New additions to my GEN3!

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

Jaynen

Adventurer
The 03 has a rear LSD? I think I keep getting confused because some had a LSD and then they got the traction control (or do they have both?)

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
The 03 has a rear LSD? I think I keep getting confused because some had a LSD and then they got the traction control (or do they have both?)

I believe you're spot on about dropping the LSD (after 2002), and adding the traction control.
(My bad...should have looked closer at his signature, not all Gen. III's are created equal.)

cnutco

Adventurer
I will start with the ARB compressor and rear locker first. I do like the traction control but it is no where near a locker! I do a lot of exploring on my own and I like the confidence of lockers.

The bad thing is that the Montero Fund is empty at the moment. Keeping my kid in college comes first $$$. Mods will have to wait a little while, but that's okay she is looking pretty good as is now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnutco

Adventurer
Still saving up for some more ARB additions, but in the meanwhile I wanted to get rid of the OE horn. I bought a set of Hella Supertones.

3esumuhu.jpg

Compared to the OE.

9uhubaju.jpg

I decided to replace the two OE horns in the grill. I hooked both up in the original position without the relay. I used each of the horns mounting bolts as the grounding point for each. Be sure that with the mounting bar up, the ground tab is the lower of the two as pictured below.

sutabyja.jpg

I did not get a good ground when I put the grounding ring in-between the mounting bar of the horn and the upright due to the paint. When I moved the ring on top of the mounting bar and then bolted through, it did fine.

I decided to see if there were a difference using the relay. Other than a hell of a lot more wire and time; no difference. Anyway I mounted the relay close to the battery just for testing purposes.

yzy4age5.jpg

I ran two wires down to the horns. One with a flat tab to go inside one of the OE horn plugs to send signal to the relay and the other to send power from the relay to the two horns. I grounded the relay to the mounting bolt of the third OE horn. To power the relay I ran a wire from the battery to the relay without a fuse for testing. Works the same as no relay.

This is what they look like from below my ARB Bullbar.

suburuje.jpg

Last edited:

jhill15

Explorer
Nice man! They are way bigger than the oem horns. Looks good! Did you do a before and after sound clip or vid?

cnutco

Adventurer
They do make a difference. I was hoping for a deeper tone, but I'm happy with the outcome.

I also added some "Jeep Flare"...

343bc4a5f07c1cfaca867c088cc59fcf.jpg
4c5aa8387d152e624d15725019b7bab8.jpg

As if the Montero needs anymore "Oh ****" handles. These have more standard than I have ever seen in any other vehicle, but they do give something to hold on for the person riding in the middle of the middle row seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach