New FWC Grandby Shell

schunkb

Observer
I haven't carried anything yet. I do have a yakima roof box, but I haven't used it since putting the grandby on, so I think it's time for it to hit craigslist, especially since I've almost convinced myself to pull the trigger on an aluminess bumper with a couple deluxe boxes. I plan on having Chris at Rocky Mountain FWC install the struts soon. It is a pig to raise for sure.

schunkb

Observer
Just got finished installing my aluminess front bumper. :) Please disregard the dirty truck. Bumper weighed 15lbs heavier than stock bumper it replaced, and beyond the protection and added functionality (somewhere to stuff the winch), I think it makes the truck look quite a bit better too. :)

image.jpg
image.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
Any more updates? I'm looking at ordering a similar shell with AC for my long bed Dodge and am combing through all the pictures I can find. How's the interior working out?

schunkb

Observer
The interior has worked out pretty well Scoutman. I haven't really made any major changes since the updated pictures this summer. The gas struts are amazing, although when the temps drop down near 0, they get pretty sticky and don't seem to aid very much. The aluminess bumper was worth every penny. After living with this setup over the last couple years now, I'm very satisfied. Like any vehicle/camper combo, there are compromises. What I like least about the rig is keeping 17k worth of mountain bikes on a rack off the rear porch. Next vehicle setup will definitely have a secure gear garage. The pop top does okay for winter camping, but dealing with the condensation, especially when the thermometer drops into the single digits gets kind of old. Next setup will be hardsided/fully insulated. I knew that going in, and these are very minor gripes.

If I got the chance to reorder the shell from the factory again, I'd only make a few changes. I'd add the built-in stovetop (solely for the convenience of easy water heating for showers/morning coffee). I'd probably seriously consider adding the front dinette as well. Using the existing ledges as seating isn't terrible, but it's not somewhere you'd want to hang out for multiple hours. I might re-arrange my modular cabinet setup and put in a dinette of some kind. I'd also add a second roof vent over the sleeping area.

Now the things I'm still 100% in love with: Modular water system. The scepter cans work great, and the little 12v pump mod is really handy. Love the camp chef stove with the sherpa table combo. Combined with my portable chuck box setup and stout travelchair grand canyon camp table, I have plenty of space to prepare meals.

My biggest advice if you go with a shell, is don't build anything permanent until you've spent 14 nights or so in it. Seeing how you shuffle your gear, where you like to hang out, how you access your fridge, etc. will be invaluable when you start building your cabinets and storage. If you ever have any questions, feel free to message me.

Scoutman

Explorer
The interior has worked out pretty well Scoutman. I haven't really made any major changes since the updated pictures this summer. The gas struts are amazing, although when the temps drop down near 0, they get pretty sticky and don't seem to aid very much. The aluminess bumper was worth every penny. After living with this setup over the last couple years now, I'm very satisfied. Like any vehicle/camper combo, there are compromises. What I like least about the rig is keeping 17k worth of mountain bikes on a rack off the rear porch. Next vehicle setup will definitely have a secure gear garage. The pop top does okay for winter camping, but dealing with the condensation, especially when the thermometer drops into the single digits gets kind of old. Next setup will be hardsided/fully insulated. I knew that going in, and these are very minor gripes.

If I got the chance to reorder the shell from the factory again, I'd only make a few changes. I'd add the built-in stovetop (solely for the convenience of easy water heating for showers/morning coffee). I'd probably seriously consider adding the front dinette as well. Using the existing ledges as seating isn't terrible, but it's not somewhere you'd want to hang out for multiple hours. I might re-arrange my modular cabinet setup and put in a dinette of some kind. I'd also add a second roof vent over the sleeping area.

Now the things I'm still 100% in love with: Modular water system. The scepter cans work great, and the little 12v pump mod is really handy. Love the camp chef stove with the sherpa table combo. Combined with my portable chuck box setup and stout travelchair grand canyon camp table, I have plenty of space to prepare meals.

My biggest advice if you go with a shell, is don't build anything permanent until you've spent 14 nights or so in it. Seeing how you shuffle your gear, where you like to hang out, how you access your fridge, etc. will be invaluable when you start building your cabinets and storage. If you ever have any questions, feel free to message me.

Sounds like you need to sell me your shell so you can go get a hardside. :sombrero: Seriously though, I just contacted the Rocky Mtn FWC dealer and we'll see what they come back with. I agree that spending some time in it with temp arrangements will definitely help with getting a better idea of what we want to make permanent. I've sketched out many notes of what I think will work but that's only in concept. Of course that is one of the benefits to the shell.

Gas struts are on my list of add ons. As far as a stove I'm planning to use the little one burner butane units for quick stuff like morning coffee. Anything more than that will be the partner stove outside.

Does your door touch the foxwing? One of the options I'm on the fence about is getting the rear awning.

Did you get the king (north/south) sleeping arrangement or did you just go with the standard queen (east/west)? (Edit, nevermind, just saw you got the king)

How well does the AC cool the Grandby down?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk