions as the m416. It dont have a I.D. tag on the back of the frame. Also there are alot of differences on stuff about the trailers. Mine has the m416 lights and light mounts, has the dual position lunette eye, the backs of the fenders are stitch welded on by hand not factory. Mine also dont nor did have the eye-lets to strap anything down that the generator one has. It also dont nor did have that thing goin across the front of the frame. It does have the landing leg that the m416's have.

I'm comparing my trailer to the one in this pic.

http://members.cox.net/ww2willysmbfordgpwjeep/MilitaryJeepPictures/JeepTrailers.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven