New 98 ZJ.

VE2WHZ

Adventurer
Thanks for all the information. I really liked the coil spacer kit from the rubicon express website. The kit said the biggest tire you can run with this kit is only a 30 in. I would like 31's. VE2WHZ said he got 31's with a 2 inch spacers. So would I have to do some trimming, how does lifting the vehicle affect the suspension geometry?

just put coil space 2'' (max) for 31
no triming (i have run with the original bumper few time no problem)

i have chabged the front bumper ...

just one little problem with 31 is
full turn the stering the tire hang on upper arm (is very minor)

is the great mod for low budget ...

2'' coil space
2 shock on rear
on front the original shock is good but limit ....(the best change the shock front also for 2'' more long)

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
x whatever on Rocky Road.

KOR or IRO will both get you taken care of very well. Kevin from KOR is a good friend of mine and I've spent several thousand with him over the years.

A budget boost will be a good start, but eventually you will want to go bigger. Especially seeings how the budget boost still uses the stock coils, and for most ZJs the coils are pretty close to worn out. I've had a lot of success on 3 different ZJ's using a franken-lift of 3.5" RE coils, RE adjustable control arms, KOR front trackbar, JKS rear trackbar, Currie steering, and anything from the cheapie RE shocks to nice OME's. My wife's ZJ and my dad's ZJ both run that setup still, one on 31's and the other on 32's. I moved my ZJ over to Clayton's Long Arms, RE 4.5" coils, and 35's with quite a bit of trimming.

FrozenZJ

Welcome to the world of the ZJ! :sombrero:

There are tons of mods for this rig and you cant go wrong. You also cant go wrong with Kevin (KOR). He knows what he is doing and he's a good guy.

You should be fine with a 2" BB and 31 inch tires. You might have too bend in the pinch seam at the rear of the front wheel wells down on the bottom but I think thats about it.

Pic of mine. Lots you can do!

shellyrocksnov28066l.jpg

Last edited:

adventure man

^ wow your zj looks great. I'm still deciding on what brand to get for my coil space lift. I'm pretty sure I will get the kit from the rubicionexpress website. Thanks for all the info.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
If you're just going to do the budget boost, I would not recommend going to a 265/75R16 or 32" tire. I have done that on 2 different ZJ's, and while I don't mind the trimming required to make them work, it's a little too much for most.

adventure man

I don't mind doing the trimming if it will make the tire fit better. Would 2.25 inch spacer make much of a difference in the amount I would have to trim? Would I only need to trim the front bumper?

Booner

Observer
I am running Hankook MT 32s on my 98 ZJ with a BDS 3 inch and 1 inch spacers. I have the BDS disconnects and have trimmed the front bumper. Minimal rubbing on the driver's side control arm at full stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk