Need recommendations for a family vehicle.

edwardmatt83

Hello - first post here. I have a family of 3 kids...soon to be 4 later this year. I need recommendations for a used vehicle for camping trips. We have a Toyota Sienna right now. We live in Utah, and I'd like something a little more off-road capable. I am also involved in the local scout troop, so I need something to haul the scouts around in.

I have no need for towing capacity right now. If I were to ever tow anything, it would probably be a popup tent trailer.

I am very interested in a Land Cruiser, but I have a hard time paying $10k for a 15 year old car with 200k miles. I would like to keep it under $10k...the cheaper the better. I was also looking at 4runners, but I would like the ability to fit the whole family. What do you recommend that I look at? My oldest son is 7 and my youngest is 2 years old. Thank you for your help!

ADVW/Liam

Adventurer
I was going to suggest an Excursion or an older Suburban, but the price point of $10 grand is limiting you. I've heard absolutely nothing but good things about Land Cruisers, regardless of their mileage. Some series are more sought after than others. If I was in your shoes, I'd go with an 80s year model Suburban, only because replacement parts for mechanical items are everywhere, and I personally like the way the 80's models look. If you get a 3/4 or 1 ton, it'll have a solid axle underneath. You can probably pick one up a nice one for less than about $8,000 and use the rest for mods.

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
Suburban. Cheaper and easier to work on than an 80 or 100 series, and the 5.3/6.0 are arguably some of the most reliable engines produced in the last 20 years. Plus, my 80 series got 11 mpg no matter what, stock height on 33s. My 8.1l suburban on 35s with 6 inch lift will do 12-14 freeway. Also quite a bit more room.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You can get a GMT-400 (1991-1999) Suburban or Tahoe for under $5k and that would leave enough extra to fix all the little things that always need fixing on an old vehicle: Power windows, cracked windshield, etc. From what I've heard the injected 5.7 is a bit of a gas hog but a stout and reliable engine otherwise. Moving up to 3/4 ton on the Suburban would also give you a diesel option.
For a few thousand more you could also get a GMT-800 (2000 - 2006) version of the same thing, although there was no diesel in the GMT-800 trucks. If you are willing to buy an older truck with higher mileage, you can easily find one for under $7k.
And just to show I'm not a brand-bigot :sombrero: you could also consider an early (1997-02) Ford Expedition. Solid rear axle and pretty dependable overall trucks, with a 3rd row seat.
Finally, I've seen 1st gen Sequoias for under $10k, although they will have high miles (nearly 200k) at that price.
Last note: If you're shopping for a Suburban or Tahoe, don't forget to include the Yukon and Yukon XL in your search. AFAIK the GMT-400 Yukons were identical in terms of drivetrain to the Tahoe. For the GMT-800 trucks, anything with the "denali" package is going to have a single-speed T-case with AWD and a 6.0 V8, whereas the Suburban/Tahoe of the same year would have a 2 speed T-case with part time 4wd and the 5.3 (there was also an AWD Suburban/Tahoe with a 2 speed t-case but those aren't too common.)

p nut

butter
Isn't Suburban the official vehicle of Utah? :)

Forget the LC and 4Runner. I have 2 kids and my old 100-series LC was packed to the gills on a 3 day camping trip. No way to use the 3rd row, unless you were towing a trailer. Sequoia is better, but still lacks cargo room behind the 3rd row. I'd go Yukon/Suburban. I don't know much about AWD Express, but that may be an option as well.

leelikesbikes

Adventurer
excursion

if your not towing heavy it wouldnt be worth the price of entry on a diesel excursion, but the v8 and v10 ones are cheap. not gonna get good mileage, but you cant have it all.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
With 4 kids: gotta be Suburban or Excursion. If you got a 4Runner/Land Cruiser, you'd have to get 2. And for the price people think Toyotas are worth.......

And when I lived in Mesa, AZ (big Mormon community), Suburbans were called BMWs- Big Mormon Wagons.

utherjorge

Observer
I did exactly this whole thread.

I have four children. I first bought an older Blazer and even did a bench seat in the front to fit 6. Too cramped.

Meanwhile, I had a 2004 Sienna, which I hated. Lots of space, but rode like a car, and too low to the ground. Lots of stupid problems, but I have had zero luck with Toyotas...so eventually, that one went. At one point I picked up a 2011 Grand Caravan. Aside from teh brake issues, I love it...but I camped with the whole family in that. Nowhere near enough space.

So during my minivan extravaganza, I found what I thought was my perfect truck: a 1986 Suburban. 3/4 ton, in nearly perfect shape except for some minor issues. Then, the issues turned a bit less that minor. No A/C. The rear glass (the only non-perfect thing: not barn doors) wouldn't drop. Driver's seat quickly fell apart (perhaps duct taped together by the previous owner?) Headliner collapsed. And so on. A significant lack of comforts, and I need to to go 100 miles a day, usually. Couldn't hack it.

I made my list, and while I wanted a 2500 Burb, I was satisfied with a 1500. I found a 5.3L 1500 under 100k miles for about 8k, and further stole it when they took my piece of crap Sienna on trade without looking at it. (hahahahahahahaha)

It has all I need, and is easy to mod to handle everything. In my wife's words, it's a far better cruiser than either van was, and ssure, I don't tow now. But I could. Always good to have the ability if not the need.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Hello - first post here. I have a family of 3 kids...soon to be 4 later this year. I need recommendations for a used vehicle for camping trips. We have a Toyota Sienna right now. We live in Utah, and I'd like something a little more off-road capable. I am also involved in the local scout troop, so I need something to haul the scouts around in.

I have no need for towing capacity right now. If I were to ever tow anything, it would probably be a popup tent trailer.

I am very interested in a Land Cruiser, but I have a hard time paying $10k for a 15 year old car with 200k miles. I would like to keep it under $10k...the cheaper the better. I was also looking at 4runners, but I would like the ability to fit the whole family. What do you recommend that I look at? My oldest son is 7 and my youngest is 2 years old. Thank you for your help!

I sold my cherry LC because we needed 3rd row room. Got a 07 Sequoia. Identical seats to the Sienna but v8 power, off road capable and proper tires and a full size spare. I found a full 2nd row bench so we could do a full 8 butts in seats vs 7 with the 2nd row captians chairs in the Sienna. Gas mileage is only about 1-3mpg less than the Sienna. But you gain real off road ability and real tires vs passenger tires.

BEG

Adventurer
If you want TLC size and reliability/capability at a fraction of the price, I'd suggest a full-size Montero. They're probably the best value and best kept secret out there. However, like the Land Cruiser, with all 3 rows of seating in use, that leaves you with very little interior cargo space. You'll have to either pile everything on the roof or tow a small trailer. If that doesn't work for you, you're looking at an XL vehicle.

In a previous life, I was a die hard Chevy fanatic and have driven halfway across the country in a '99 Burb about a half-dozen times as well as owned four or five square bodies ('73-'87). They're not as robust as the Japanese trucks but plenty comfortable, ride like a dream and have lots of power for towing and passing. Plenty of room for 8 and room for cargo to spare. The downside is that you're giving up some off-road ability with the reduced approach/departure/break-over angles but that may not be relevant to you depending on your intended use.

BTW, I've also got three kids and a Sienna. If the Sienna works for you, you could always go this route!

hqdefault.jpg

rallygabe

Observer
I also vote Suburban/Expedition/Excursion.

I would avoid the 3/4 ton models unless you are towing something heavy/bulky behind you. I have a 2005 silverado crew 1500, and it has been capable of all the trails i've tackled BUT (the caviat) at about 170k miles it started falling to pieces. wheel bearings, dash gauges, blend doors, etc. small annoying naggling things.

SO, buy the newest and or lowest miles and or best maintenance records vehicle you can find (good luck finding a domestic truck with ANY maintenance records....*grumble gumble*)

some photos and text from our colorado trip http://dtmracerx.blogspot.com/2014/09/colorado-bound.html

And my not-updated "build" thread http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/118404-2004-Silverado-1500-crew-build

cheers!

Last edited:

ChevyPit

Observer
I vote suburban/yukonXL.
I also have 4 kids, and 3 suburbans (different configurations), depending where we are going and what we are doing, I have a 04 1500 4X2, a 97 1500 4X4, and a 98 2500 4x4. We drive about 10K miles each a year, so gas doesn't hurt that much.
I have friends with Honda Pilots, 4 runners, Land CRuisers, Monteros, and with the 3rd row up, there is barely space for stuff. If you only had 2-3 kids they work perfect.
You need at least 6 seats, some yukon/tahoe/expedition/trucks may have a front 3 seats row. In my case my kids are always inviting some friend to come along, so the 8 or 9 seats of a suburban come handy.
Manteinance and parts for suburbans are fairly cheap and you can find them anywhere, they share parts with chevy/gmc trucks.
I hope you find one with low mileage, a good record and at good price.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I've done the Excursion thing, and it was a great vehicle, but given your purpose I'd really look at an AWD passenger van. Easier to move around in/get out of, and haul a bunch of junk as well. I hate to say it but soccer moms got this figured out a long time ago and you can bet if a van wasn't the cats ******** for hauling around a bunch of kids they wouldn't be driving them. Most women are all about ease and convenience when it comes to crap like that. Scale up a bit into full size for your scouts and their junk and you got it hammered.

If I had to do it over I'd have skipped the Ex and went with a van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob