Need some advice on making offer on LR3

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
I swear the radio and nav not working is a pinch weld in the right side floorboard harness. I will check with my fellow techs. Either way if it is the pinch weld it still means the sunroof drain my be broken and there may be water beneath the carpet.

Its probably the power wire for the Bluetooth module, or the module itself taking down the MOST ring. On the other hand, I've seen screens, amps, and radios cause the same issue. Too much of a gamble unless they are cutting the price of the vehicle in half.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Yeah, better forward this to the dealer to see if they installed the $20 breather :rolleyes:

Nobody cares about the cost of part... that isn't the point here. If a vehicle with that many miles DOESN'T have the new breather it basically means the diff is cooked, unless its a super lucky truck. Pretty important I'd say, considering most NAS dealers charge between $2k and $5k for another diff...

Last edited:

DiscoDavis

Explorer
$3000 for a module???

******K THAT!! I know the USA can be expensive but that's robbery.

I'm with you on that. I mentioned for him to have them (seller) do it so that he wouldn't have a new purchase that immediately needs that work, IE he does not pay for it. For that price unless I lived over in SF I'd just leave it disabled honestly.

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
Nobody cares about the cost of part... that isn't the point here. If a vehicle with that many miles DOESN'T have the new breather it basically means the diff is cooked, unless its a super lucky truck. Pretty important I'd say, considering most NAS dealers charge between $2k and $5k for another diff...

You couldn't be more wrong. The old style breather causes the seals on the diff to leak, it doesn't cause the diff to fail. The new style breather is only usually installed when repairing a leak or replacing the diff.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
You couldn't be more wrong. The old style breather causes the seals on the diff to leak, it doesn't cause the diff to fail. The new style breather is only usually installed when repairing a leak or replacing the diff.

Look, not going to start a pissing match here, but let's talk what happens when breather gets blocked. If it causes seals to leak, thats from overpressure, IE pressure cannot equalize through breather. Oil leaks aside, if pressure cannot escape, then certainly moisture cannot get out of the diff as fluid heats up to op-temp. Moisture doesn't get out, it starts working on bearings, then at some point you've got a bad diff on your hands. at the very least the two outside bearings that make tons of noise. Thank god the things don't just grenade, but you've still got moisture that is only going to build if the membrane on the breather is blocked. If someone got super lucky the leaky seals would allow moisture to escape but that is far from ideal.

You're totally entitled to your opinion but actually seeing the difference firsthand is what leads me to believe this is the case. If that's the practice dealers went with, we all know how that's gone. People have bad diffs because the manufacturer made it a 75k service item and not a 30-50k one. I'd say that's a pretty widely accepted reality. In theory if they had good breathers they might have gone much much longer before experiencing the current crop of "bad" diffs.

Repeating what your dealer says to a guy who is looking for a used truck with more miles is just a recipe for an empty wallet in the future. IMO go with diffs that had the TSB done. ;)

Last edited:

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
Here is the problem, you are just regurgitating crap you read on the internet that is not based on fact. Looking for a vehicle that has had the 'TSB done' just means that vehicle had a leak from the differntial. From LTB00245...

Situation: A revised front differential breather cap is now available as a serviceable part. It is now necessary to install this revised breather cap when replacing a differential oil seal in the event of a front differential oil leak. The installation of the revised breather cap is only necessary once; for any possible future repairs it is not necessary to install another revised breather cap.

Action: In the event of a front differential oil seal replacement, a revised front differential breather cap must also be installed.

The diffs fail because they painted the inside of the differential. From SSM41904...

Concern: Noise (Whine or humming) from the front or rear differential. A minor oil leak may be evident with possible debris in oil. Oil will be black in color.

Cause: The casing black paint /sealer degrades, detaches and contaminates the oil.
This results in the oil overheating which results in oil seal leaks and bearing noise.

If the breather was the cause of failure there would likely have been a recall.

antiacus

Observer
The more in think on this the more i'm leaning away from this truck. I do appreciate that they already took care of the compressor and bushings but between the radio, gps, e brake and cracking roof i don't know. If they want to let it go for $8,500 i'll seriously consider it.

wildorange

Observer
@OP: Save your money for another LR3 without the issues.

Not worth the grief or hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
You are making a good choice. Don't rush, just wait until you find the right one and don't be afraid to lose money on a few pre purchase inspections. Eventually you will find a truck that has always been maintained/repaired, and it won't be any more expensive than some of the other turds out there.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Here is the problem, you are just regurgitating crap you read on the internet that is not based on fact. Looking for a vehicle that has had the 'TSB done' just means that vehicle had a leak from the differntial. From LTB00245...

The diffs fail because they painted the inside of the differential. From SSM41904...

If the breather was the cause of failure there would likely have been a recall.

FYI I'd recommend reading up on that vis-a-vis the D3 uk forums. I've seen more than a couple differential breakdowns that guys said did not look like paint-caused. Of course you can quote LR documents saying something else, I'm just saying LR is not right 100% of the time at all... Especially when Dana made the diffs, not LR. I appreciate the stance you're taking and misunderstood what you said in an earlier post about advising the OP, so good on you for redirecting that. The discussion was definitely worth bearing out. Chill out man :chef:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad