New Pelican coolers

Honu

lost on the mainland
I bet also the weight of the lid and ease to lift it then is important ?

looked at a large 120 or something size yeti I think it was a lot heavier
I used to carry a cooler and am going to start up again
one its handy for the kids to help and get what they want etc.. and a arb fridge and cooler is a great combo :)

our boat coolers we had these tops built for them that had a edge of course :) but then were a marine laminate so they doubled as a table ! and things would not slide off built well but light enough the lid was not to heavy and strong enough since the bottom was against the lid so you could even stand on them

while you can use the stock lid I think the smoother flatter edged one was a cool idea I might try ?

I would agree.....for instance, you can't lock down the lid on the coleman, which for my use is actually a bonus. My wife and I do a lot of camping and my wife has nerve disorders and rheumatoid arthritus so simple and easy is the ticket for us, but well built too.

xplrn42

Adventurer
I bet also the weight of the lid and ease to lift it then is important ?

Most definitely, that was the problem with our trusted (one day) igloo we nicknamed "SquatchCooler" because every time you opened the lid, it would scream at you....crappy hinges. :) But we always said, we'd know if someone was stealing our food at night. But the lid was difficult to crack open, sealed very well, well, it sealed very well in maybe four spots.

The extreme we purchased is very easy to open, I can pop it open with two fingers. The latches on the Yeti would have been nearly impossible for my wife to open first thing in the morning, so sadly, it was out. But I'm very happy to be saving that cash as it's going into a "Truck Fridge savings jar".

LJMax

My pelican sales rep brought one of the new Pelican coolers into my shop a few months back. My only hesitation about them was the latches. Has anyone had any problems with them breaking?

no-pistons

Adventurer
I recently sold my Pelican cooler, but here is a funny video I just came across

But you didn't answer why you sold it? Now that it's gone you can tell us :)

Well the truth is that I was not impressed with it. Ice retention was not much if any better than my old Igloo cooler built in 1989 or something like that. Combine that with the enormous size and ridiculous weight, it was not worth it all to me.

I really wanted to like this cooler and took as many steps as possible in trying to convince myself.

First I chilled the cooler beforehand by filling it up with like 6 or so big blue ice packs. I made sure all drinks and food were refrigerated before going in. I then dropped in a block of ice along with 10 pounds of ice cubes. I covered the cooler with a blanket to keep the sun off and ran the rear AC whenever I was driving to keep the back where the cooler was located cool. After about 32-36 hours the block was fine, but all 10 pounds of ice cubes were always 100% melted.

So it was just not worth it to lug that monster around when the performance wasn't much better than my old igloo.

I think the problem with any cooler and off roading is that the constant moving and shaking creates friction and melts the ice much quicker compared to a cooler sitting in camp for 5-7 days straight.

I'll just get a fridge eventually and do away with the annoyance of buying and using ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Honu

lost on the mainland
I still like both coolers and fridge :) kids nice to have coolers freeze the juice boxes and some gallon jugs of juice or whatever let them have something they get into etc.. keep the other stuff in the fridge ;) all my other food sits in the spare cooler space

its never a one or the other for me its always both :)

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
Well said Honu.

A fridge is great until you want a margarita. Best to pack things you don't want to find soggy in the fridge and have a cooler with some cocktail ice. My eyes are peeled for a good cooler to compliment my 30L fridge.

The new coleman marine xtreme line looks sharp; I'd love to see this included in a comparison with the big guys.
Heard anything on gaskets/wall thickness etc?

For the price I'd sure consider adding some latches to this and getting out there:
http://www.coleman.com/product/70-q.../3000001845?contextCategory=8550#.UmScKPmsh8E

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Maybe going a little off-topic here...

We have a couple of 5-6yr-old 70qt Coleman Xtreme coolers at my place of work and they work pretty darn well, but what I have noticed is that they do have insulation in the lids. None of the Coleman coolers I've seen in the last couple of years (including the 75qt Xtreme that I purchased) have had insulation in the lids, and they are not as good at retaining ice as the old coolers at work. I like the look of the new Xtreme series coolers, but I'll reserve judgment until I can actually put my hands on one. I think that all the cooler manufacturers are rather optimistic on their number-of-days ice retention ratings. That being said I do want a decent cooler that's going to be rugged enough to last for years... And the coolers from Coleman and Igloo are never as durable as the higher-end coolers.
:safari-rig:
In the end I'm choosing to purchase a Yeti 50qt for the following reasons in descending order of importance; Shape/Size, Weight, Durability, Availability.
1. The back of my FJC is a short space with the back seat up, but the Yeti 50's exterior dimensions of 24"Lx17-3/8"W will allow it to fit back there without having to position across the rear floor like a longer, 'standard' chest-style cooler.
2. No matter what anyone says about 'true interior capacity' at 25lbs the Yeti 50 has a decent interior capacity and yet is much lighter than the nearest equivalent 45qt (35lbs) or 65qt (48lbs) Pelican coolers. I want a durable cooler, not an armored cooler.
3. For my uses, and with a distinct lack of large omnivores in South Texas, the Yeti will be just as durable as any Engel, Grizzly, IRP, Canyon, or Pelican cooler.
4. Finally, Yeti is based here in Texas and it seems every freaking hardware or industrial supply store and is selling them now to the oilfield and construction industries hereabouts (including the company I work for, lol) versus the mostly non-presence of most of the high-end cooler brands. I can actually get Yeti parts in as many places as I can get parts for Igloo or Coleman coolers.
So I'll have a Yeti 50 soon... and one of the smallest-size ARB or Engel fridge down the road. :drool:

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Well said Honu.

A fridge is great until you want a margarita. Best to pack things you don't want to find soggy in the fridge and have a cooler with some cocktail ice. My eyes are peeled for a good cooler to compliment my 30L fridge.

The new coleman marine xtreme line looks sharp; I'd love to see this included in a comparison with the big guys.
Heard anything on gaskets/wall thickness etc?

For the price I'd sure consider adding some latches to this and getting out there:
http://www.coleman.com/product/70-q.../3000001845?contextCategory=8550#.UmScKPmsh8E

I had no idea they redesigned their lineup, we have one that is now almost 4 years old and gets used about 20 days a year without any issues.

Honu

lost on the mainland
said this in another thread also

I do say pulling out a can of beverage out of icy water always seems more refreshing than the fridge ? not sure why :) cold wet hands maybe but I feel its so true :)

sleddogsam

I picked up a pelican pro gear elite cooler at Costco last July. They were selling the white 35 for around $125. It's a bit small but it was the only cooler to hold ice for 6 days trip out the whole group. Not worth it at full retail, but excellent back-up if bought at the right price. Of all the cooler reviews I looked at (cabelas/yeti, Colman Xtreme, and pelican), the light the colour the longer the ice seemed to last.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues