New Guy with some questions

jgonell1325

So I picked up a tundra truck last year thinking about building it out (overlanding in FL) but having dogs a RTT is out. So I've been looking at overland trailers/camper, been look at all the diy builds, factory ones, youtube videos (probably used up my monthly allocated bandwidth).. I've got an idea of what I want, but still have some questions:

- For those with sinks, where do you route your waste water?
- for those with plywood sides, structural strength a concern? I was thinking of going with 1"x1" metal frame for the shell, which would allow for heavier loads on the roof (old town predator Pdl and other heavy kayaks), but would sacrifice overall trailer weight.
- Camping with dogs: I have two a 75-80lb american bulldog mix and 65 lb GSD mix, the GSD likes to stretch out on our bed at home, and knowing him would probably would do it in a camper as well. How do you manage camping with the dogs?
- most designs I have seen are square back or teardrop. I really like the Sawtooth designs by Jess Neal. My question would be size of trailer frame? I'm leaning on a 5x8 or 5x10, with the galley taking up the last 2-2.5 ft of the trailer.
- exterior - rhino liner, aluminum(expensive), or laminated foam panel (depends on diy or buying)? I've done some fiberglass work in a car audio environment, this would be several times larger, but doable, but also messy.
- Tire well, tucked or not? I'm leaning on not tucking them, giving the trailer a wider stance and gives me the ability to mount some boxes on the exterior for storage..
- Water tank or just bring water jugs? I would like a water heater in the future

really weighing my options with building vs buying a bare bone and building it out, if I can find one near the florida panhandle.. Good thing is I have time, bad part is the some parts are scarce..

Last edited:

Teardropper

These dimensions work:

pyec88A.png

You might take a gander at my galley:

There should be something there to get your head cranking. ;)

Tony

D

Deleted member 9101

Also...you need to plan on having an A/C. Camping anywhere in Florida is miserable with out it....lol.

Porkchopexpress

Does it have a 6.5 foot bed? I'll throw out another option, what about a camper shell with roof rack then put an inflatable mattress that goes around the wheelwells with a foam topper? You run into max gvwr in a Tundra pretty quick. If you have the short bed, I would tow a trailer.

high-and-dry

Okay, you asked a lot of questions. First do you like the new sawtooth or the old sawtooth xl?

You dont need steel to hold weight on the roof, normal teardrop construction methods will support a lot of weight on the roof. If you wanted to do the structural insulated panels like the new sawtooth there are ways to add steel. Mine is similar build methods to Jess and I have steel in the walls to support the poptop opening. If I needed them or not they are there.

Tucked or untucked, Mine is a little of both, I like the looks of a untucked but wanted the width of tucked.

Frame, go for 10 or even 12 foot long if your building an on or gentle off road, my body measures 12, but the frame is 10 foot. If going to be more offroad use go to the smaller side.

I have a 25 gallon water tank, I would do it no other way for a real sized trailer. I drain under it in to a portable waste water tank. I have 2 sinks and hot water with shower.

My trailer as I said is structural insulated panels like Jess, but I am finishing up one with plywood, hand laid fiberglass then sprayed bed liner.

Crappy build thread https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...ow-is-a-pop-top-we-have-a-tent-and-ac.217954/
crappy walk thru video

jgonell1325

Okay, you asked a lot of questions. First do you like the new sawtooth or the old sawtooth xl?

You dont need steel to hold weight on the roof, normal teardrop construction methods will support a lot of weight on the roof. If you wanted to do the structural insulated panels like the new sawtooth there are ways to add steel. Mine is similar build methods to Jess and I have steel in the walls to support the poptop opening. If I needed them or not they are there.

Tucked or untucked, Mine is a little of both, I like the looks of a untucked but wanted the width of tucked.

Frame, go for 10 or even 12 foot long if your building an on or gentle off road, my body measures 12, but the frame is 10 foot. If going to be more offroad use go to the smaller side.

I have a 25 gallon water tank, I would do it no other way for a real sized trailer. I drain under it in to a portable waste water tank. I have 2 sinks and hot water with shower.

My trailer as I said is structural insulated panels like Jess, but I am finishing up one with plywood, hand laid fiberglass then sprayed bed liner.

Crappy build thread https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...ow-is-a-pop-top-we-have-a-tent-and-ac.217954/
crappy walk thru video

if this is the new: yes. I like them both, just don't have the height in my garage to store something that tall so I have to have something that is not more than 79" tall. it could go 12 ft long.

everyone has answered most of my items, with the exception of the dogs, but I have something to work with. I'm looking at all of the links and images. the link to teardrops's book is dead, but I'll try to find it..

1000arms

The above Amazon link to Teardropper's book should be good, but I'll include it again in this post, as well as the information to look it up yourself.

Building a Teardrop Trailer: Plans and Methods for Crafting an Heirloom Camper by author Tony H Latham.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle