Needing some advice and experience on teardrop vs. adventure trailer i.e. patriot and turtleback

skpdx

Hello overlanding guys and gals- I am not new to the world of off road travel, but I am a little bit newer to the overlanding world. Having said that, I am trying to graduate from car camping off road and upgrading to a few ideas and options, this includes-
1) roof top tent on primary vehicle and no trailer
2) offroad teardrop- i.e. So-cal crawler or Teardrops NW Recon, etc.
3) a tow behind rig like a Turtleback or Patriot trailer with roof top tent on it.

The way I see it, all of them have pros and cons, and before I start a huge brawl on this forum, I would like positive opinions if possible- seems like there is enough brawling and arguing in the world as it is. Here's how I see it-(so I am open to corrections and viewpoints for sure on this- hell, that is why I am posting this question to you all in the first place)

1-PROS- RTT on primary vehicle has the advantage of cost, one vehicle, one tent, no trailer, etc. More agility and overland speed since it is all on one chassis. CONS- you have to stow tent every time you want to leave camp, having to set up camp each time park vehicle, and the usual issues with RTT tents. I personally don't think I can do a RTT because my office has a parking garage with a limited height and I would not fit. But I am open to hearing about the guys with rigs with RTT and how their rigs handle with the top-heavy weight. Does the tent limit your ability to handle tough terrain like the Fordyce or the Rubicon? Was your tent comfortable?
2- Offroad teardrop- PROS- separate from tow vehicle so set it and forget it is nice, hard sides for better noise and weather protection, easier to set up camp or hide in rest stops overnight trying to get to far away multi-day adventures, storage, leaving tow vehicle as light and nimble as possible unhitched from base camp, CONS- loss of maneuverability, too chubby or bouncy on trails? , cost of trailer and and tires to maintain, weight if you go nuts with some of the teardrops and gear out there.
3- adventure trailer- PROS- smaller than a teardrop- more maneuverability?, metal construction over wood, more lockable storage than back of Jeep, set up camp and forget it CONS- loss of maneuverability? Too chubby or bouncy on trails?, cost, still using a RTT as well.

So those are my perspectives on it, have any of you taken your teardrop on terrain rougher than a dirt forest road, i.e. Fordyce or Rubicon or roads that you had to use a locker on because of off-camber terrain? How did it handle? Do you regret or change anything about your purchase? How about you Turtleback/Patriot kids- do you regret or would change anything about your purchase? If you are running a trailer of any kind, how well did your suspension handle it? Did airbags make a difference if you have them?
Did you ever get your trailer stuck? If so- how and how did you get it out? I think recovery tales like that are more stories for safety and experience than an opportunity to be made fun of- I really want to hear as well in case I get a trailer and get it stuck, I have some idea of how to think through the problem for a solution.

As you can see, I am in the market in the foreseeable future and just wanted to pick your memories and experiences both good and bad for a rookie like me. To confess, right now I have a slight bias towards a teardrop- here in the Pacific NW I feel like a nice dry warm shelter that is immediate and extends my camping and hiking season would be fab, but I also want to be able to explore and not be deterred from technical terrain as well. I wanted to try and make it to an Overland Expo event and see some of these trailers in person, but Covid-19 kind of jacked up my travel plans earlier this year.

Lastly for the trailer crowd, do you ever worry someone will hitch up and steal your trailer while you are gone from camp?

Thoughts fellas? I really appreciate any input and thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post as well.

-SK

Daz7

I've been through this before deciding to build my own off road Teardrop type of camper.

My take.

I'm not too keen on canvas, the teardrop gives me a stop and crawl into a ready made, comfortable bed option.

I like being able to unhitch the camper and get full offroadability back without the high COG, wind drag and inability to leave camp without packing up of a RTT.

The Patriot type of camper option, they weigh similar to my teardrop and you're back into Canvas camping, not all that keen because of those issues.

Kep01

After having several options over the years I have an off grid trailer. Bed ready to go anytime. Kitchen, and a shower and weighs 1800 pounds total. Pulls great and easy to maneuver on tough trails. Independent suspension to provide a good ride behind my Jeep as well. To me it’s the way to go. Never have to worry about anything with storms and bad weather. Also unless someone has a max coupler hitch then they can’t hook to mine. Plus I lock the hitch as well.
e8edbd8f0f338284e764cad1e3601987.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skpdx

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate your input, I hope more people chime in as well- I'd like to hear how everyone else likes / dislikes their rigs. I also think I will end up going to one of the Overland Expo events to take a look and see some of these units up close before I pull the trigger. Hey Kep01, would you be okay if I messaged you? I have a couple of questions about your off grid trailer, main one being- when you flip down the stove and sink module, is there gas already connected and ready to fire up, or do you have to flip down and then hook up a hose, etc. Same thing for the water heater cabinet on the other side, do you have to connect it or is it ready to rock?

Thanks again fellas for your input.-
SK

Kep01

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate your input, I hope more people chime in as well- I'd like to hear how everyone else likes / dislikes their rigs. I also think I will end up going to one of the Overland Expo events to take a look and see some of these units up close before I pull the trigger. Hey Kep01, would you be okay if I messaged you? I have a couple of questions about your off grid trailer, main one being- when you flip down the stove and sink module, is there gas already connected and ready to fire up, or do you have to flip down and then hook up a hose, etc. Same thing for the water heater cabinet on the other side, do you have to connect it or is it ready to rock?

Thanks again fellas for your input.-
SK

Message me. I’ll shoot you my number.

billiebob

I only see one down side to the RTT on the roof and that is once setup you're not going anywhere. You need beer, toilet paper you have to pack the RTT to move the vehicle.

RTT on an Expo Trailer solves that issue. Plus you never need to worry about parkades. I was close to doing this but I really did not want a tent.

TearDrop, SquareDrop. The big advantage is setup time, packup time, security. The downside, yes it is a bigger than an Expo Trailer. BUT what I love is zero setup. Park in the dark, roll into bed, done. Wake up to rain, roll out of bed and drive away. Plus it can be packed full time. Get off work Friday, couple up, stop for beer and groceries and go. Get home late. Drop the trailer and go to work. I do this all year long. It makes winter camping effortless. Even without a heater they are so compact two people generate plenty of warmth.

I pack only what I need and fully loaded I weigh 1500#. I started with a landscape trailer and built a box, 5x10x4 high. It follows my Rubi everywhere. The trailer new was $1100, 700#. The box weighs 500#. Add 300# of bedding, cooler, water, food, clothing and at 1500# it is ready to camp for a week. If built with all new materials the basic box would have cost $800. If you use RV windows and doors, add a few thousand dollars but I used materials I had, the windows are old residential plate glass sliders which I got from a house being demolished. Those windows were the inspiration to start the build since they were free. All the hardware, hinges etc are basic hardware store fence and gate stuff.

DSCN1473.jpeg

I looked for a few years at all the factory built stuff over $10K but I hated the lack of quality. The only factory build I like is the Hiker. And it is pretty reasonable well under $10K and starting at $3K for the smallest box.

Last edited:

billiebob

A few specific reasons I built my own beyond $$$$. I wanted to store my Jeep doors in the trailer.

IMG_1290.jpg

And I wanted a bright, open, airy trailer so I used a translucent roof panel, used on semi trailers. $110 for a 5x10 panel.
If you stay away from anything sold as "RV Equipment" you will save thousands of $$$

DSCN1471.jpg

billiebob

This is a long ways away, but its been for sale a long time, Id offer $10K. It might be one of the biggest square drops out there and it has AC, furnace, hot water......

I am in a similar situation. My problem with a rooftop tent on my vehicle is that my vehicle top is not rated for a super heavy tent. They are too heavy to take on and off often. With a tent on the top of my vehicle I can't use my garage. I would have to leave the tent on my vehicle through the camping season. Sometimes I want to drive a different vehicle.. depending on the number of folks travelling. The NM sun can be really harsh. For all of these reasons I am considering a trailer with a rooftop tent. I would like to be able to store it in the garage when I don't use it. (Hopefully I can store some of our equipment in it) I can pull it with any of our bigger vehicles.

I am considering Ruger Trailers. They are not a super long drive from NM and they seem to make a decent product. I am not handy with tools so making my own is not an option. My better half is handicapped so I will need an annex with the rooftop tent that he can sleep in.

I would also like to hear about other trailers.. pros and cons.. Do you have much maintenance with one of these ? Feelings on a slide out kitchen ?

I hope to get a tent that has a liner. It can get really cold in the mountains(35 degrees F in the summer) at night.

Thank you!

billiebob

Do you have much maintenance with one of these ?
If it is parked inside most trailers are pretty much maintenance free. RTTs need to be dry when packed away for the winter.
Cooking outdoors is fabulous. But I say minimize the moving parts. I'd sooner do something with a hinged door than a slider.

If it is parked inside most trailers are pretty much maintenance free. RTTs need to be dry when packed away for the winter.
Cooking outdoors is fabulous. But I say minimize the moving parts. I'd sooner do something with a hinged door than a slider.

Thank you!

Voiceness

After having several options over the years I have an off grid trailer. Bed ready to go anytime. Kitchen, and a shower and weighs 1800 pounds total. Pulls great and easy to maneuver on tough trails. Independent suspension to provide a good ride behind my Jeep as well. To me it’s the way to go. Never have to worry about anything with storms and bad weather. Also unless someone has a max coupler hitch then they can’t hook to mine. Plus I lock the hitch as well.
e8edbd8f0f338284e764cad1e3601987.jpg

I have the same trailer. Quick question; How do you lock your Max Coupler hitch?

Voiceness

Great post. Great questions. I have went through many evolutions. I tend to crawl with jeepers that are more agile than my 100 series and stopped myself from breaking my rig at the Rubicon gate-keeper (without a trailer). So I have limits. Loved my Fleetwood Pop Up Evolution 2 for many years... flipped the axel, added solar, really roomy. But it was still a bit big to bring on more difficult trails. After camping with just the cruiser using an ARB awning with a zip-in room (which is pretty awesome), didn't like having to remove and stow it for day trips. Same problem as the RTT. Didn't want a RTT on my rig because I bring a canoe sometimes and my rack get pretty full.

Started down the path of off-road trailers. I found so many but really in 2 categories; sleep-in or sleep-on. I'm ok with sleep-on trailers that are smaller with RTT: Loved the Turtleback, patriots, and some pretty incredible home-made ones. Turns out the sleep-in options are all more money.

BUT then there is the wife factor. With few exceptions for guys trips, I really like it when she's able to join us. She was really attracted to the protection of the sleep-in designs, especially with a furnace for the cold nights. I wasn't crazy about the 2 person limit so I found the Off Grid with the RTT to be a great solution. They say $20k range but by the time you get the goodies, you're really looking at well over $30k. I've owned it for 4 months and have been out 5 times- and it's not even summer ! Really love how it handles the systems all work well. Off-Grid and 23Zero have been great with aftermarket support for small stuff. I didn't like having to finance the balance after selling the pop-up but it's been paying off.

The trailer is all-aluminum with an incredible build quality. The awnings and tent are really the top in their class. So far, it has been really agile. I do have some tough trips ahead; Shuteye Peak- in the High Sierra, and a few others up there with some narrow passages. Independent Timbren suspension is working really well in rough/rocky areas. Love just pulling over and crawling in to an 8' queen bed.

I can now accommodate 6 people if I use my awning room but that would be rare. Super easy for the usual 2 plus 2 in the RTT rooftop "guest room", which is perfect for naps. I have officially named the trailer "The Bull":

IMG_9397s.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9608s.jpg
    IMG_9608s.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Adam_Cole

My experience:
Phase 1 - grew up ground camping; always loved the simplicity and easy set-up. Unfortunately living in The NW it rains a lot, large tarps overhead and moats around the tent are necessary when camping in the fall and winter. Seeing as I do a lot of steelhead fishing in a rainforest in the winter getting off the ground was necessary.

Phase 2 - Tepui RTT on my 4runner for comfort and staying off the ground. Really loved the RTT, especially in late spring, summer, and early fall but wasn’t thrilled with it in the winter. Also hated that once we were set up, we weren’t going anywhere. Hard to maintain camp sites and fish on the same trip.

Phase 3 - Homemade Off-road trailer with RTT. Loved the ability to drop the trailer and have an established campsite while being able to take the vehicle up or down river. Had this set up for 2 years and traveled the western states extensively. After a long 5 week trip chasing trout in 5 different states, we realized we needed something more secure and insulated than a RTT. Plus, I absolutely hated the RTT in the wind.

Phase 4 - Sold the Trailer and RTT and purchased a So-Cal Krawler last year. This has checked all the boxes plus some and have absolutely loved everything about it. Even took it up to our ski mountain and stayed in 9 degree weather using a diesel heater I put together; cabin stayed a nice cozy 68 degrees all night long. We are no longer bound by bad weather or wind which allows us to get out more often.

Kep01

I have the same trailer. Quick question; How do you lock your Max Coupler hitch?

I use a receiver hitch pin lock. Can get just about anywhere. Thing is if someone wants to steal it they will find a way but maybe I can make it hard enough for them they get discouraged and leave it alone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk