New Defender Concept

Red90

Adventurer
One thing I think we can be sure about is that it will be well above $35K and probably over $50k which makes this argument moot for most of us.

But it shouldn't/ They "should" be making something to compete with the Wrangler. same price point, better off road. Easy to do if the wanted and would make a lot of money. Unforunately there is nobody at the Land Rover design department that has even been off road.

Yes, but coil springs, no electronics and independent suspension makes it useless off road.

Simply no?

Coil springs useless how?
Independent suspension is useless offroad?

I guess we might as well say anything with less than 31" tires is useless too. Because 32" is nessisary to do ANYTHING.

I offroad pretty frequently in my lr3. Love it more capable stock than my 98 discovery. And FAR more reliable

LtFuzz

Explorer
But it shouldn't/ They "should" be making something to compete with the Wrangler. same price point, better off road. Easy to do if the wanted and would make a lot of money. Unforunately there is nobody at the Land Rover design department that has even been off road.

Yeah, problem is they're far too entrenched in the US luxury market to market themselves otherwise.

waggoner5

If they chuck all of the complexity and expense of the other models on this truck to give it the appearance of off road capability, they have completely missed the point of the model.

Just what Toyota did with the FJ. Pissed us Land Cruiser guys off, but sold the crap out of them. I have to say that the green one is kind of cool as a crewcab, but the white one is what they should build minus the jeep emblem and the leaf spring suspension of course. It looks to be a concept based on the D110, but I found it on a Jeep site.

Attachments

• defender.jpg
    defender.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 30
  • jeep-commando.jpg
    jeep-commando.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Just what Toyota did with the FJ. Pissed us Land Cruiser guys off, but sold the crap out of them. I have to say that the green one is kind of cool as a crewcab, but the white one is what they should build minus the jeep emblem and the leaf spring suspension of course. It looks to be a concept based on the D110, but I found it on a Jeep site.
I really like the white concept!!! Now that would be a new Defender!!! One Hell of a lot better than the crap concept this whole thread has been talking about!!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
That white "jeep commando"

is an Iveco massive with some photo shopped name tags

3 ltr turbo diesel truck -aimed at taking over from its cousin the defender as tatra make it all wimpy

1IvecoMassifcarreview.jpg

Red90

Adventurer
That is SOOOOoooooooo wrong.

Those darn LR3's. They're no good off-road at all.

With all due respect...I have a lot of experience wheeling with LR3s, LR4 and new RRs. I do know what I'm taking about. The electronics can make them perform well on moderate terrain in the right conditions. But they can't do anything hard and with the conditons a certain way, they can be useless.

The video links show the type of thing that they are decent at, high traction moderate trails.

It is all the electronics making it happen, making up for a horribly designed base suspension system.

It is not the type of thing that should be repsresented as a Defender. They need to look to what Jeep has done with the JK and do better.

With all due respect...I have a lot of experience wheeling with LR3s, LR4 and new RRs. I do know what I'm taking about. The electronics can make them perform well on moderate terrain in the right conditions. But they can't do anything hard and with the conditons a certain way, they can be useless.

The video links show the type of thing that they are decent at, high traction moderate trails.

It is all the electronics making it happen, making up for a horribly designed base suspension system.

It is not the type of thing that should be repsresented as a Defender. They need to look to what Jeep has done with the JK and do better.

I understand that, after a certain point, the new platforms just can't handle really difficult terrain. But I really don't see the relevance of that to this website. This isn't Pirate4x4.

SCRover

Adventurer
must admit, i can't recall the last time i "watched" two Canadians argue. :D

in all seriousness, both you guys have valid points. the capability argument gets tossed around everytime a new rig pops up. as we all know, however, the vast majority of buyers don't wheel their trucks and if they do, it's all easy to moderate terrain anyway. and those that do hit the hard stuff apply mods as needed, generally.

comes down to bottom line for the auto makers - Toyota scored with the FJ. Their market testing may be better than Tata's/LR's though... only time will tell.

Wander

Expedition Leader
That white "jeep commando"

is an Iveco massive with some photo shopped name tags

3 ltr turbo diesel truck -aimed at taking over from its cousin the defender as tatra make it all wimpy

1IvecoMassifcarreview.jpg

Now wouldn't that be something if Fiat decides to bring the massive over here to sell as Jeep's. I kind of doubt it as it would compete with the Wrangler but that as that is essentially a Defender copy tjat could be an interesting choice.

yloDiscoii

Observer
Before we come to any WILD conclusions about how well the FJ Cruiser is selling....

FJ Cruiser Sales Figures
2006 56,225
2007 55,170

2008 28,688
2009 11,941
2010 14,959

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Wonder what those FJC sales figures look like normalized across all tuck segments...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal