New Member, New Rover

Hello All, I'm a long time lurker but just got a new (to me) LR3. It's an 08 with 85000 miles. Just wondering if there is anything I need to know right off the bat or the first mods I should start looking in to.
Thanks.rover.jpg

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
welcome aboard- sweet ruck. grab some spare airbags for the suspension, or replace and use existing as spares. Add an ARB, lift it, tires and go near about anywhere in all comfort. Congrats!!

Definitely need to look in to getting in to some spare airbags. Do you know anything about the coil conversions? I hear of people doing them but I haven't seen much online.

Welcome to the LR3 club! Your going to love your truck. I'd start with a good pair of tires, I run the General Grabbers AT2 and love them. If your not off to Africa don't fret about the airbags quite yet, I'd find a good shop to take a look at them, but if well maintained they will last you a while. The only issue I have had with my LR3 is getting it unstuck, the buggers are super heavy so I'd invest in a good shovel, and a pair of maxxtrax ASAP. Most importantly go drive it off road that is where they shine!!!

unseenone

Explorer
As far as reasonable preventative maintenance you should consider the following;

Change front and rear differential fluids, replace with royal purple. Take note of the condition of the old fluid. A good indy should be able to do it. Use caution to fill properly, you do not fill these to the hole, you put in a specific amount of fluid.

Change the Transfer case fluids, replace with Royal purple.

Change the transmission pan with a metal one, and new filter (kit). Put in new Land Rover specific OEM fluid ONLY.

Replace the brake light switch and brake light bulbs (OEM only).

Check for proper operation of roof drains, and inspect for water damage from any previous leaks around the A pillar. Additionally, check the plastic cowl, at the base of the windshield for warping. This is a common leak area. Additionally, consider replacing the outer plastic cover and grommet snaps Left and Right on the windshield. Originals are known to begin leaking at some point, and my experience is the original plastic cracks internally with age on the hold downs. The last one I got in, seems to be a bit more rugged than the original, so perhaps they have improved it.

Consider the age of the battery and realize many faults that occur seemingly unrelated are due to battery failure or weakness.

Replace the swing arm bolts with new OEM improved version. See pictures and write up here. http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=19422&page=2

Plan on replacing all the belts and tension pulleys at about 100k.

A good independent shop can carry out all of these items at a very reasonable price.

You can order the parts online. I suggest http://www.landrovermerriamparts.com

It would be nice to learn about areas for adventuring in your area.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I plan on going in and having all the fluids changed soon. I'm quite excited to get out and do some exploring in the truck.

Scott Brady

Founder
They are amazing trucks. I really enjoyed my time with the diesel V6 unit we used in Australia. The improvement in reliability over my DII is remarkable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333