new Jeep Compass to include a Trail-Rated model

haven

Expedition Leader
"If Jeep ever gets back to its real meaning and roots, it will sell four vehicles..."

And promptly go out of business. It's clear that Chrysler corporate officials and Jeep dealers want a couple of inexpensive cute-utes to sell as part of the Jeep line. They still sell the Wrangler, so what's the problem?

tommudd

Explorer
If they only made and sold what some want them to they would last one year and be gone.
They have to make other models to stay alive and also to meet CAFE standards.
A CJ/YJ/XJ/TJ/JK is not going to keep Jeep profitable
Plus there are others models that will and do go off road
come and follow along some time :)

Awkragt

Adventurer
I don't understand why Jeep does not shoot for the American version of the WRX and other rally cars possibly with factory support, it seems like a better fit. If they put some power in it and really sorted out the chassis, it could give it some "streetcred" and not make owning one seem like such a bad idea. If not the kids could put Dakar stickers and Fart mufflers on them, Hype the whole thing up and create a Niche'..

I'd get behind this if you're talking Volkswagen Touareg Dakar type vehicle, or a Ford Raptor type SRT trim level for the new Grand Cherokee. I just don't thing the 7 slot works on a car.

That said I would look the other way if we got little fiats rebranded as jeeps because it would help the emmisions standards.

jdemonto

I don't understand why Jeep does not shoot for the American version of the WRX and other rally cars possibly with factory support, it seems like a better fit. If they put some power in it and really sorted out the chassis, it could give it some "streetcred" and not make owning one seem like such a bad idea. If not the kids could put Dakar stickers and Fart mufflers on them, Hype the whole thing up and create a Niche'..

I thought the very same thing would not be hard to do since it already sits on the Lancer platform. The engine is even shared with Mitsubishi.....

Jason

jdemonto

Used to mean something... every Jeep had to be able to cross the Rubicon, without damage, before it got a "Jeep" badge or designation. Until the marketing guys realized they could sell a few more vehicles to the unknowing public by duping them with a "Trail Rated" badge which was earned by tossing on a few more options, nothing more.

If Jeep ever gets back to its real meaning and roots, it will sell four vehicles... a YJ/TJ/JK/LJ type rig, an MJ/J-series type truck, an XJ type SUV and a ZJ/WJ type SUV. Everything else is a waste of production for them.

It would seem but not really true.....

This is where Jeep vehicles earn their "trail Rating" badges. I forget the criteria but the vehicle must score to be trail rated by Jeep standards.

http://www.natc-ht.com/

This may pertain more to Jeep brand vehicles

http://www.natc-ht.com/Ground_Vehicle_Tests.htm

Jason

jeeepguy

Adventurer
Your Jeep can still be "trail rated," even if it's not ready to compete for "King of the Hammers." The Trail Rated badge started in 2004 as a marketing tool. Its criteria are not hard to meet.

See http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/trail_rated/index.html

Exactly, the "Trail Rated" badge is for marketing, nothing more. Plus, your link proves my point. And yes, a rig doesn't need to compete for "King of the Hammers" but a Jeep should meet the minimum capabilities of its predecessors.

If they only made and sold what some want them to they would last one year and be gone.
They have to make other models to stay alive and also to meet CAFE standards.
A CJ/YJ/XJ/TJ/JK is not going to keep Jeep profitable
Plus there are others models that will and do go off road
come and follow along some time :)

You are VERY wrong... look up Jeeps own public records and you will see what makes profit for Jeep and whats dragging it down (hint... it isn't anything they've invented in the last 5 years). And CAFE be damned... another Fed regulation that should be tossed out.

As for your last comment, I challenge YOU to follow me... :coffeedrink: Even the worse of Jeep in the 80's can "outperform" the best of today (other than the JK model).

"If Jeep ever gets back to its real meaning and roots, it will sell four vehicles..."

And promptly go out of business. It's clear that Chrysler corporate officials and Jeep dealers want a couple of inexpensive cute-utes to sell as part of the Jeep line. They still sell the Wrangler, so what's the problem?

Chrysler corporate (DC and after) thinks selling these cute-utes will broaden their brand desire and they have been proven wrong by the sales figures. Just look at when Jeep brought out the Rubi TJ. They couldn't keep them in stock but rather than build more of them, they concentrated on their soccer-mom utes, and failed. But they will continue to try. Its not corporate nature to be happy with ones position but rather keep trying to be more. They will keep trying until they give up or go under. I fear that Jeep will go the way of Olds and Pontiac... so sad.

Jeep would be VERY successful (and profitable) if they used the four model plan... hands down. For those that want the cute-ute, send them to the Dodge side.

Last edited:

tommudd

Explorer
1960s mentality jeepguy
living in Toledo and knowing several people who work there
plus having gone through the plant
I have seen what they build and how many
Look at the real sales fiqures
money made off of other models helps them build better JKs now for you
They would never survive with just one model like you think is the only one they should make

jeeepguy

Adventurer
1960s mentality jeepguy
living in Toledo and knowing several people who work there
plus having gone through the plant
I have seen what they build and how many
Look at the real sales fiqures
money made off of other models helps them build better JKs now for you
They would never survive with just one model like you think is the only one they should make

1960s mentality... really. :coffee:

Pardon me for asking so but did you sit and count the models at every plant/line for a year? Like I said, look at the published sales figures and numbers for Jeep. It will be an eye opener for you. Their own numbers (and subsequent profit/loss) don't lie.

Patriot and Liberty sales are dismal (approx. 5,000 units per month total, even before the economic slump) and due to rebate and incentive programs, have the lowest profit rate of any model in any line in the auto industry. Compass sales average even lower numbers (3,000 or so) but return a slightly higher profit margin. Even the Commander doesn't sell at even half the XJs old sell rate. Only the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler (sells regularly over 10,000 units per month) have maintained or increased sales numbers regularly and are the profit centers for Jeep.

Poll after poll show that if Jeep sold a mid-size SUV and a truck of some type next to the Grand and the Wrangler, they would do better than they do now.

I never said one model, I said back to the four model plan... and eliminate the soccer-mom utes.

tommudd

Explorer
So lets see they should of never built the say the SJ (FSJ)
The Wagoneers were built with women in mind to go to the store and haul kids to ball games etc. One of the first to offer air conditioning again to cater to the women
I have owned Jeeps since 1972 and have wheeled everyone of them
Now I may not agree with the Compass and patriot but i do have my eyes open enough to know that they have to produce a variety of models to get people in the door. If someone buys a "soccer Mom" SUV this year and likes it who says they will not come back and buy something more like you like in a year or two building up the brand.
Why do you think Harley builds so many models, to get people in the door buying their bikes, same with Jeeps
Do away with the soccer mom rides and say goodbye to Jeep as you know it
I agree with the Commander even, what a over loaded ride but some like them so its great for the brand and look at KJ numbers before they tried to make it look like a XJ sales were at a all time high before the change

haven

Expedition Leader
Jeep has released some photos of the new Compass
Here it is next to a Grand Cherokee

jeep-compass-1.jpg

Here's an action shot

Jeep-compass-2.jpg

Jeep says this version of the Compass will be sold through the 2013 model year, maybe longer. Then it will be replaced with a model based on a Fiat chassis.

haven

Expedition Leader
Here are the actual sales figures for Jeep for the month of November 2010, and the 2011 model year through November, as reported by Chrysler

Vehicle sales
Grand Cherokee...Nov 10,984...YTD 71,882
Wrangler...Nov 6,552...YTD 86,083
Liberty...Nov 3,398...YTD 44,555
Patriot...Nov 2,754...YTD 34,153
Compass...Nov 432...YTD 15,519
Commander...Nov 82...YTD 8,036

Total Nov 24,202 YTD 260,228

http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do;jsessionid=0DC7A2B24B11C95DC5E410FF94851F38?&id=9401

Compass sales took a big dip in November. Dealers stopped ordering the old model, and customers waited for the new model. Even with this decline, Compass and Patriot sales make up 19% of overall Jeep sales.

haven

Expedition Leader
"Why is the trunk space getting shorter"

The Compass dimensions and sheet metal are the same as the old model from the driver's door to the rear bumper. Only the front end styling and interior have been changed.

Then you need to go back and compare with an XJ from the 90s and see that they are indeed shorter from the rear seat to the inside side of the rear door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat