Need some opions biased or not - 99 Grand Cherokee or 96 SR5 Runner ...

blaze one

Adventurer
I have to choose between a 99 Grand Cherokee and a 96 4Runner Sr5 by tomorrow .
Both are the same price and same millage .
Both are the same condition aswell .

Is the reliabilty of the runner that much better than the cherokee ?
Is there really a reason why i should chose one over the other ?

Thanks for the imput on this boring topic , but i just need some opions to think about other than my own .

motomech

Adventurer
4 runner IMO to many reasons to list
reliability is one of them along with fuel mileage and easy to find parts a stronger aftermarket parts selection etc

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
well you've posted this in the Toyota section, so......here's another vote for the Runner. Assuming its got the 3.4, that's one of the best modern Toyota engines out there, with reliability well into the 200K mile range.

Other than the IFS versus SFA preference, they are pretty similar in size, performance, aftermarket support, etc.

Just note that you haven't given us any engine/drivetrain specs on either, nor have you specified exactly what you plan to do with the truck. So answers may not be very specific at this point. I think you'll find the primary difference in opinion is based on brand preference more than anything else....

juicebox

Adventurer
Yeah, I wouold say if you are wanting to make a cheap rock crawler, then the Heep would be a good idea.

If you want a great off-road, do a little of everything, mild and sensible trail vehicle and DD compromise, not to mention reliability, get the 4runner.

FshTaco99

Adventurer
A WJ or ZJ is no fun to lift seeing that an SYE on a ZJ NP242 is almost $500. The Jeep will be more to maintain and more to lift most likely. I've owned three 99' XJ's, two ZJ's, and one WJ before I realized I'm an idiot and bought my Tacoma. Haven't looked back. SFA is always nice but the IFS will hold together just as long.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Also isn't the Grand Cherokee a unibody design? I know the regular Cherokee was.

Bottom line: If mileage and price are the same, get the Toy. Hands down better vehicle (biased? Probably :D )

Also having been in both I'd say there's more interior room in the Runner. Those Grands look big on the outside but they seem really cramped on the inside.

The 'Runner will also maintain its value longer. On CL you can find Grands <10 years old that are going for $2500. You can't touch a 'runner for that much unless it's at least 15 years old and has 150,000+ miles on it. Even then they're not that easy to find.

I'm guessing you will also get slightly better MPG with the 6 cyl Runner than you will with the GC's V-8, though I assume the 'Runner is an auto? AFAIK the GC was never available with a manual.

FshTaco99

Adventurer
Yes the WJ's are unibody. Bang for buck value the 4Runner is a better vehicle. The WJ will most likely have a 242 or 249 T-Case. The 249 is AWD while the 242 has a part-time 4WD mode. I enjoyed all my Jeeps, just not having the breaking parts and b.s problems.

sami

Explorer
When it comes to a miles comparison for Jeep vs. Toyota, I feel that 100,000 on a Toyota is barely broken in, whereas 100,000 on a Jeep is the start of major overhauls.

I started to look at a few Jeeps when I was shopping for a 3rd gen 4runner. I was not impressed with the condition of even well kept Jeep GC's. They just don't seem to live nearly as long as Toyotas will.

I agree though, that if you're looking to do any serious rockcrawling, maybe the Jeep is your route. But if you want a great reliable camping, daily driving wheeler go for the Toyota.

-Jason

Cackalak Han

Explorer
After a 98 4Runner, I bought a ZJ -- 98 5.9L. I have to say, that thing was FUN! Gobs of torque and sounded mean (even stock). That's where the fun ended, though. Interior was crap. Little things falling apart, eletricals going out. MPG was at 16 on the highway. Needed premium fuel. Engine bay was needing constant attention. I sold it with ~120k miles, because I was afraid the whole thing was going to implode.

I got back into a Toyota after that and wow, what a difference. Everything just felt so solid. Like Sami above said, I felt like 120k was pushing it for the Jeep, but I did not hesitate to pick up my Tacoma with 102k miles. Never going back to a Jeep.... except maybe to restore a CJ or Willy's.

juicebox

Adventurer
I was actually thinking about this again, I think even if I wanted to make a rockcrawler, I wouldn't touch the Jeep. At first, I just figured since it has a solid front axle it would be a good platform, but if I were to make a crawler, I would go for a 1st gen 4runner/truck that was already built.

If I wanted a great vehicle that I could take pretty much anywhere I wanted to go yet still have the practicality of it being my daily driver, I would get the 4runner. Especially one that has an e-locker. :safari-rig:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
4Runner no questions asked. Again, 1000x more relaible, beter milage yada yada yada. SFA or no, the Toyota will crawl well enough to make it a non issue.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
juicebox said:
I was actually thinking about this again, I think even if I wanted to make a rockcrawler, I wouldn't touch the Jeep. At first, I just figured since it has a solid front axle it would be a good platform, but if I were to make a crawler, I would go for a 1st gen 4runner/truck that was already built.

Or any of the Land Cruiser offerings.

madizell

Explorer
A lot of folks have made crawlers out of Cherokees, old style and new. That does not make them a good choice as a crawler. Personally, I can't think of a single Uni-body vehicle that makes a good crawler. Even to make a solid and reliable off roader out of one generally requires armoring the "frame" stampings on the body to limit stress cracking. As between the two choices given, I would take the Toyota.

xtfritz

Observer
I would go with the Toy. I think after the early 90's jeep cherokee's (not the GC) the quality just went downhill and as everyone has pointed out, the Toy is just getting broke in with the same mileage.

Happy hunting!

wjtoy

It boils down to personal preference. I own both toyota and Jeep vehicles. Both have pros & cons. I would question those that think the Toyota is far supperior in reliability. The 4.0L engine is a fantastic unit that can last just as long as any toyota. I've owned the 3.4L engine....it's ok, nothing impressive. The 4.0 or 4.7 will feel like they have more power. IFS is okay, but it doesn't compare to the SFA. Again, I really think its personal preference - they're both good in their own way....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online