New guy; new 4th gen Tacoma build-up thread

dta

So I have been lurking around this forum off and on for the odd piece of advice the last couple of years. I found it to be a great resource just by using search functions, but since I am looking at doing a semi-significant build-out I figured it was was high time to actually sign-up and introduce myself.

I have a 2006 Tacoma Double Cab that with about 50K miles on it that has basically served as a gear rig for kayak, MTB, and other random camping trips for several years. Its also my DD in the sense that its my only ride, but since I don't drive to work and it basically sits idle most of the week until its time for the weekend getaway, that is not a really its main purpose. I am looking to build it out into a (more-or-less) legitimate expedition rig for a ~3 month cross county trip coming up this summer with my girlfriend and the hound. After combing through lots of threads on this (and some other) forums I have some basic outline for the build out, but I know I will want to plug the collective wisdom of the group here as my thinking evolves.

As she sits right now my rig is largely stock though she has upgraded boots and minor bed mods. Namely a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers and "go rhino xtreme" rack supporting a set of Yakima bar over the bed.

Current plans call for a full suspension upgrade--OME all around or perhaps Fox up front paired with a stiffer setup in the back, sliders and some real bumpers that have recovery points, perhaps a winch up front--though that is not the first priority given what I do, addition of a roof top tent, possibly getting a custom can-back type setup made to stretch over the current rack setup, upgraded battery, and a home-made bed platform with a drawer or removable plastic tub setup.

I'll add more to this thread as my thinking, and the build itself, both evolve. Thanks for the great resource and I look forward to everyone's advice.

dta

Quick protocol question

So I have searched around a bunch, but still am new to this forum. If I have specific questions about my thinking on say my RTT mounting setup do to people recommend posting them on a the build thread or is it considered better to start a separate thread (or add on to an old one) about RTT mounting options?
Thanks.

dta

Thanks for that link. I had seen that thread before. Has a lot of good info.

My most recent musing on RTT mounting has been about possibly bolting the whole thing to a super heavy duty custom slide setup so that I could mount it over a gear storage platform just above bed rail height, but still under my rack setup which is about cab high. I have around 20 inches in between those so there is enough room for pretty much any tent when folder up. I would love something where I could keep boats and other gear mounted to the current rack above all that when needed, without having to pull them to setup the tent, but still have the tent easily accessible. I haven't thought it all out yet, but the concept is something like a slide tray that the tent sits on and that sits over the bed when driving, but can be pulled out behind when parked. I figured if I use real heavy duty slides or some kind of custom heavy duty 1 inch steel box setup with legs that droop down to the ground on the far extended portion when deployed I can get four points of contact with good weight support when its all extended. Ever heard of anyone doing anything like this? I have searched, but come up with nothing so far.

As to the Tacoma gen reference thanks for that. I have seen people refer to the current iteration both as 2nd and 4th gen. Not sure where the 4th thing comes from. Had always assumed that it was major vs. minor platform upgrades, but could have just been bad info perpetuating itself.

Applejack

Explorer
I know that you have a long XC trip coming up but is that going to include a fair amount of off roading? The reason I ask is with regard to your suspension setup vs. $$. I had previously built up an '05 Taco DC and while the rear springs were an issue that had to be dealt with (OME Dakar) the front was just fine with the stock TRD O/R Bilstein's with a 2.5 inch spacer as long as th the front wasn't getting beat on all day long, and that was with an ARB bar and winch to boot. In retrospect I am really impressed with all the abuse it did take. Loaded down and in some very unforgiving conditions at times. Don't get me wrong it was something that I would have liked to change, but it never presented itself as a must do and allowed me to spend my money on other things that were costly and $400+ to redo the front suspension was a cost that for as long as I owned it I never could bring myself to do. However if your budget permits...............go for it.
But I thought I'd throw that out there if you budget is more like mine..........small.:sombrero:

Last edited:

dta

Applejack that is good to know. That all makes sense given my own experience running the truck loaded. I have managed to make the rig work for me pretty well with a full compliment of gear on some legitimate off road terrain here in the mid-atlantic. Most of my miles have been highway, but its worked when its had to for the trails I have been on. It does have the "stiffer" TSB leafs added since I was able to get those put in for free (why not?). While they have made a clear difference the back end still needs to be beefed up. The whole thing is drivable right now with a lot of weight, it just doesn't feel great. Its nice to know I could get away with what I have though; I definitely appreciate getting budget conscious advice. Right now though I am thinking one of the places I am going to want to spend my budget is on making the whole thing ride and handle a little better when loaded and off road. I am also keeping in mind that, with the amount of territory we are looking to cover, total road miles are definitely going to eclipse off road miles.

dta

TacoDoc. Thanks for the welcome. I love your rig and your build thread. That thread is a great resource.

One option I am seriously considering right now is a RTT mount that be pretty similar to your earlier setup. I think I saw somewhere that one of the reasons you changed was that it was a lot of weight to have up that high. I have done a bunch of my miles with close to 200 lbs worth of kayaks up in the same location and while you can definitely feel it I am OK with how it handles. Just gotta take it into account when driving. I am worried though that with still more gear going up over the cab (not going to have a full complement of kayaks up with the tent ever, but there will be some other weight on some trips with the tent as well) it may be too top heavy.

I love the flippac, but I need something that allows me some more flexibility in terms of roof storage. With a RTT in the back I could still do a limited number of short boats or bikes over the cab. For trips with more toys I can always pull the RTT and bring ground camping gear.

I've also been thinking about possibly mounting the tent on some heavy slides so it could be stowed above bed wall height but below the hoops that make up my current rack. I like the idea of having the weight lower and keeping the rack bars open. Obviously the downside is that I would be adding some serious complexity by having the whole thing have to slide out behind the truck before its unfolded.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
As to the Tacoma gen reference thanks for that. I have seen people refer to the current iteration both as 2nd and 4th gen. Not sure where the 4th thing comes from. Had always assumed that it was major vs. minor platform upgrades, but could have just been bad info perpetuating itself.

You're not the only one. Some folks break down the 95.5-2004 Tacomas into 3 or 4 minor generations. But for the uninitiated, it's just 1st and 2nd.....

dta

OME is a great choice at all four corners.

Been searching around as I look to make a final decision on the shocks and keep feeling like I am about to get sucked down the slippery slope of coilovers. I am sure I would be happy with a Fox setup but am not sure its worth parting with the extra cash. I am not looking to race this thing in Baja. On the other hand I am all for having it ride nicer. In any case its nice to hear another vote for the OMEs.

Have you had any issue with spring sag over the long term? I have heard that could be an issue, especially in terms of trim, but most people who got 'em don't seem to complain.

OME is a great choice at all four corners.
Welcome to ExPo!

Thanks for the welcome. I am not usually one to post on forums, but this seems like a nice community here.

dta

You're not the only one. Some folks break down the 95.5-2004 Tacomas into 3 or 4 minor generations. But for the uninitiated, it's just 1st and 2nd.....

Thanks. If someone wants to tell me how to edit thread titles I will change this one over. Otherwise I am just sticking to my story uninitiated or not. :smiley_drive:

barlowrs

Explorer
Welcome, the 2nd gen is a great platform and I love my OME. There is quite a bit of 2nd gen knowlage on this forum, so let the questions fly if you run into issues.

dta

So another random question here. Anyone ever run a Leer DCC style contractor cap on the back of a double cab extra short bed? If so I would love pictures and any info you can give about weight and handling off road.

I am still trying to figure out exactly how I am going to configure my bed. Leading candidate idea is modifying my current rack system and adding a RTT.

Other options include some kind of custom rack that can swing out and use a flip-pac. I have seen this idea floated a few others places. I am sure I could make it work, but it would involve a custom rack and a flip-pac so its a pricey option.

I also was thinking about possibly putting a cap on that had a high weight rating with some real long bars. With that setup I could still put a RTT on top of the cap and have room for boats on one side or on a second rack over the cab.

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3