New Member, my dakota.

ADKdakota

Hey guys, I just joined the forum a few days ago but I've been looking around for a while. There are some really nice vehicles on the forum and its interesting to read/see what everyone is doing with them.

Just a few pictures of my truck from today. It was covered in dirt/mud for the last couple of days but it rained like crazy here today so it looks kinda clean. Figured I'd take some pictures before it dried and looked like a truck covered in dirt/mud again ;)

Its a 2001 SLT, 5 speed that I bought last June. Since I bought it I've had 4:10 gears put in, built a new exhaust for it (3" manifolds back with high flow cats) with a spintech muffler dumped under the bed before the rear axle, and put an air intake on it. I just got the bed cap for $250 about a week ago, its a Leer, about 7 years old and has Yakima gutter mounts and 1A towers. It was white when I bought it which just didn't work for me on the dark blue truck so I used Plastidip to make it a textured flat black until spring when I'm going to color match it to the truck. The wheels and bumpers are also done in Plastidip, which has held up incredibly well, which I had doubts about. I initially did it to see if I'd like everything black with intentions to make it permanent (powdercoat and paint) but its tough stuff when prepped right and put on thick. Plus other little things I'm forgetting I'm sure....

I was going to put 33's on it and crank the torsion bars to clear them, but decided against it because the IFS on these trucks isn't exactly bulletproof. It had cooper tires that were like 29.5x9.5x15 when I bought it, and the tread looked like something that belonged on a toyota yaris and had terrible traction on anything other than dry pavent, so they had to go. It's on 31x10.5x15 BFG AT's right now, although I'd like something a little taller to fill in the wheel well a little more and increase the contact patch but its nice not having to deal with rubbing on the frame or replacing the ball joints all the time like 33+ tires are known to cause on these trucks.

Future plans are to fabricate a roof basket that will actually span between the crossbars, rather than sit on top, if that make sense. I want to keep it lower profile because the crossbars are already pretty high off the cap and I don't want to have gear 3 feet high off the roof of the truck. I also would like to make some sort of a light bar that mounts through the grill mesh and to the metal bracing behind the grill and put a couple of off road lights there, as well as a couple on the basket or crossbar. I'll eventually get a set of Cragar soft 8's and fabricate some steel front and rear bumpers because it annoys me that manufacturers put bumpers on trucks that can handle any sort of solid impact. I would like to put some sort of limited slip or locker in the rear end eventually. I'd lift it but anything other than a body lift is extremely hard to find and overpriced for these trucks and the rear suspension has a surprising amount of flex stock, the IFS however has about as much flex as a shopping cart....Maybe a SAS if I get a new daily driver.

I left my apprenticeship with the pipefitters union last November after getting laid off...again....and went back to college. Trying to mod this thing isn't easy with the amount of time I'm able to work while going to school over full time with all the expensive *** hobbies I got myself into haha.

Its not an expo vehicle right now, more of a work/play truck adapted to both hauling my welding equipment and materials around and weekend camping/hiking/snowboarding trips into the mountains with the occasional off road hell raising here and there. My girlfriend and I have been talking about taking it across the country, so I'm going to have to turn it into one before long.

Anyway, I'm sure you're sick of reading by now if you even made it this far lol, here's a few pictures.

DSC00311.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

DSC00308.jpg

DSC00307.jpg

poriggity

Explorer
Beautiful truck. As far as the SAS goes.. They work, and can work well, even on a daily driver, if setup well. That being said, if it is truly going to be an overland expedition vehicle, IMHO, there is not a thing wrong with leaving the IFS.

Scott

ADKdakota

Yeah, the IFS isn't that horrible, its actually a quite capable truck. The rear flex is actually pretty impressive for a stock truck and I think it helps compensate for the lack in the front a little bit. I've pushed it pretty hard on trails and it's surprised me....The BFG AT's don't like mud like a MT but neither do I, so that's okay with me.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Have you thought about running 33X10.50 BFGs? I ran them for a few years on a Jeep Cherokee I had, and I loved them. I wonder how they would rub, and if they did if a 1" body lift would solve the problem. Also, don't sell yourself short. If you are doing trips in it, it's and expedition rig.

ADKdakota

The truck is a 4.7L V8.

I could run 33x10.5 without rubbing I'm sure, might have to crank the torsion bars just a little bit but they'd fit. The biggest thing was the added stress on the ball joints. The upper ball joints are known to fail on these trucks and bigger tires are known to cause problems with premature wear. I was looking to buy 33x12.5 but they were going to be pricey to special order locally and shipping online was rough. I hate Wal-Mart but bit the bullet because Sam's Club had a good price on the 31x10.5s so I went with those.

Perdue

Observer
Nice looking truck, man! I ran a 285/75-16 (metric 33x11.50) on my truck for 50k and the ball-joints were still good when the truck was sold. Both uppers had been replaced with Moog units prior to me buying the truck. As long as they're taken care of, I think it's ok. If nothing else, you can probably clear a 32" tire without cranking the torsion bars and just trimming some.

ADKdakota

Thank you. I want to run bigger tires but the price was right on the 31s. I may up the size in the future when I get soft 8's and sell these, we'll see. My ball joints are all origional as far as I know and the truck has 70k on it, so I was kinda paranoid about stressing the front end more than I needed to...If I do end up getting bigger tires I'll probably go with 33x12.5s. I plan on building new front and rear bumpers next summer so front bumper clearance wouldnt be an issue, I'll just get a lower backspace to make sure I clear the frame.

ADKdakota

Picked up two Blazer 6 1/4" 100 watt off road lights today that I'll be recessing into the grill if I can make it work, if not, I'll probably just mount them to the stock bumper until I build my steel bumper early next summer and incorporate a light bar into that. I was going to strip off some of the rubber coating off the Yakima cross bar and weld some tabs on it to mount them to but I'd like to be able to use them with my high beams when nobody is around, so I think the grill area is a better plan.

I was going to go with Hella 500FFs but I got two of these for $30 after the 20% off online only offer. They have a pretty heavy duty steel housing and the lense is pretty thick, plus they're already 100 watt bulbs vs the 55 watt Hellas. No covers or wiring but if the lights aren't on the roof I shouldn't need covers for them to be legal while not in use on the road, and I have a wiring kit in the garage with another set of smaller H3 foglights that I cant remember the purpose of so I'm using that. I might put a clear protective film over them to protect them from stones though. Heres a link to them, they seem pretty damn solid to me, and they aren't plastic which is a plus.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product__6250352-P_N3151A_A|GRP2044___

I'll post progress pics in the thread as I go, probably tomorrow.

cowboy63645

Adventurer
Nice find on the lights! They look identical to my 100 watt KC lights, and if they perform the same, you will be very hapy with them! I have mine mounted to a grizzle grill guard that I picked up cheap off of craigslist.

TurboChris

Adventurer
IMO, I don't see 33's overly stressing out your front end components if you're primarily driving it on the street with a little 4wheeling on the side... and I would seriously consider a 1" body lift to help with the clearance. Beween that and a little trimming here and there and whatever else you can muster up......I'd bet you'd be just fine. Find a 4 wheel shop to talk to ..... Also, don't sell yourself short. I like your truck....a lot. It's a nice looking truck. It'll likely never be a true expedition rig like the hard core world traveling guys....but they are a small percentage of the trucks here....it's a fine expo rig to most of us...the best expo rig is the one you USE and I think yours will do just fine.

ADKdakota

Yeah. Like I said before, it was more of the good price on the 31s that made up my mind over 33s. We'll see. The truck definitely has the power to turn bigger tires, especially with the 4.10s. I just like minimizing headaches. Flatbedding a vehicle from the middle of nowhere is a hassle, even with AAA, and fixing front end components on the trail or side of the road is a pain. Plus the 31s don't kill my gas mileage. By the time I wear through these 31s I'll have a new daily and can SAS the Dakota and I'll be going much bigger than 33s, so I'll hold off for now.

After a test fit it looks like I'll be fabbing brackets to mount the lights to. There's a couple bumper mount bolts that are in a good location to bolt the brackets to. The brackets will go under the grill and up a little bit so the light will be centered in front of the grill. This will make the lights independent from the grill making the wiring route a little easier too.

Last edited:

ADKdakota

So mounted up the brackets and got an idea of any changes I need to make....Everything fit well except the grill clips the back of the lights when I try to open the hood.

The brackets need to be extended about 1 1/2" for the grill to clear the lights when I open the hood. Other than that, the brackets will be painted black but this is the general look. Heres a few pictures of the progress.

DSC00313.jpg

DSC00317.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat