New Overland Explorer Base Camp

HowardH

Adventurer
My eagerly anticipated Base Camp is in my possession and recently returned from it's shake down trip. Just under 1900 miles in four days. https://adobe.ly/3Nhs0fV

A brief recap. My F350 was set to arrive initially in February but arrived in May. It was supposed to have a 40 gallon plus 25-gallon tanks. It arrived with the 25 gallon outside the rail tank only. Of course, mounted where OEV's mounted the gray water tank. At considerable expense I purchased and installed the between the rails aft of the rear axle 40-gallon tank. Backordered parts......... etc.

I was reasonably expecting the camper to be complete and, in my possession, late May/Early June. I took delivery 10/9/22. That is the frustrating part. Now the good.

Camper is mounted on 2022 F350 with 7.3 gas motor. OEV was to deliver to Bishs in Bozeman MT which is where I purchased it when they were Big Sky RV. Instead OEV were extremely gracious and accommodated me by driving the camper to Bishs, getting final USA inspections, then drove it to Spokane. They dropped it off at the airport, I flew in from a trip, the next day, and drove it home. Super service.

Some initial thoughts.
  • The gas motor was a good choice. 10,000 less $ and 800 less lbs.
  • Closer to GVW than I expected to be.
  • Build quality is top notch. Design, materials and labor are great.
  • Love the lifting roof. The lower profile while traveling really works for me.
  • First glance it lacks storage but that is not really the case.
  • Really like the dinette layout.
  • Was unsure of the half induction half propane cooktop. Seemed a needless complication of fuels etc. The more I use it the more I like it.
  • Lighting is nice but will need to add more exterior lights.
  • It came with a Thetford cassette toilet. I have already removed it and will use El-Dukee from Fish Fighters. El-Dukee™ Trash Can / Toilet Combo - Fish Fighter® Products (fishfighterproducts.com)
Shake down trip was to Prince George BC than west to the Nechako Reservoir. See link above for pics. Camper performed admirably. It froze every night.

IMG_2659.jpgIMG_4640.jpg

IMG_2654.jpgIMG_2655.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

Ninelitetrip

Looks like a nice shakedown cruise. Max weight on your platform is 11,500 lbs.? Max payload @4100 lbs.? Did you have a chance to weigh the truck before the installation?

HowardH

Adventurer
@HowardH Congratulations and thank you for posting up.

If you ever sleep with the top down I'd be most interested in reading your impressions, eg: room with the soft sides folded, usability of toilet etc, quietness of cabin vs top up etc.

will do but hopefully it’ll never happen. You can’t access the cab over bed with the top down.

Trail Talk

Sweet rig, Howard! Indeed, the people at OEV are fantastic. Odd, the 40gal rear tank was standard on our ‘20 cab chassis.

Your first photo showing the exhaust pipe under the storage compartment reminds me I still need to install the Ford chrome tip extension to direct the moisture from the exhaust a bit further out. As it is in your picture, the contents of that compartment get rather wet!

HowardH

Adventurer
Sweet rig, Howard! Indeed, the people at OEV are fantastic. Odd, the 40gal rear tank was standard on our ‘20 cab chassis.

Your first photo showing the exhaust pipe under the storage compartment reminds me I still need to install the Ford chrome tip extension to direct the moisture from the exhaust a bit further out. As it is in your picture, the contents of that compartment get rather wet!

Interesting, I had no idea. I will monitor mine for that very thing.

What about extending further back and a small down turn right at the rear bumper?

Ninelitetrip

It was standard on mine. I thought I was selecting a second tank not a replacement for the standard tank. Ford’s online ordering never made that point.

I believe the 20-gallon option is meant for tow trucks, to downsize from the 40-gallon, not to increase to 60 gallons total. Ordering is clear as mud sometimes.

HowardH

Adventurer
Yeah, I had lots but it seems to be working so well I’m not seeing the need. At some point I will upgrade the tire size, probably to 35’s.

So far most roads have been relatively smooth. Need to see how it handles washboards.

Trail Talk

What is the front bumper OEV installed? Looks good! Did they discuss Radflo’s with you as a future upgrade?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman