New guy, just bought a military trailer

Tooner

Observer
I towed the trailer home this afternoon and for a rusty old timer it towed really well. I could see (and feel) the difference between the old Brantford and this one; it was like night and day. I'll take a wild guess and say the difference is the torsion axle on this one compared to the leaf springs on the Brantford. I'm thinking I would like to first like to extend the tongue on this one and get rid of that round tube coupler, where the tongue braces meet would be a good place for the Battery and maybe electricals. I don't want to get too crazy, i'm not a fabricator and I don't want to spend a ton; this is a budget build. Before any of the aforementioned items get addressed I have to clean it up but an early inspection revealed the tub is welded to the frame, I'm gonna see what I can do as far as cleaning it up while its in one piece.

Tooner

Observer
Today I learned that the shop that I work for has a welder. Its a Hobart 140 inert gas type. They use it to weld up post & panel sign frames, mostly aluminum. I can probably get access to this machine and perhaps teach myself to weld. Is this machine suitable for welding up a new tongue?

bunger

Adventurer
Today I learned that the shop that I work for has a welder. Its a Hobart 140 inert gas type. They use it to weld up post & panel sign frames, mostly aluminum. I can probably get access to this machine and perhaps teach myself to weld. Is this machine suitable for welding up a new tongue?

That machine runs on 115 vac and is only 140 Amp rating.
It's probably great for doing small projects like those signs and it would probably do good welding sheet metal, but I wouldn't trust doing any heavy welding like any part of a trailer frame, especially the tongue.

Tooner

Observer
Thanks for the info, I should still probably take the opportunity to use it just to learn the technique, at some point that trailer is going to get a new tongue, I would like to do my own work but I'll sub if I have no alternative. I'm thinking that if I do all the prep I might be able to save a few bucks.

Tooner

Observer
I have spent several weeks working in my RTT I am almost to the point of fitting everything together before finish, The trailer is still in need of mechanicals but the opportunities for working outside have been few and far between.
2013-06-10 08.30.11.jpg
A shot of my humble beginnings.
2013-06-10 10.14.05.jpg
My side rails
2013-06-10 10.30.10.jpg
Dry fitted to the trailer
2013-06-10 12.58.41.jpg
Back in the shop for assembly
2013-06-14 16.14.06.jpg
The first truss.

Tooner

Observer
Thanks Mark. The first truss was actually the second truss. I made a second prototype using all my corrections from the first and it came out much better. In other words truss two was a keeper. Moving on to making the last four I used 4 sheets of 1/4" ply 8"x55" which I screwed together and drew my pattern on the top of the first one. I used my drill press to pilot the holes for my "holes" and my band saw to cut out the perimeter. the last step to make my spines was to cut out all the holes (48) on the drill press. Once that was done I had my spines.
2013-06-26 15.12.38.jpg

Tooner

Observer
The first prototype had some corner trim that was a bit complex, too complex for milling so I simplified the design, drew a pattern and used clear pine from my scrap pile to make all 16; drill press with a forstner bit for the radius and the band saw to finish.
2013-06-22 19.29.33.jpg
That was the most time consuming mill operation I had to do. It was much faster to mill up all the 3/4" square stock for all the trim. Here I am , ready to go.
2013-06-26 15.12.51.jpg

Tooner

Observer
All of this woodworking will eventually be finished to look like metal so for the trusses I wanted the trim to be "riveted" to the spines. my solution to this problem was to use wood screws and finish washers. These washers hold the screws "proud" of the surface as opposed to counter sinking. Once i had one done I filled all the phillips head screws with spot putty and cleaned them up; I now have a riveted truss.
DSCI0004.JPG
42 "Rivets" per truss

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks like a good submission to Popular Mechanics magazine HOW TO section.
Make some money with this great work. Excellent work.

Tooner

Observer
Thanks guys. I have been experimenting with my finishes and my first attempt came out pretty good. I want to set it next to the trailer so I can adjust the colors if necessary.
2013-07-28 13.27.07.jpg

Tooner

Observer
Time to check my work. Since the trailer is currently off-site I loaded up my Jeep and headed out to my brother's house to dry fit everything before I assemble it all together.
DSCI0003.JPG
So far so good. I'm always a little nervous to take a measurement then make the cut 6 miles away. The rule definitely applies here; measure twice, cut once. Now that I am satisfied with the fit I'll move on to framing the platform itself.
For the platform I will be using 1x2 and 1x3 pine. The rear half will mount to the trusses and the front half and single truss will fold over the rear. I have begun the rear by cutting all my framework to size and half-lapping all the joints.
2013-07-07 13.52.07.jpg

VDBAZFJ

Adventurer
Wow! You are definitely going to have THE most impressive lid around! That literally looks like artwork rather than a garage built lid!

Very nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz