New High Altitude Dual Axle Model for ROA?

rehammer81

Just saw an Instagram post by High Altitude Trailers showing off a dual independent "axle" trailer frame with what looks like the Morryde air bag suspension that is being designed for ROA? I'm sure the sticker shock will cool my interest but I'm intrigued. I was wondering what happened to the Roamer X.

@ROA-OFFROAD would you like to let the cat out of the bag and fill us in?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Treefarmer

I talked to HAT last September about a dual axle model. I think I posted it here on one of the threads. They said they would be rolling out a dual axle no sooner than sometime in 2024. Could this be it? I wish they would nail down the details and start delivering the Roamer X and their own models before jumping into the larger dual axle market. That MorRyde suspension was designed specifically for the Palomino Pause. I've talked to MorRyde at their HQ and at the Quartzite RV show. Nobody in sales at MorRyde knows anything about the new suspension because it is OEM only. Maybe they're offering it to HAT now.

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I agree. They have been teasing the 105 for years now. It finally comes to market looks great in my opinion. Then all sorts of confusion (to me) on who is going to be thier dealers. Outback RV in TX and ROA I was told was exclusive. But mostly ROA. Then ROA never really carred the 105 just the Roamer X. That has been delayed I believe it went back to the drawing board as ROA likely wanted Cruisemaster. Now Outback seems like they are the only dealer that has 105's. Now this duel axeled Moryde prototype. Crazy. All this said they do appear to be a decent build but keep getting more expensive.

rehammer81

ROA said that it is the new Roamer X but he can't share anymore until hopefully this summer.

ROA-OFFROAD

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Just saw an Instagram post by High Altitude Trailers showing off a dual independent "axle" trailer frame with what looks like the Morryde air bag suspension that is being designed for ROA? I'm sure the sticker shock will cool my interest but I'm intrigued. I was wondering what happened to the Roamer X.

@ROA-OFFROAD would you like to let the cat out of the bag and fill us in?

We just have far more interest in 'dual axle' trailers than we do with only trailers with 2 tires on the floor. So we just pivoted to make the roamer xl with 4 tires. HATCO makes a great product so we are excited to see how it turns out!

I like the width and layout of the Roamer X.

I guess the 105 is at a size that duel axel does make since. I wonder if the single axel Timbren version is just under preforming off road and possibly with sway on road?

Raspy

I like the width and layout of the Roamer X.

I guess the 105 is at a size that duel axel does make since. I wonder if the single axel Timbren version is just under preforming off road and possibly with sway on road?
Tandem axles have a nice advantage on trailers, and trailers don't really have to be heavy enough to benefit from them. Tandem axle trailers "want" to go straight on the highway, they "step over" ruts and bumps better than single axle trailers, they have a better departure angle and can carry more weight with more braking action. Tandem axles offer real benefits.

rehammer81

I would love to see someone do a tandem axle 20ft total length trailer. Should have great approach and departure angles.

They also add a lot more weight and eat up valuable space from the huge wheel wells. Which is a deal killer for a lot of folks so I wouldn't pivot to far especially when 90% of the trailers on your lot are single axel.

Raspy

They also add a lot more weight and eat up valuable space from the huge wheel wells. Which is a deal killer for a lot of folks so I wouldn't pivot to far especially when 90% of the trailers on your lot are single axel.
There are compromises, but once you get to a size trailer larger than a pop-up style Jeep trailer, which is best with a single axle, and move on to a larger unit with more interior room and one better for traveling, the added weight of tandem axles is a small percentage of the overall weight. And the small amount of lost interior room, under the kitchen counter, or under the dinette seat, is a worthwhile compromise for the added ability and ease of use that a tandem gives. To me, the added stability while towing and the added ability in rough terrain for that size trailer is a a no-brainer. And any proper tow vehicle should have more than enough extra capacity to deal with a couple hundred extra pounds. I tend to put on a lot of highway miles, then drag the trailer through the roughest terrain I can manage. On the way, I stop in the desert or at truck stops, or rest areas for the night. This requires a trailer that doesn't need any setup to stop for a quick break, or for the night. A truck capable enough to deal with highway grades and back road terrain while pulling a 6,000 lb trailer. That means one rated for about 10,000 lbs. A 3/4 or 1 ton rig. I went from a Ram 3500 Cummins, which was a great highway truck, to a Tremor with the 7.3 engine, which does highway and off-road very well. I also went from an Oliver LE2, to a Black Series HQ19, to an X22, and now to a Roamer1. All tandem axle trailers, and all but the Roamer1 have been dragged as far into the back country as possible. Every one went farther in with tandem axles than they ever could have with a single axle. And once there, provided a fine little cabin in the wilderness or on the beach. Pictures to follow.

Raspy

Here are a couple pix: Starting up the Stair Steps at Seven Mile Ridge at Moab, and on the Sonora Pass heading up to Leavitt Lake in the rain.Leavitt 6-1.png

Attachments

• Seven Mile Ridge, Moab.png
    Seven Mile Ridge, Moab.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 26

I don't want to drag a cabin around with me to camp. I want to have a stand up 12 foot box to load my family in with 22 pound mtb bikes and go ride my bike off road. To each his own

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven