New 01 Montero Sport! Newbie needs advice please. New to Montero's and 4wds

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Glad you got the 4wd lights fixed. I chased solenoids till I got fed up and bypassed all of it.

For lifts on Sports there are a few options:
1: No lift, really you can fit 265's stock so unless you want bigger lifting is pretty pointless especially given the already extremely limited front end travel (this is the route I went, but used all new bilsteins and airlifts for when I actually have a load, works great). So far clearance hasn't been an issue. Plus I don't need to regear, I retain decent fuel economy, and not exposing the drivetrain to extra wear/tear
2: OME, you can get the 2" coils and stiffer torsions or just buy coils and crank the torsion bars. The torsions are only needed if you plan on running a heavy front bumper.
3: Iron Man 4x4 same thing as OME but suddenly more expensive for no apparent reason

redraif

The uphill battle begins
So I got a brief minute to look up under the Monty last week after I picked it up from the shop. Then in the AM when I went to look some more, I noticed a nice 9in circle of tranny fluid on the ground. So straight back to the shop. Grrrr...

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Ok I wanted to update everyone.
Number 1: The beast finally passed emissions! Whoot! Turns out the new EGR solenoid was defective. Figured this out after the intake was cleaned! Grrrr.... But we have a tag again. :)

But after 30 miles of errands we have a p0431 code again. :( But I still got the tag first :D

Still have the tranny fluid leak, but the tranny code has not come back. I'm hoping it was a temporary issue due to the mud and was a "stored" code. Tomorrow I will have the tech check the leak again and see if he can pinpoint it. He thought is was the pan, but prior to this it had a transfer case leak. I want to be sure its not that.

Now on to number 2: 2 inch body lift is COMPLETE! :D
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...wd-Body-amp-suspension-lift-info-needed/page2

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
I will post some soon. We had rain for 3 days straight. I was working on it inside so I could not take any pics of it overall. So as soon as we get some sun I will get pics. I will take some before new tires as well to show the progression

jlocster

Explorer
redraif, glad you're getting things squared away. If you didn't know already, the Montero Sport is also known as the Challenger and Nativa in other parts of the world. You might be able to pick up some additional info if you incorporate those search terms in your quest to find a lift.

Good luck!

redraif

The uphill battle begins
Let's see some pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

before the body lift...

20141206_153656.jpg

20141206_153815.jpg

here is the rig with the 2 inch body lift.

tmp_10283-20150110_1557491484742756.jpg

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
redraif, glad you're getting things squared away. If you didn't know already, the Montero Sport is also known as the Challenger and Nativa in other parts of the world. You might be able to pick up some additional info if you incorporate those search terms in your quest to find a lift.

Good luck!

I had read that. Thanks for the reminder. I will do some searches with those names and see if I can get some additional info.

JordanM/S

Off Road Enthusiast
I need a body lift and bigger tires. How do you like your body lift? I was thinking of contacting 4crawler and have him custom make me some body blocks. What size tires do you have again? I have 31's now and would love 35's but i doubt I could fit 35s ever...So 33's it is

Last edited:

redraif

The uphill battle begins
I have 285/75r16... approx 33s.

I like it great so far. I love the look. Still getting used to it honestly. Everything I own is lowered so it's quite the change. :)

I would say if you want 35s... you would need the 2in body lift and a 2 inch suspension lift. From what I read it will be hard on the truck and you may need gears to help it get up and go.

JordanM/S

Off Road Enthusiast
Well I have the 2" suspension lift covered. Now I just need a 2" body lift I guess! 35's would be SWEET! I'm already pretty high off the ground now with just my 31's and the 2 inch suspension lift. I can't imagine Helga with 35's and 4" of lift. Haha...craziness

redraif

The uphill battle begins
I will post some soon. We had rain for 3 days straight. I was working on it inside so I could not take any pics of it overall. So as soon as we get some sun I will get pics. I will take some before new tires as well to show the progression

I just realized I never updated this with pics... LOL! :(

tmp_17276-20150308_112053-850832847.jpg

tmp_17276-20150308_112108750967384.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater